Thread: Diagnosed PCOS?

Expert Forum User

Default Diagnosed PCOS?

Anyone else have PCOS? I was diagnosed a few years before the twins were born. I was not able to get much help from my previous doctor, she doesn't seem to "get it". She thought that if I would just take the pill it would solve all my problems - AKA symptoms. The pill offers me very little relief from my symptoms and I have tried at least 5 different kinds and I have done depo-provera (which I will not do again).

Any resources that are recommended? Anyone know of a great doctor that specializes in PCOS?

TIA

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

What symptoms are you experiencing? I thought perhaps I had this but I had loads of tests and everything came back normal.

Expert Forum User

Taken from a website:
    http://www.cwhn.ca/resources/faq/pcos.html#2

What are the symptoms of PCOS?

The most common symptoms of PCOS are:
    • infrequent periods (oligomenorrhea);
    • no periods at all (amenorrhea);
    • excessive bleeding during your period (polymenorrhea);
    • enlarged ovaries with multiple small painless cysts or follicles that form in the ovary;
    • skin tags, teardrop-sized pieces of skin that can be as large as raisins and are typically found in the armpits or neck area (also called acrochordons);
    • a disorder that causes darkening and thickening of the skin on the neck, groin, underarms or skin folds (also called acanthosis nigricans);
    • thinning hair;
    • excess hair all over the body, including the face (hirsutism);
    • acne;
    • weight gain and obesity;
    • increased blood sugar; and
    • infertility.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I have PCOS!! Dr. Steve Power is great. Yes, the pill masks the symptoms but does not address the causal issue. Do you have insulin resistance? Many women with PCOS do but not all. I used Metformin to help regulate my ovulation so I could conceive my first, and diet to regulate to conceive my second (and just on an ongoing basis). I respond really well to a high protein, high fat diet that excludes sugar and refined grains.

Expert Forum User

I was diagnosed with that as well in 2002 ... although i have since had a full hysterectomy so the symptoms of that nature are gone - did not have the surgery due to the POCS also had suffered from years of endometriosis and finally had cancer cells

I still have issues with hair growth although nothing 'new' since the hyterectomy - I use an epliator thing that pulls them out by the root great to help with detering what does grow back to be thin and weak - been doing this so long that lately it is hardly anything growing back - finally!

Still fighting with the wieght and insulin resistance...agree that that high protien diet and removal of refined sugars and gluten from diet FINALLY got my sugars balanced and stopped the gaining now if I could just get it back off!

No help with the Dr though - my family Dr is in Waterloo and IME not too much help at all