Expert Forum User

Red face 1st birthday ideas...

my son is a saint paddy day baby and from an irish family so nautrally we are having a irish birthday bash! so far i am planning an open house because there are so many family and friends to invite so that way it won't be so overwhelming and busy. i am thinking of serving irish stew with soda bread fruits and veggies with dip and i want to make a pot of gold cake!
    decorations will be in white and green with home made rainbow streamers and four leaf clovers. i am thinking about making the party hats as well but i will see.... naturally some irish music will be playing as well. does anyone have any other ideas to make his 1st birthday an awsome party! i know i am planning early but the 1st birthday is so exciting for me and i want it to be a great time! i know baby won't remember or care but i did alot of planning for his big brothers and i want to do the same for this one as well!
    its hard to believe his first year is almost up!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

First off, the open house idea is great! I did that last month for DD's first birthday and it was so much more relaxed, fun and more of a party than a kids party, yk? I had it as a Christmas/Birthday open house, similar to your St. Patty's/Birthday open house. If I was having a lot of people like you say you are, you could do a few more appetizers since not everyone would want stew ,especially depending on the time etc...(sorry, not trying to make you more work! lol) things irish inspired, like onion rings (irish haystacks) bangers in blankets (sausage rolls) a cheese ball covered in parsley etc...If you're serving alcohol, Guinness would be a good choice or make a green punch. I don't think you need to plan more than the decorations and food/drinks. When its an open house and casual, the party makes itself, especially if their is music and lots of people. Have fun and take lots of pics!

Banned

Angela, That sounds like so much fun. Be sure to take lots of pics. And enjoy your little guy's first birthday.

Mine is a St.Patty's day baby too

though I am not going to do the whole st patrick thing for his, as I like to keep their birthdays more as their day. and fcous on him turning one. But its definetly neat.
    jennifer mommy to 4 amazing kids!

that does sound neat

Don't forget too to have some record of all who attend -- so perhaps a rainbow/pot of gold for everyone to sign best wishes on, or something of the like. Or even a stack of sticky notes shaped like clovers, and each person writes a message on one for you to put away in his memory box?
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Expert Forum User

Sounds like you already have it organized!! Sounds wonderful! You are more on the ball than I! My ds 1st is coming in February and I haven't started! I just keep lowkey....immediate family and my 2 bff's (their kids are exactly same ages as mine). Just munchies some easy decorations.

Would you do loot bags for any kids showing?
    ~Cheryl~
    cherylb.acndirect.com

Ang - You've got it covered sista...just waiting for my invitation

I don't know how Irish you want to go or green, but you could dress DS in all green, if he has enough hair put green something in it likes bows (just kidding) or a little mascara. wrap all the presents in green. decorate his room in green balloons and streamers. just some thoughts.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by *allie* View Post
    that does sound neat

Don't forget too to have some record of all who attend -- so perhaps a rainbow/pot of gold for everyone to sign best wishes on, or something of the like. Or even a stack of sticky notes shaped like clovers, and each person writes a message on one for you to put away in his memory box?
    thats is a good idea but i HAVE ALREADY DONE THAT FOR HIS CHRISTENING...EVERYONE SIGNED A BOOK OF BBY BLESSING I HAD AND WROTE THIER THOUGHTS AND WISHES DOWN FOR HIM!

Expert Forum User

More appetizers is a good idea...i thought for the family they would stay the longest and i would specify a time but then friends and other babies could drop in when convient for them!
    Definitly guines and i was planning on the invites asking for green attire!

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Sounds like a really fun party planned!! Friends of ours are due on St Paddy's day and she is Irish! I think it's really cool to celebrate it with Irish Traditions!! Have a great Party!
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

Expert Forum User

Sounds like a great tradition to start with DS#2. Hope you have lots of fun planning the party Angela.
    Granola is a Mum to 2 wonderful boys

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by funkymommy View Post
    Ang - You've got it covered sista...just waiting for my invitation
    ITS ON ITS WAY...IN A WHILE WAY TOO EARLY! I CAN'T BELIEVE HOW EXCITED I AM ABOUT THIS! I THINK IT WON'T BE A YEARLY TRADITION...JUST THE 1ST! i think i will be in big trouble when he is a teen and knows the traditons that go with the day! i so am not looking forward to the drunk phone call to come pick him up!!