Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The catholic/public school question

I have noticed a number of post about the Catholic and Public School Board debate etc.

Here is an interesting link for a group petioning the government to have only ONE school system for all.

http://www.oneschoolsystem.org/docum...emPetition.pdf

The Petition:

http://www.oneschoolsystem.org/petition.html

I am sure many of you, Catholic or Protestant or other will find this quite the debate.

Ali

This is an issue that hits close to home. I attended private Christian school as a child and I intend to send my children to a private Christian school. We are not a high income family, nor were my parents. We will make sacrifices to do this. It makes me very upset that Ontario discriminates in its funding of schools when it comes to religion. This is a link to a website that is petitioning for fair funding of all schools, along with a summary of the United Nations ruling on how Ontario funds education. Though many people did not agree with the tax credit introduced by the Harris government, it was an attempt to rectify the discrimination that has been happening.

I guess that creating one school system would at least solve the discrimination issue; I would argue that we should all have a choice of where our children will be educated. Isn't Canada built on diversity and accepting each other for our differences?

http://www.equalfunding.org/contact_mp.html

Quote Originally Posted by Ali
    Though many people did not agree with the tax credit introduced by the Harris government, it was an attempt to rectify the discrimination that has been happening.

I guess that creating one school system would at least solve the discrimination issue; I would argue that we should all have a choice of where our children will be educated. Isn't Canada built on diversity and accepting each other for our differences?

http://www.equalfunding.org/contact_mp.html
    =D> I completely agree. It IS discrimination. If one segment of the population is getting special schooling paid for by a public system then ALL or NO denomination or culture should.

I am all for schools who get to pick and choose who attends. However, those schools should not be publicly funded.

Telling families who are not Catholic that they are not ALLOWED to attend a publicly funded school system is discriminatory and wrong. In this day and age we live in a diverse and multi-cultural Canada. We teach our children to treat everyone with mutual respect and understanding and to embrace eachother. But, as far as Catholic education goes, we have a different view. Suddenly it is an "US and THEM" philosophy. It is a double standard.

Thank-you daycaremommy! DH and I have been researching this issue at length lately. I cannot understand how we, in Canada, can rant about being non-biased and accepting and continue to allow blatant segregation within our school systems.

As an aside, fuel for my fire burned brighter when I recently attended a fundraiser at the local Catholic school with a friend whose children go there. My friend introduced me to several of the teachers and told them I was a teacher too, for the public board. One woman looked at me and said (in all seriousness) "Oh, you are the enemy" !!! WHAT!!??? In my Meg Ryan moment, I thought of nothing to say; of course I have thought of many things since.

I would have hoped that teaching religion, which supposedly espouses kindness and peace, would have rubbed off on these people. I, for one, would *not* want my children taught by an individual who chooses to think of anyone as an enemy due to their beliefs. It seems to me that this is only a breeding ground for more segregation if, in fact, this is the attitude of even some of the teachers.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Yes. But if we're going to fund Christian schools, are you advocating for funding of Muslim and other religious school?

I think everyone should get funded if we are going for equality.

Ali

Quote Originally Posted by thismama

Yes. But if we're going to fund Christian schools, are you advocating for funding of Muslim and other religious school?

That's exactly what I advocate. The group that brought this before the United Nations had representatives from the Muslim, Jewish and Christian private schools in Ontario. This is something that already happens in British Columbia and Alberta.

Quote Originally Posted by thismama

That's exactly what I advocate. The group that brought this before the United Nations had representatives from the Muslim, Jewish and Christian private schools in Ontario. This is something that already happens in British Columbia and Alberta.
    Yes, I agree. It either has to be an all or nothing scenario. We either match the financial needs of EVERY seperate school board or NO board at all.

I honestly do not think that it is financially feasible so it would end up just being one board. But, in all fairness we need to either be fair to everyone or have everyone in the same education system.

Publicly funding the schools of only one religious demonination is discriminatory and biased.

=D> =D>

Couldn't have said it better.

Expert Forum User

So people who want to pay the extra to send their child to a private school should not be allowed?? This is starting to sound like the Health Care debate.

I think the point of publicly funded schools is that they are non-denominational.
    Please always show kindness in your posts as the person receiving it may need it more than you will ever know.

SAHM to two boys, 13 and 7.

I don't think (correct me if I"m wrong) that anyone is arguing that people not be allowed to pay for private education. Rather, if society is going to publicly fund a catholic board, then other religious based boards should be given the same. IMO, since funding a board for each seperate religion is obviously out of the question, then we should put all of our eggs in one basket and create one public education system. I think the time has passed in our society that we can justify funding religious based boards using the historical or % of population reasoning.

But by all means, create your own school based on religion. I just don't think I should have to pay for it.

Edited to include:
    Or why could we not allow religion to be studied within a school in seperate classes, outside of school hours? In HS we had the Ariel program for Jewish students. They met at 8:00am for an hour of class before the regular school day started. I'm not against religion being taught in the school, just against giving preference to one practice above all others.

Super Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Quote Originally Posted by Liisa
    So people who want to pay the extra to send their child to a private school should not be allowed?? This is starting to sound like the Health Care debate.

I think the point of publicly funded schools is that they are non-denominational.
    No one is against any individual choosing to pay... just saying that it is not right to fund one but not others.

And the point here is that they ARE NOT non denominational because they publically fund the catholics school board... but not others. yes there is a non religious public school system too... but the catholic board is also government (tax) funded and it is exclusive to those who can "prove" they are catholic by means of a baptism in most places
    Help my Kaitlyn reach her goal of selling 100 boxes of Chocolate Mint Girl Guide cookies. $5 each and we dliver. PM me

http://dawnfitzgerald.myepicure.com/
    But message me directly to order or book and I can get you a special LM deal

Expert Forum User

DH is a teacher in the catholic board and we got into this discussion not too long ago (because of moving and looking into schools for DD) and he said that it is in the constitution that Ontario has a catholic school system and a public system, this is what they were told by the admisistrators at his school. Does anyone know if it really is in the constitution? I seem to think not seeing as Ontario is the only province to have this and I have always known the constitution to be a Canada wide thing, not an individual province thing. Please someone settle this debate between DH and I

Expert Forum User

i know my home owners tax dollars go to the english seperate school board because that is where we choose to have our tax dollars sent and we are choosing to send our children to a catholic school because we are a catholic family. If I had to pay put of my own pocket to send her I would.

I do agree that if one seperate school is publically funded then they all should be
    Andrea - Mommy to two beautiful girls.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitlyn'sMommy

And the point here is that they ARE NOT non denominational because they publically fund the catholics school board... but not others. yes there is a non religious public school system too... but the catholic board is also government (tax) funded and it is exclusive to those who can "prove" they are catholic by means of a baptism in most places
    Oops! We just moved here from BC and i was pretty sure you had to pay to send your kids to Catholic school there...guess I should have read more before jumping into the discussion. Sorry about that.
    Please always show kindness in your posts as the person receiving it may need it more than you will ever know.

SAHM to two boys, 13 and 7.

Found this on Wikipedia. Still can't find the section that they refer to in this quote. I'll keep digging.

"Each province deals differently with private religious schools. In Ontario the Catholic system continues to be fully publicly funded, but other faiths receive no such funding. Ontario has several private Jewish, Muslim, and Christian schools, but all are funded through tuition fees. Since the Catholic schools system is entrenched in the constitution, the Supreme Court has ruled that this system is not unconstitutional. However, the United Nations has ruled that Ontario's system is unfair."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast