Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! Mommy2Cuties's Avatar

Default Someone else pick

Stupid school, stupid stupid school is stressing me out.

I should have never dropped out but having a tramatic experience sort of makes it hard to continue with criminology LOL.

Someone pick a degree/diploma program for me and I will just do it. Frick it I can't think anymore LOL.

BTW: Pole dancing diploma is not an option I just have this hunch that someone is going to go that route.

So i was thinking of going back and finishing that or going into nursing, or social work, or taking a two-three year program at Fanshawe (ie: Dental Hygiene or something). Blah blah blah..... like I said someone go sign me up and I will just show up. Oh and teaching, I thought of teaching but then I am worried about the job market afterwards.

ETA: Someone mentioned social science degree (a gf of mine at work) but I am not sure what that is LOL.
    Last edited by Mommy2Cuties; 01-23-2009 at 02:39 PM.
    I stole Turtle's Lollipop! xoxo

Nicole, mama to Miss A (April 2005), Miss K (Sept 2007), Angel Baby (August 2008), and Baby A (June 2009)

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Mommy2Cuties View Post
    BTW: Pole dancing diploma is not an option I just have this hunch that someone is going to go that route.
    I bet your DH will disagree! Mine would love me to go that route

I applied for the RPN program and Fanshawe for Sept. I vote you apply for that with me.
    Stacey

Quote Originally Posted by Stacey View Post
    I bet your DH will disagree! Mine would love me to go that route

I applied for the RPN program and Fanshawe for Sept. I vote you apply for that with me.
    That's funny cause he told me "whatever you do I will be happy" and I said "fine, pole dancing PhD here I come" and he said "sure" surprise, surprise.

RPN? that's practical nurse right? I actually thought about nursing The whole RPN, RN, Practical Nurse thing makes my head spin.
    Last edited by Mommy2Cuties; 01-23-2009 at 11:52 AM.

Nicole, mama to Miss A (April 2005), Miss K (Sept 2007), Angel Baby (August 2008), and Baby A (June 2009)

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! mamabear's Avatar

Do nursing.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I think social work and then work with families that are also dealing with CF.

the best counselors are ones that have been there

I agree...I would get into nursing. There is a large need for nurses now, and probably for a while to come. Finding a job once you graduate would probably be guarenteed. I would just HIGHly suggest that you stay away from dental hygiene, unless you are willing to move out of this area. I am a hygienist but am only working part time because there is a lack of jobs and sooo many hygienists. I recently went for a job interview and the lady interviewing me said she had been seeing about 13 people per day for that past week! Its insane. Even though the wages may look tempting, there are other things to consider. It is very hard on your body(back) and alot of people suffer with arm/wrist problems later on. Job burnout is very common. Usually, but not always, dentists can be difficult to work for..they are usually pretty anal..because they are perfectionists and very detail oriented...can cause a lot of stress ( and I am not saying allll dentists are like this) Also, usually you do not recieve any benefits or extras. Anywho, the whole point of this...go into nursing!

Wow a lot of votes for nursing. Which I have been leaning towards (sure I want to be a doctor but that can be branched from nursing ).

The only thing that does NOT appeal to me is the shift work.

The social work is appealing so I could work with other famillies dealing with CF but there are so little out there (only 3,000 people in Canada are affected by CF) that it may be difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by shana View Post
    I agree...I would get into nursing. There is a large need for nurses now, and probably for a while to come. Finding a job once you graduate would probably be guarenteed. I would just HIGHly suggest that you stay away from dental hygiene, unless you are willing to move out of this area. I am a hygienist but am only working part time because there is a lack of jobs and sooo many hygienists. I recently went for a job interview and the lady interviewing me said she had been seeing about 13 people per day for that past week! Its insane. Even though the wages may look tempting, there are other things to consider. It is very hard on your body(back) and alot of people suffer with arm/wrist problems later on. Job burnout is very common. Usually, but not always, dentists can be difficult to work for..they are usually pretty anal..because they are perfectionists and very detail oriented...can cause a lot of stress ( and I am not saying allll dentists are like this) Also, usually you do not recieve any benefits or extras. Anywho, the whole point of this...go into nursing!
    not to mention you could end with a pateint like me who bites if you move too fast lol

I would do the dental hygiene route. It's good money, you make your own hours and can work for various dentists. Weekends and holidays off, no nights. Relatively clean.

Being a nurse myself, I often don't encourage people to do it. Don't get me wrong, it's great money, it's rewarding most of the time, but there are lots of cons...weekends, nights, holidays (including Christmas, which SUCKS, because you have to work every other Christmas. The year you have Christmas off you work New Year's. It's a no-win situation). And it's a dirty job, unless you work somewhere that's not "dirty", but most nursing jobs involve some type of dirty work You can get benefits, whereas with dental hygiene you likely don't get benefits. Hmmmm. Such a tough decision. If I could do it all over again I think I would be a teacher. I know the politics suck but look at all the time off you get. And if you have your undergrad, it's only one more year!!

Hmm someone mentioned I should go into social science (whatever that is... criminology, psychology, anthropology etc.) but what can I do with that? Anyone know?

Funkymommy I hear ya on the nursing and it is the shift work that discourages me. Plus, having two sick kids at home would make it really hard on me esp. if I ended up with a CF patient

Quote Originally Posted by Mommy2Cuties View Post
    Hmm someone mentioned I should go into social science (whatever that is... criminology, psychology, anthropology etc.) but what can I do with that? Anyone know?

Funkymommy I hear ya on the nursing and it is the shift work that discourages me. Plus, having two sick kids at home would make it really hard on me esp. if I ended up with a CF patient
    I've looked after the odd CF patient. I once looked after a teenager admitted to the ICU and it was so tough to look after him. It's the kids that make it hard for me. I do adult ICU but the odd time we do teenagers. It was tough. I can't imagine what it would be like for you, knowing the ins and out of CF.

social science is a faculty not a career path per se. It ranges from geography, sociology, psychology and so on. Unless your willing to do some graduate work it is not really a good choice. I have a soc. degree and got a job after school but not a great one I had to go back to school again...twice.

Honestly, I think there's no way around it Nicole you need to do some more thinking to find out what is right for you. Otherwise you may end up like me and have to go back again to do something your truly passionate about.
    I don't want to come across as preachy or anything I just think you don't sound ready to make a choice. Go talk to people doing the careers your thinking of, forget about the money aspect and find out what will make you passionate.
    Everyone talks about how its great to go back to school..and it is but I think all of us would say it is very difficult too--On yourself, your family and especially your kids. Its a big sacrafice and if you choose something you sort of want to do it may not be enough to pull you through the bad times at school kwim?
    I am up every night until about midnight, I have zero social life becuase I'm always studying or with the kids, I feel guilty when I'm at school and guilty when I'm with the kids, I pass my dh in the hallway when we trade of childcare and weekends are no different than week days. I'm pretty average for the full time mom/student too. Its hard and you need to really want it to make it work. I don't want to scare you just be sure you make the right choice.
    Last edited by Carol; 01-23-2009 at 05:08 PM.
    Cole is 8 years old! January, 2005
    Nate is 5 years old! January, 2008
    Judah is 2 years old! October, 2010
    Avery Grace born & passed Feb 4, 2007.

"Why did I not know that birth is the pinnacle where women discover the courage to become mothers?"
    Anita Diamant (The Red Tent)

Expert Forum User

what about massage therapy?
    you can set your own hours.
    you can work at home - at others homes - or in a clinic....

I think it's a great career - and a skill you can keep for life - take it anywhere (maybe even back to bc if you moved???)

I think you should go through to be a Midwife. Crazy hours though too with that one.

Quote Originally Posted by again View Post
    what about massage therapy?
    you can set your own hours.
    you can work at home - at others homes - or in a clinic....

I think it's a great career - and a skill you can keep for life - take it anywhere (maybe even back to bc if you moved???)
    One thing to consider though is this is super hard on the body, I know my uncle is wrecked from doing it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast