sabbycatz

Default anyone else experiencing the "SANDWHICH GENERATION"

Hi there. I am not sure exactly where to put this topic, so if this thread is in the wrong place, please relocate it. I was just wondering if anyone else on this forum is caring for an ill/elderly parent while raising their own children? Since my separation, I have lived with my parents. Both fell ill and my mom passed away 2 years ago. My father is stable and sometimes is able to get out and about on his own. I have twin boys who are very active and one has been diagnosed with A.D.D. Was just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat?

Zoo
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Not sure if there's currently anyone here in that position, but you're definitely not alone.

My hat is off to anyone who can juggle the needs of their kids with the needs of their aging parents!

I consider myself part of this group. When my daughter was born my mom was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. She had a very aggressive surgery and I moved in for a week or so to help my dad when she returned home and then visited as much as possible. During my maternity leave, I was struggling with being a new mom, doing courses for my MEd., helping my dad when possible, helping my mom through chemo etc...it wasn't the maternity leave I dreamed of!

My mom passed away in Aug '06. I am back at work and while I don't live with my dad, I still feel part of this generation. He is in his early 70's.

Big hugs to you!

I am caring for my children and my grandmother. This opportunity was presented to us last year and I gladly accepted the challenge. Some days are great and some days are not. It's a lot of work and sometimes a hassel packing up the boys and taking them to Grandma's dr appointment or physical therapy.

I truly belive it takes a village to raise a child and having Grandma here is a help most of the time.