Default Homeschooling legalities question

Hi!!!
    I've been homeschooling our 5 year old since September and she's doing awesome! Reading like crazy and enjoying it! My MIL homeschooled my dh as well as his siblings, some of whom are still being taught at home. A friend of mine asked about homeschooling the other day and was wanting to pull her daughter out of school next year and teach her at home. She asked me about the legalities of teaching at home. I remember asking dh about this and his mom had never informed the school board which she resides in that she was teaching the kids at home. She does belong to a homeschool legal defence which would support and vouch for them if they legally needed it. I'm planning on joining the defense but was wondering how necessary it is to let the school board know that I'm teaching at home. In my opinion, they don't need to know what I'm doing....
    I know some people would take advantage of it and have their kids at home and teach nothing...so I see how it can be useful to let the board know what's happening. I'm just wondering what others think and whether I should let the school board know next year as DD would be going into grade 1.
    Mom to 4 kiddies
    DD(9 yrs) & DS#1(6 yrs) & DS#2(4 yrs)
    & DD#2(1 yr)

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

If your child has never been in the school system you don't need to notify the School board. For your friend, she will have to send a letter to the principal notifying them that she is withdrawing her child. That is all - nothing more.

Here is the link to the OFTP website
    http://www.ontariohomeschool.org/gen...l#notification
    Mom of 2 girls, unschooler, feminist, runner and just general lover of life.

Need a doula or prenatal classes? www.babeezeinarms.com

"Me thinks that the moment my legs began to move, my thoughts began to flow."
    - Henry David Thoreau

"
    Children are not our own art products to be turned out well, but their own life work in continual process. -Jan Fortune Wood"

Okay, that makes sense....thanks! You saved me a boat-load of searching!
    Mom to 4 kiddies
    DD(9 yrs) & DS#1(6 yrs) & DS#2(4 yrs)
    & DD#2(1 yr)

Ana
    Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by myhoneybees View Post
    I know some people would take advantage of it and have their kids at home and teach nothing...so I see how it can be useful to let the board know what's happening.
    Honestly? People who would like to "take advantage and not teach their kids anything" will send them to school and get free babysitting into the bargain. There are a whole lot of unschoolers who choose not to use curriculum and while it may appear we are not teaching our kids anything, there is a whole lot more going on that would appear on the surface.

The schools sometimes think its within their rights to ask parents to provide them with information about the curriculum they are using, but it isnt.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
    The schools sometimes think its within their rights to ask parents to provide them with information about the curriculum they are using, but it isnt.
    That's good to know, thanks.