Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Administrator Site Admin Boo Radley's Avatar

Default Rant... long day

I had a terrible day today and so far nothing has gone right.

I was in Ottawa for a couple of days and today I was heading back to Kingston. I usually take the noon train but today I had decided to take the 8:30am train to avoid ruining my day. I woke up at 6:00am showered and shaved and was ready by 7am way before the train departure time. The transit system has been on strike in Ottawa since before Christmas so my only option to the train station was a cab. I called the taxi numbers and they were all either not answering or busy (or had voice mail... and I was using my Kingston cell phone so I spent a fortune on voice mail). I was staying in a huge building so I decided to go downstairs and see if anyone is heading the same way since the train station is 1 exit away. I found some OttawaU students who were sitting waiting for their car pool but they all said the cars were all full because everyone is car pooling due to the strike. So I headed to the parking lot exit (I was getting desperate and it was 8:00am by the time I tried finding a cab, etc., the taxis were still not answering because they are overwhlemed I guess). I only found 1 person leaving to work but he was going in opposite direction. So I gave up and decided that I'll just take the noon train. Before going upstairs I decided to check the main entrance one last time for any cabs and I found one! obviously waiting for someone! I asked him if he can take me along. He said no (cab drivers in Ottawa are grumpy) but if the person he's waiting for doesn't come down he'll give me a ride. He buzzed the person (yes cabs in Ottawa ask for your buzzer if u live in an apt. when you call which is a cool service) and kept getting no reply. After 10 mins he decided to take me to the station! yay!

I was worried the train would be full but I figured it's almost impossible for an 8:30am train on Wednesday to be even half full. I rushed into the station with less than 10 minutes on departure time. Got my ticket and boarded the train! I felt releived! 8:30am the train should depart as scheduled, right? wrong!

It was extremely cold today in Ottawa. It felt like -38 degrees which yes a bit too cold (and did I mention I forgot to take my gloves?). Anyways they couldn't get the train engine started and were having mechanical problems! 8:30...9:00....9:30am they say they can't fix the problem but luckily they have another spare train (wtf weren't we moved to the other train an hour ago?). We are asked to go to the other train and we did. Then gues what! They couldn't get that train started either! We spend another half an hour and ended up leaving Ottawa abit after 10:00am instead of 8:30am. It's a 2 hour trip so I figured I'll arrive at noon. Nope... because the train was running late, at Brockville there was another train on the rail blocking the way so they had to do a lane change. That took about half an hour and I ended up arriving in Kingston at 12:30 instead of 10:30. I was too tired and decided against taking a bus because they take 45mins from the train station to downtown where I live. But there were no cabs because the train was late so they didn't bother waiting. Had to call one and waited about 10 minutes then spent $14 on the cab fair.

I'm exhausted and we're only half way through the day

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

LOL! That kind of day calls for a nap, ykwim? Hope it gets better for you!

O M G, I am SO tired just READING this Boo! What a stinkin' day- one thing after another or what!!? AND on such a cold day.
    Hope the rest of your day goes well and if you go outside....BRING YOUR GLOVES!!

M2M

I agree, just reading that made me tired.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! eversoclever's Avatar

That's rough. Transit strikes really get the point across, eh?

Warm shower + food + TV + sleep = happy Boo.

wow, you need a drink. Seriously, a nap, a hot shower and a stiff drink, maybe not in that order.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! eversoclever's Avatar

Why didn't I think of a stiff drink? Add that to the equation!

I agree with PPs...just reading that makes me exhausted. At least you're home now and you can relax a little and get some sleep

ETA: ranting makes you feel a little better too! Always helps a little
    Last edited by MrsKK; 01-14-2009 at 02:48 PM.

Banned

Oh sucky.

I didn't read who was posting to begin with and had to do a double take over this:

I woke up at 6:00am showered and shaved and was ready

Banned

ohhh Man.... you need to go back to bed Sorry your day has been so awful

Expert Forum User

That royally sucks! I had a trip like that from Oshawa to Ottawa, except we were stuck about a stop away from Kingston for 2 hours. I ended up 2.5 hours late and THANKFULLY got a cab! So much for saving your day - cold and travel suck!
    Mum to Alyssa (born April 30, 2005)

Administrator Site Admin

Poor you! That does sound like quite a day!!

I guess that explains why I haven't been able to get ahold of you eh?

Ladies would it be wrong of me to tell him just how much work I have for him today?

Boo......you should rethink your trip only add a couple of kids to the situation and then you get what we have to deal with on a trip like that Hahaha! I feel for ya though, it's no fun no matter whether by yourself or otherwise! Glad you made it back ok. Have a nap and then msn me so I can fill you in on a ton of stuff! LOL!
    Leslie

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie View Post
    Ladies would it be wrong of me to tell him just how much work I have for him today?

L!
    maybe cut him some slack today....JUST today!

On a maybe brighter note, did you know that if a train is 20 minutes late to the destination, that you get 50% off your next train ride? Just save your receipt and next time you book, you tell them and they discount your ticket!!

Hope the day got better!!

-- Delia --

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Oh man I would have gone back to bed for sure!! Pulled the covers up over my head and called it a day!! Hope the rest of your day was slightly better!!! Oh and definitley have that stiff drink!
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast