Thread: Home Alarm

Super Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Default Home Alarm

So we finally get possession of our new house in two weeks... and we should be excited right???? We are, but when we did our insurance stuff yesturday we found our rates were going up because of the area we are moving to :? So maybe not a big deal... but it got me thinking. I am often home alone with dd late at night because dh works shifts. So now I am thnking I should maybe consider a home alarm system. Does anyone have one??? If so who do you got through??? Do you recommend it (ie worth the $$)??? How mch should I really expect it to cost me??? I did do some looking on line... but of course any company can sell themselves on paper right. :?
    Help my Kaitlyn reach her goal of selling 100 boxes of Chocolate Mint Girl Guide cookies. $5 each and we dliver. PM me

http://dawnfitzgerald.myepicure.com/
    But message me directly to order or book and I can get you a special LM deal

Expert Forum User

We use AlarmForce. I have no complaints about their service. Its about $30 a month for it. I like it because all you need to do is use the phone to activate it, and there is a box where you can directly speak with their dispatch. We have had it for 3 years now, the only thing i dont like is that it is a four year contract. I dont feel we need it anymore because our dog is enough if an alarm for us It is great though having that extra security if needed.

ETA my DH used to work nights and it was great knowing that i could just pick up the phone to activate it if needed. It also knocked some money off our home insurance by having it.

Administrator Site Admin

We also use Alarmforce and it's $25 plus tax $28.50 per month. I like that it's a live person when you set it off. It didn't cost alot to install (we added a couple of things or it would have been free) It's not the fanciest system though in terms of hardware but it is economical. We will go with Homematix once our 3 years is up becasue our house is pre wired for a system but they are very expensive to install. ($1000)

PM me if you want the name of the guy we dealt with.
    Leslie

We use Alarm Force too Never had any issues with them....it was free to install. Our's is $28.50 a month too

We had a system installed by Homematix when we built our home three years ago. Its the same company that the builder uses on all their model homes. I'd recommend them, we haven't had any problems with them, and they seem to provide good customer service. You can have the system monitored, or chose not to. We have it monitored and it's just a year contract, which renews each year, if you decide to. We pay about $300.00 for the year. They have monthly payment options available too. Hope that helps.

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

we have an alarm put in by pope they are monitored by counterforce. i don't recommend them. it took us 8 months to get a bill sorted out when we moved. pope was to straightened things out, they didn't we kept getting hounded by counterforce. it took dh threatening to cancel with them before the finally got things straight. mind you we do have a great system. well we should for almost $2000 good luck
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

We have ADT. Pay about 40$ a month but with it there is something where ADT armed security people come right away so you don't get false alarms. Then if there is a problem they call police and can say there is a problme instead of there might be a problem. London police responce rate for a alarm going off is about 20 min where this system is 7 min. It was an extra 5$ a month. Plus if you get two false alarms in a year police will cut off responce to your alarm for a year and then you have to pay 200$ to get back on. This has no penalyty.... well 3 free false alarms a year then 17$ each false alarm after that.
    We have VOIP for our phone so we had to get an extra thing called a cell backup so that everything is wireless (nothing coming through the phone line). We paid about $600 up fornt but the system is ours. 3 year contract but if we move we don't have to take it with us.
    The ADT guy had a lot of points against alarmforce.... but then again they are in competition with eachother so why wouldn't he I'm sure the alarm force guy would say the same things about ADT
    Mommy to DS Jan '06, DD July '09, DS Feb '11, DD Dec '12
    Wife to my wonderful DH of 8 years
    http://handsbetterfull.blogspot.com/

We use ADT too...I like the fact I have an automatic push button to police, fire or ambulance. They also have a back up battery system in case lines are cut. But the feature on our system I really like is that we can disconnect one door say, so if we are going in and out of the backyard the rest of the house can still be alarmed...and we have turned the chime feature on so if any of the kids open a window or door when I am elsewhere in the house I can hear it. I also like the fact they come and replace the lithium batteries in the two wireless pieces we have. Our house is Fort KNox...I am kinda paranoid, naw strike the word kinda
    "If you get a headache do what it says on the aspirin bottle: Take two and keep away from children."

Expert Forum User

We have ADT too - have had it in all three houses and will install again if we move again (please no!). We pay around $35 per month for the alarm. Like mentioned in PP I really like the panic buttons for fire, police and ambulence. Saves calling 911 and giving all that info. We have never had a false alarm in all the years we have had it (going without the motion sensors really helps with this). The chime feature is good too. We also have a linked fire alarm that is supposed to sense smoke up to an hour before a regular one - although I am not completely convinced of this since our other ones go off when I burn dinner (so like every other night) and the ADT one never has. Mmmmm...

Ours was also free to install, moved before our contract was up and convinced them to install another one free again. Very helpful in my mind. In all fairness though, I have never tried out another company.

Administrator Site Admin

I hated ADT when we had them and would never go with them again.

I had a false alarm once when we first got it and about 2 hours later I saw an unmarked car driving around slowly in front of house back and forth. It was the security guy. He finally came to the door to ask if we were ok???

2 Hours later??? If we weren't ok we would have been DEAD thank you very much! So much for helpful!

That wasn't the only problem but it's the one that sticks out the most!
    Leslie

I have ADT and was told that the panic buttons do not work unless someone had installed the programme so I have no idea if they work or not? My stupidity I guess, also we had some of our batteries dieing so it would trigger an alarm to go off and we were at the drive in so they called my MIL and asked her to go by at 11:30 at night to see if everything is ok, I am wanting to get out of the contract but have not looked into it yet! I have had this for almost 7 years now. Don't know if this helps any but wanted to share! I will say though it does make you sleep better at night and your insurance will drop once you get an alarm!

oh and with ADT you can transfer your contract, so if you well the house the new owners can assume the contract.
    To PP they are suppose to replace the batteries for you
    "If you get a headache do what it says on the aspirin bottle: Take two and keep away from children."

Super Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Thanks so much! Can anyone comment as to how much it has lowered their insurance... approximately???
    Help my Kaitlyn reach her goal of selling 100 boxes of Chocolate Mint Girl Guide cookies. $5 each and we dliver. PM me

http://dawnfitzgerald.myepicure.com/
    But message me directly to order or book and I can get you a special LM deal

We use digitech..a local small business. Mark the owner has been in the business for years. We're very happy. My husband is away alot, and I couldn't believe how much better I began sleeping once we got the alarm. My husband worked for precision alarms for years, but had gotten out of the alarm business..you'd think though we'd have thought to have one put in. It took getting broken into and losing everything we owned that was worth something..including all of our luguage so they could get our possessions out.

Expert Forum User

I think our insurance went down about 10% but to be honest I am not sure - not why we got the alarm so I didn't really pay attention.

To test your panic buttons just call ADT. They will unhook your monitoring so you can go panic button crazy, they tell you if they are hooked up, then set up your monitoring again.... takes about 5 min. to do.

Leslie, did you have that extra service to cut down on false alarms??? Because that makes me little nervous.