Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Expert Forum User

Default Where to live in London??

We are most likely moving to London next fall, from Woodstock. Just wondering what the good neighborhoods to look at were? We just have 1 baby for now, but plan on adding another in the next year, so we'll need a moderate sized home. So far we were looking at Wortley Village, and the north area by Boler and Springbank Park... Any other suggestions??

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Those are great spots!! Byron, West London and Kilworth/Komoka is my area and I love it here. Oakridge is great. Great schools, parks, shopping etc...good luck with your move!

Ana
    Expert Forum User

I like the Northridge area: the homes are 20 - 40 yrs old so there are lots of trees and established gardens. Its south of Fanshawe, East of Adeleaide. Great schools too. If you will be visiting people in Woodstock, its on the north and east side of London, so its pretty accessible.

Expert Forum User

Do you need access to buses, cabs and such? If not, you could always find a place just outside the city. I am a country girl, so we moved outside of London a few years back. Still have access to all the conveniences of the city, and we still work in London, but much more peaceful in country. And we love to garden,so much more space to do so.
    ~Cheryl~
    cherylb.acndirect.com

I am an Old South booster!!
    We love the old homes and the real community feel to the area and the schools!
    Good luck!
    Overachieving underachiever

Westmount!!!!!! Old South! Oakridge looks really nice as well.

I love, love, love my old south neighbourhood (within the Wortley village area but just on the other side of Ridout). Love it. Love, love, love it.
    MonsterMom

Workout addict, ultimate procrasinator, English student and knitter.

Expert Forum User

Thanks for all your input! The kids will probably be going to either Nancy Cambell or Matthews Hall, so the schools in the area don't really matter, but I would love to be near parks and the park trail system. And hopefully stay away from the "cookie cutter" homes. Wortley Village looks awesome. Is Old South the same at Wortley Village? Or right next to it?

If your kids go to Matthews Hall the perfect place to live would be Hunt Club, Oakridge or Byron. Awesome area!!

Sherwood Forest and Orchard Park areas are in the north west. What I like about the area is that the kids, as they get older, can walk to more and more facilities. There are public schools- Orchard Park, Sherwood Forest and across Sarnia Rd, University Heights (the last two are both JK-6), High School- Banting, and Oakridge and St. Thomas Aquinas is near Matthews Hall. There is the Canada Games Aquatic centre and a Community centre/Arena. There is a plaza with several stores and it's in between Masonville and the Hyde Park shopping area. It's also close to Costco and several small specialty stores such as Angelos Italian Bakery and Deli and Indian Spice Centre. There is a walk-in clinic staffed by a pediatrician with a doctors office not too far.

It is on high ground so there isn't the issue of water and sump pumps like we had at our last house (east of the university). ALL the houses are different. I was walking with my family from Toronto on the weekend and my SIL commented on the fact the houses were all different. There are old trees and the lots are larger than most in the city. Ours is about 75' by 140'. Northridge is very nice too but is the other side of the city from Matthews Hall. The houses there were just a little small for us, having two growing boys. Oakridge again is nice but I found that the basements were all too low and small for us.

Expert Forum User

I live in Old South-Wortley Village and love it. Wortley Village is the shops and some houses but Old South is the area which most of the houses are located. Can walk anywhere without having to get in your car! People are friendly and there are so many great things to do for kids in the "village". The schools are amazing there too.

We are moving to a bigger house only 5 blocks away so we could stay in Old South and walk to the Village.
    Granola is a Mum to 2 wonderful boys

*sigh* Old South does rock. The houses are challenging though - you'll either find fixer-uppers of every size, or fixed up and hugely over priced. It's also hard to find a house with more than 3 bedrooms under $500K (fixed up or otherwise), so keep that in mind when you think about a 'moderate sized' house.

Everyone will give you different responses based on where they live, but I also love Westmount. It's close to everything (except Masonville ), and the houses go from small-ish to huge-ish. It's not as out there as Byron and seems to have more personality then some of the north end.

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

We are in Oakridge and we love it here!! Dh grew up in the area and his parents still live here. That's the case with many of the families that are here. DD goes to a fantastic school!! If you want a house with property this is definitely the best neighbourhood for that!!
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

The Hunt Club area is nice and is very close to Matthews hall. Old Hunt Club has nice big lots and is close to shopping, Sifton bog, etc. I really like Old South as well.

Oh! I forgot to say that there is access to the Medway River Valley that runs quite a distance behind the university and it has walking trails.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast