Default St. John French Immersion

Do you know anything about this school?
    Are your children happy there?
    What is the school environment/culture like?

TIA
    Last edited by Angie; 01-21-2009 at 01:28 PM.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I had a friend (who now lives back in New Brunswick) send her son there for SK and it was my understanding that she liked the school and the general enviorment at the school. She never had anything negative to say about it.

My DS1 goes there for grade one, DS2 is being registered for JK for this fall. We switched DS1 from St. Marguerite after his SK year. We are very happy with what he is learning and how well he has handled the transition. I think it was a harder decision for us to make than him.

He seems to be enjoying himself and has fit right in. I was expecting him to slow down his learning a bit to adjust to the french aspect, but saw no sign.

We're very happy with the school. They are good to answer any questions or concerns that we had, and the teachers are good about keeping us involved.

We live in Whitehills and he is bussed.

Any questions or concerns, feel free to PM.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."~Dr. Seuss.

Quote Originally Posted by prilehavost View Post
    My DS1 goes there for grade one, DS2 is being registered for JK for this fall. We switched DS1 from St. Marguerite after his SK year. We are very happy with what he is learning and how well he has handled the transition. I think it was a harder decision for us to make than him.

He seems to be enjoying himself and has fit right in. I was expecting him to slow down his learning a bit to adjust to the french aspect, but saw no sign.

We're very happy with the school. They are good to answer any questions or concerns that we had, and the teachers are good about keeping us involved.

We live in Whitehills and he is bussed.

Any questions or concerns, feel free to PM.
    I guess one of my concerns was the actual location. The neighbourhood isn't the greatest. Have you had any reason for concern with regard to this?

Do you feel that the school is overall very tightly knit and supportive? I just think it's so important that the school we choose for DS is nurturing as well as educational.

Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    I guess one of my concerns was the actual location. The neighbourhood isn't the greatest. Have you had any reason for concern with regard to this?

Do you feel that the school is overall very tightly knit and supportive? I just think it's so important that the school we choose for DS is nurturing as well as educational.
    The school my son attends is not in the greatest of neighbourhoods either and it has been given a 'bad' rep because of this fact which to me seems unfair. I like the school my son attends and the majority of the staff who work in it. I would not let the fact your son's potential school isn't in the 'greatest' of neighbourhoods (whatever the heck that means anyways-can be a very subjective thing IMO) get in the way of sending him there if it were me. I have so far had no issues with the school my son attends. Keep in mind that other schools in London that are in so called 'good' areas have also had problems at times. Just some food for thought. Not trying to sway you in one direction or the other.

I didn't mean to offend with that comment. It was more of an observation from when I worked at South Street hospital. We would get less than desirable people coming into the hospital, who were intoxicated and aggressive, that lived in the area. I wasn't implying that older areas don't provide positive educational experiences, it was more my own first hand experiences in that particular area.

The neighbourhood has some issues...but what one doesn't? St. John is great about knowing where it's students are. DS gets off the bus and goes into the yard. There are bus drivers to make sure he gets to where he's supposed to go and yard staff and teachers always nearby. What really surprised me is how efficient they are with so many busses and kids. DH and I were there one day at dismissal and there were 20-some busses all lined up. Each bus had a senior student at the door and there were teachers every couple of busses or so. Within 10 minutes everyone was where they were supposed to be and the busses pulled away. As with most schools, they're good about not letting people in who aren't supposed to be there. They buzz you in...doors are locked after the bell, etc. Everyone has always been friendly and supportive to DH and myself, as well as DS. I wouldn't let the actual location sway you. It's the education you want to be sure about.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."~Dr. Seuss.

Those are good things to hear. It doesn't matter how good the education is. If my children aren't safe then it doesn't matter. It sounds like the school is pretty on top of things though.

Are you happy with the education that they are receiving? Are the teachers supportive and involved?

I wasn't offended in the least I was just mentioning that the school my son attends is in a neighbourhood a lot of ppl would 'shun' etc. I do not live in the neighbourhood of the school where my son attends (he's bussed) but if I wanted him in the frnech immersion system, I had no choice but to send him to that school. His teacher is just fantastic, as are the prinicipal and likely some of the other teachers as well.
    I would hope and think that a school would be very selective with who they allow in and if they have no clue who they are, they wouldn't just allow you to freely walk in. That happening at the hospital is one thing but at a school, I would think that would be another whole thing all together.
    Last edited by 2boysmom; 01-21-2009 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2boysmom View Post
    I wasn't offended in the least I was just mentioning that the school my son attends is in a neighbourhood a lot of ppl would 'shun' etc. I do not live in the neighbourhood of the school where my son attends but if I wanted him in the frnech immersion system, I had no choice but to send him to that school. His teacher is just fantastic, as our the prinicipal and likely some of the other teachers as well.
    I would hope and think that a school would be very selective with who they allow in and if they have no clue who they are, they wouldn't just allow you to freely walk in. That happening at the hospital is one thing but at a school, I would think that would be another whole thing all together.
    I agree, but the school can't control what happens outside it's walls. Teachers will sometimes take students off school grounds for little walks, etc and can't control who/what is going on. They also can't control what the children see from the playground. So, while I was at the hospital, those individuals were walking near the school during operating hours and who knows what the kids might have seen. If there aren't any concerns with regards to supervision then this puts my mind more at ease.

Those are good things to hear. It doesn't matter how good the education is. If my children aren't safe then it doesn't matter. It sounds like the school is pretty on top of things though.

Are you happy with the education that they are receiving? Are the teachers supportive and involved?
    I didn't mean that you shouldn't be concerned with safety...I just meant that the location itself shouldn't really come into play as the school does a wonderful job of looking out for the students. It's not a great neighbourhood, but St. John is like a little oasis in the middle. I live in what is considered a great neighbourhood in NW London, and I have to check my own backyard and the park across the road on Saturday mornings for drug paraphernalia and broken beer bottles from the party house behind us that literally uses our backyard as their party toilet.

I'm very happy with his education and his teachers. When we were considering St. John, I called and made an appointment with the secretary and she took me around the school and answered every one of my questions and addressed all of our concerns. Give her a call. Mme Coughlin and the number is 675-4420. She'd be happy to help you out.

I agree, but the school can't control what happens outside it's walls. Teachers will sometimes take students off school grounds for little walks, etc and can't control who/what is going on. They also can't control what the children see from the playground. So, while I was at the hospital, those individuals were walking near the school during operating hours and who knows what the kids might have seen. If there aren't any concerns with regards to supervision then this puts my mind more at ease.
    They do go on outings to the local park, etc., but we are always notified and have the option to decline. There are always at least two teachers, some senior students, and sometimes parent volunteers.

Really, how is it any different from your child taking a field trip from a school in a "good neighbourhood" on a bus, going to Victoria Park? Or the police station? Or even the apple orchard. There are bozos everywhere. But St. John is great for safety...I'm happy with DS there. If I felt he wasn't safe, he wouldn't be there.

I also find that schools in the "good neighbourhoods" are sometimes a bit lax in their safety and are lulled into a false sense of security because of their location. DS's old school never had the doors locked, I walked in many times to drop off snacks or talk to the teacher, etc. I always have to buzz to get in to St. John, and they have a camera right at the door.

Thanks for all of the feedback with regards to safety!!

I will call and make an appointment to take a tour!

Thanks again!