Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default To go back or not....

So I am officially crazy. I have my 4 year honours BA in Childhood and Social Institutions, I am almost done my B.Ed..... no problem right? Well I am due in July. I am obviously not applying for any jobs for Sept so now I am stuck feeling like I'm doing NOTHING in the fall. Yes taking care of 2 kids is something but I have never had a kid and not been in school. I was in school when I had DS and went back 3 weeks after he was born and I've been there ever since (minus a couple of summer months).

So I sit here and think.... hmmm maybe I should get another degree? I'd like my Masters at some point but that's not what I'm talking about....I'm thinking another undergrad degree. I have 4 credits towards another one already so I really only need two more years for a third degree. I can also get OSAP for another two years. BUT I am already going to have a 500-600$ OSAP payment to make.

I guess OSAP is part of my push and pull. If I go back to school I don't have to worry about my OSAP payment yet (which we could NOT pay, I'd be going on intrest relief until I'd be working). But do I really want to make it go up MORE? Also I feel guilty that I'll be home with no income coming in and feeling unproductive.

So what are your thoughts. DH says if I really want to he's not going to stop me, but then in another breath he jokes that my degrees can keep us warm at night. There is sort of a point to going back. I need some extra undergrad credits to up my "value" for teaching (to add teachables etc) which I plan on doing sometime anyways. It was going to be more of a one at a time and online though.

The other thing, I could just take additional qualification courses through the teachers college over the fall. I need to find out some more info, but does anyone know if I can get OSAP for these? It would probably go better if I was doing those than if I was doing more undergrad courses.

Now that I have moved onto talking in circles..... thoughts?
    Mommy to DS Jan '06, DD July '09, DS Feb '11, DD Dec '12
    Wife to my wonderful DH of 8 years
    http://handsbetterfull.blogspot.com/

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! mamabear's Avatar

My thoughts are that you're my hero. I'm so stressed out right now with all my assignments piling up and everything else in my life that I was just thinking last night about not going back to school next term.

I really don't know anything about teaching, but if you want to get the extra courses done sometime and you want to do it soon, you might as well, right?

Why not wait and see what QECO suggests you need to move up the pay scale? THis way, when you are ready for a teaching position, you won't have to worry about courses.

Good luck with all your decisions.
    mama to 3

Expert Forum User

I would also see what QECCO (sp?) has to say. In the mean time, AQ courses are always a good thing to do to boost your resume. I would suggest taking Reading Part 1, Special Education Part 1, or take your Primary Qual (if you are JI) or Intermediate Qual (if you are PJ).

Good plans ladies! I was thinking AQ's: Spec Ed 1, Primary additional basic, guidance part 1, library part 1. Hadn't thought about reading???

Not sure what the smily means momof2DS??? I'm not up on my odd smilies.

Good plan, just be careful. The reason I am writing this is because you can't be forced to teach a grade you aren't qualified for. So, if you do your primary, you could wind up teaching 1/2 time Sk and the other 1/2 Grade 8 or some other weird combo. Just a thought.

I don't know if QECO will make you wait until you have your certificate, but it never hurts to check and see what they suggest.
    mama to 3

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! Mommy2Cuties's Avatar

what sort of degree would you be wanting to get? Would it be completely different from what you have now or would it compliment it?

I dont think you are nuts. I am thinking about going back and I already have two kids and currently 5 months preggo. Now if I could just nail down a program LOL.
    I stole Turtle's Lollipop! xoxo

Nicole, mama to Miss A (April 2005), Miss K (Sept 2007), Angel Baby (August 2008), and Baby A (June 2009)

I think I'm going for no for this fall. It seems like Mike would let me go back just because he knows I want to. I really don't want to put us more in debt if he isn't sure about it too.

I would just be going back for another BA. Probably history major or something like that. Just to increase my pay category and allow for me to get more additional qualifications.

I think I am just going to focus on the additional qualification courses I can take for now. DH seems much happier with that plan lol