Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Question elastic waist covers for cloth diapers

I am using Bummis SuperBrites and they're OK, i guess. The velcro strip cuts into his belly when he's upright so I want elastic waist covers now. I bought a bummis whisper *pant* for $6.99 at Cheeky Monkey.. HOLY CRAP expensive. ugh. He's a strange one to fit! He's got a belly with legs that don't quite match. He's almost 14lbs and he fits nicely into a NEWBORN size. It's supposed to be for up to 10lbs. Don't make sense... don't make sense...lol

Anywho, I don't want to pay that much!! I want to get about 7-10 more. I went to Zellers and Sears with no luck.

Where can I get these?!?! Recommendations?

Added: What options are there that don't cut into a big belly??
    Last edited by PurpleCat; 01-22-2009 at 02:10 PM. Reason: oopsie! i meant whisper pant... not wrap. and adding more info
    My little man was born on Oct 12/08 at home into Dad's loving hands.
    My little lady was born on July 28/11 at home... Daddy was busy keeping mom company.

I have 1 baby Santa Suit for Sale 0-3 months (http://forum.londonmoms.ca/vbclassif...&memberid=2201) or to Trade (http://forum.londonmoms.ca/104323-tr...it#post1592622). Thanks for looking!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! mamabear's Avatar

OK that's funny. When I saw you got BSWWs for $7, I was like sweet! Is that how much they cost now? LOL! Are the bigger ones more expensive or what, 'cause I remember spending $12 each on those things.

And you are finding them expensive, which means you are used to cheaper, which means you need to tell me where you are getting covers for so cheap. And BTW, I have never heard of super brites before. Wow, I'm out of the loop, huh?

OK I googled and the superbrites look just like the SWW? ...Huh?

ETA: Oh! They have gussets! Cool! But more expensive. Please explain where the dealz are at.

ETAA: OK I'm adding an extra WTF for good measure. BSWW at Cheeky Monkey are $12-14, depending on whether or not they have patterns, according to their website.
    Last edited by mamabear; 01-21-2009 at 11:15 PM.

lol.. no tips for cheap prices here. i'm still new to cloth diapering. we paid $13 and change for the super brites at cheeky monkey. that's a good price?!? serious? you're going to have to explain all the letters flying around! (B)SWW?
    My little lady was born on July 28/11 at home... Daddy was busy keeping mom company.

I have 1 baby Santa Suit for Sale 0-3 months (http://forum.londonmoms.ca/vbclassif...&memberid=2201) or to Trade (http://forum.londonmoms.ca/104323-tr...it#post1592622). Thanks for looking!

BSWW = Bummis Super Whisper Wrap.

Yeah, that's about all I know in terms of shortforms. LOL

Duh. I should have figured that one out.

Any ideas on other places to get plastic pants?

In London? Have you checked out the Funky Monkey's website?

Sorry, I don't know what I'm talking about.

ETA: I don't think you'll be able to find them for much less than $12 though.
    But seriously, did you say you got BSWWs for $6 each?

funky monkey doesn't sell those... if they do it's not on their site.

yes i'm serious! $6.99 for waterproof plastic pants.

K wait now I'm confused... Is there a specific brand you are looking for? I thought you wanted to try another brand? OK seriously I need to go to bed.

i'm looking for *any* waterproof plastic pants. no specific brand in mind.

i've only found bsww so far.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleCat View Post
    I bought a bummis whisper wrap for $6.99 at Cheeky Monkey.. HOLY CRAP expensive.
    Well I must admit that I thought you bought the BSWW for $6.99 too. Confusing statement if you didn't

Anyhow... Yeah $7 for a cheap plastic/rubber cover is a bit high IMO but you should be able to find them used for about half that. Check consignment and thrift stores as well as places like Kijiji and FullCircles.

I just paid $12 each for the newborn covers I bought (Thirsties V2) but they are the highest rated cover I could find. I figure once I'm through using them, I'll least get 50-75% of my money back on resale. I was checking out thebabywearer and most V1s sold for $6-8 USD used plus shipping. So I look at at as an investment.

If my sister wasn't having a baby soon, I'd loan you the small plastic covers I have with the elastic waist but honestly, they aren't great quality and I wouldn't pay much for them.

MM
    *sigh*

Breastfeeding Success Essentials:
    SUPPORT ~ EDUCATION ~ DETERMINATION

Beat the "Booby Traps" to Breastfeeding Success!

~The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'~

~Do or Do Not. There is no try.~
    Yoda

Maybe Walmart? I think I've seen the plastic pants there.

Expert Forum User

I picked up a pack of gerber plastic pants at walmart for $1 (for 3 or 4) just before DD was born. It was the one in woodstock. They were on clearnace though, I think they are normally like $4-5 for the pack. They sell flats there too

The pull-on plastic pants kinds are useless IME. So are the Kushies covers. IME if you can buy it at Wal-Mart or Sears (except for the flats) it's not something you want to buy at all.

If you want to hear more of my experience with them, I can post, but to sum it up they don't work and they wash horribly, to the point that they are completely useless. Seriously, I agree with MM, your best option is probably to spend the money on the better ones and then resell them (to me!! LOL!).

I had some of the Walmart plastic pants for back up (in case all the good covers were poopy) and thought that they were doing a good job for that purpose.
    The other covers I really liked were Litewrap covers (I got those at diapering decisions). They have bigger gussets which prevented the leaks we were getting with the BSWW.
    They fit really big, though. My son did not fit into the medium size (12-25 lbs) until he was almost 20 lbs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast