Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default Anyone else whose child is bussed to school?

Who else on here has a child who is bussed to and from school? Our son is (he is 5 and in SK). Anyhow, when I checked the bus site this a.m it said busses were delayed for 2 hours, which meant he would have boarded the bus just before 10:30am (usual time is just before 8:30am). Anyhow, the school called us just before 10:30am and wondered where our son is. I didn't know it was still up to me to call and notify them he wouldn't be in on days the bus is cancelled, due to the weather? Furthermore, if the bus was originally running behind schedule by about 2hours, that would have meant he would not have gotten on until 10:30am so why the heck would the school even be calling me at 10:30am? Talk about miscommunication with that school of his! For the most part, I don't have many issues with the school....but the communication is severely lacking IMO! I have had other 'issues' with them when it comes to things to do with communication as well and it is getting annoying.
    For anyone else whose child is bussed, do you still call the school to notify them your child will not be in for the day when the bus is cancelled or is that just a given at the school's end?
    My Dh said even after he told the woman on the phone our son was not in, due to his bus being cancelled, she was about to say something else but stopped, so I have no clue what she was going to say but it makes me wonder if they even have a record in the office that my child is bussed? It would not surprise me if they didn't.
    There....rant over!
    Last edited by 2boysmom; 01-13-2009 at 11:02 AM.

Hmmmm, I am sorry that there is an issue with the school. It's the secretary's job to call all students marked absent without a note or call from the parents regardless of buses being cancelled etc.

So, I would suggest that you call no matter what. It saves time in the end.

Is your school a county school?
    mama to 3

Nope, he goes to a city school in London.

Not many buses in London had delays. Only the buses that came from the outskirts of the city. Are you sure your bus was delayed?
    mama to 3

Expert Forum User

I agree with MomtoS&E that the secretary must call if a child is recorded absent without a note or call from home.

Usually a school has an attendance line and you can call that and leave a message, so it does save time.

Sorry, no other ideas or help. My kids attend a country school and are 100% bused, so if the buses are cancelled then the kids don't go (unless the parents have already dropped them off).

ETA: Our school told parents to use this website for information regarding the bus situations:

http://www.mybigyellowbus.ca/

Hope this helps
    Kim
    Mom to four great kids: Hunter, Trent, Emma and Logan

Expert Forum User

It's a "safe school" policy to call ALL the parents if their children haven't showed at the school without a phone call or note.
    Despite the office having a note from me stating that my 5 year old (SK) does not attend class on Tuesdays and Thursdays (in preschool still), I will still get a call about once a month to confirm....
    I see this as a case of better safe than sorry, KWIM??

I went on the website and it said he bus was cancelled. Originally it siad it was just delayed by 2 hours. Am I missing something here?
    As far as calling the school to notify them on days he won't be in (due to being sick, etc) i have done that yet still received a phone call about 1 1/2 hours later asking where he is. That is what I mean about lack of communication.

I can SO sympathize with you! My DS is bussed to school in the city. His bus driver has told me that unless all CITY busses are cancelled, he will be there. Delays and such are for COUNTY busses or busses that come into the city from elsewhere.

mybigyellowbus.ca used to be a great site for bus cancellations and delays, they used to list each school and each bus line independently. Now they've changed to listing by "zones", which is even more confusing because I don't know what "zone" he is. Apparently zones only apply to the county routes...out of town or coming in from out of town.

I still call the school to let them know that he will not be in...but I'm sure to tell them that it's because of inclement weather or bus cancellations. They are just trying to know where your LO are...maybe the person on the phone doesn't have access to records or information and is just making phone calls. I would rather them be over cautious, than just assume they're absent due to weather and have that not be the case.

I used to rely on A-Channel news in the morning...but they seem to only relay Murphy Bus Line information and aren't as reliable for Elgie or Langs (which my DS rides). When I'm really confused I just call Langs direct. The dispatcher/front desk guy there is really helpful and understanding.

Even my teacher-friends agree that it's too confusing.

There has got to be an easier way, though!!!

It can be pretty confusing. Basically, if you live in the city, you are considered Green zone which rarely has delays or cancellations.

Schools in the city have buses that come from areas considered RED zone. They are the buses that have delays today.

I just looked at the site linked from the TVDSB site and only the red zone is listed.

If you want, you can pm me the school and I will take a look at the site and let you know.

Also, look at AM980, I find this site way easier to understand than the Big Yellow Bus Site.
    mama to 3

Quote Originally Posted by MomtoS&E View Post

Also, look at AM980, I find this site way easier to understand than the Big Yellow Bus Site.
    Thanks MomtoS&E for that site!

www.am980.ca

It's way easier to understand than the new mybigyellowbus.ca!! I have it bookmarked for the future.

Thanks MomtoS&E. I am still confused though because when i go on the Big yellow bus site it says busses to his school have been cancelled. Had I known they were not, I would have sent him in but the info on the website changed from delayed to cancelled.
    We called the school and sure enough all busses went in but with delays. Why the heck the website now reads as cancelled is beyond me though. He is staying home at this point now though! Seems a bit backwards to me this entire thing! I cannot make heads or tails out of it but I am sure I am not the only one!

Quote Originally Posted by prilehavost View Post
    Thanks MomtoS&E for that site!

www.am980.ca

It's way easier to understand than the new mybigyellowbus.ca!! I have it bookmarked for the future.
    No problem!

Also, if you listen to the radio, tune it to AM980. DOn't listen to other stations as they are often really confusing!

Basically, it is rare that tvdsb city buses are delayed or not running. If they are, it will be announced by all stations frequently and it will be posted on the tvdsb site.

Also, I bet it's posted here quite early too!
    mama to 3

I also wanted to add that my son goes to a Catholic school and quite often the LDCSB isn't mentioned in bus delays. The TVDSB seems to garner the most attention...so I really have to do my research to find out if his bus is delayed or cancelled.

And yes, I have found that the radio stations aren't very informative.

I wish I had known we were even in the 'green' zone, as that would have made things a whole lot easier! I just saw his school on the list for bus cancellations and assumed that included his bus. I guess that just meant the bus which goes to his school which would be in the 'red' zone though? Too bad someone hadn't explained that to me from the get go around the time he started school! Oh well, it's over and done with and 1/2 the day is over now, so he will just stay home. it isn't such a big deal anyhow, seeing as he is just 5 and in SK.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by MomtoS&E View Post
    I actually find the big Yellow bus site better than TVDSB website for busing information for our country buses - the last time we had a delay it was reported on the board's website that there was no delay But it might be different for the city schools (I'm not looking for those) I know that our school has be drilling the new "zone" system the last few newsletters asking us to get familiar with it.

I'm not a fan of listening to the radio in the morning....there's way too much going on in this house to listen to it!

Good luck finding whatever site works for you on these caotic mornings
    Kim
    Mom to four great kids: Hunter, Trent, Emma and Logan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast