Mitchell, ON, far enough to be quaint but close enough to visit

Default Not sure what to do!!!

My two yr old will not leave the dogs alone. He use to be really good with them and now he won't leave them alone, we have a beagle and akita/sheppard who are both ausome with kids. I had my 4 yr old and when he was 5 weeks old we got the beagle, so she's been raised around infants and children and the other dog we've had for 2 yrs and shes so ausome just gets up and moves when shes had enough of him. But he just won't stop pushing them and lying on them, the beagle won't move so she's started to bite him (a lite nip) when he's bothing her, I've timed him out, moved her to my room, sat beside her to protect her, told him no and he's hurting her, I'm lost he so mean and we've considered maybe getting rid of them but its not fair to them he's in the wrong i don't know what else to do and i would only consider getting rid of them to nice families who would take good care of them and they are both inside dogs who love to be out when its nice and go for walks, I just don't know is this a stage????? :x

I cant help you out as my son who be 2 in 1 month does the same thing. We cant reason with him at all. He just doesnt get it. We have tried everything from time outs to putting the dog in another room. Dont get rid of the dogs. They will hopefully understand soon.

We went through the same thing. My boys went through a stage where they were relentless. They would not leave the poor dog alone. He didn't nip at them but he is the most patient dog I know and he was starting to growl. I started putting the dog in the room with the door closed. He likes to sleep in there anyways and this gave him a break, especially when I couldn't keep a very close eye. I just kept telling them, leave the dog alone. You are hurting him. Eventually they stopped and they are understanding. I tought them to give him scratches and little pats and then praising them like crazy. It really seemed to work. Its a hard stage when they don't understand that what they are doing is hurting the dog. Just try to keep them apart if you can't be there to watch. Growling and nipping are warnings ... they lead up to the bite. It will get better. Just try to redirect with a stern no.

Expert Forum User

We have the same problem with Julian. He likes to chase the dogs around with his trucks and will even back the little one into a corner and then ram the truck into her!!! We tell him not to chase them but it seems when he's tired or bored he still does it. He even says "Don't chase the puppies" while he's doing it
    I have no suggestions, only sympathy and the hope that they will grow out of it soon!
    Jodie
    Mom to 3 boys (9, 7 and 4) &
    our little girl (born Dec 2013)
    www.brightmindschildcare.ca
    www.jodie.lovablelabels.ca

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

When my DS was younger he was a PITA to that darn cat. lol I just kept telling him no, that it hurt, and instead of putting him in time out, I sat with them and helped him stroke and pat that cat, while giving him lots of praise. If you're trying to cook dinner, and the dogs are getting peeved, you should seperate them. I honestly think it's just a phase. Don't get rid of your dogs!! They will learn!!

Remember..

This too shall pass..

Mommabearof2

My Daughter is the same way with our cat. I really truly believe that its like they are siblings with the animal. I know it sounds crazy. but she plays with the cat the same as her brother. She has started to leave the cat along since we explained that it hurts the cats feelings and she would be upset if someone did it to her!...

Just a suggestion. You never know what will work with them!

I don't have a dog, but I do have 2 birds. My son bothers them every opportunity he gets. Must be a 2/3 yrs old thing. I do notice however that it is sometimes a cry for my attention when I am busy with the baby or on the phone. Kids are all about getting our attention, weather it is negative or positive. Perhpas he knows it bothers you and is doing it to get your attention as well? Just a thought.

MBM
    Formerly Mega Baby Mom:
    Mother of 2 boys born May 2004 and September 2006!

"I don't pretend to have all the answers. I don't pretend to even know what the questions are. Hey, where am I?"
    ~ Jack Handey