Expert Forum User

Default questions about legal seperation

I want to get legal seperation, how do I go about his? Does anyone recommend a good (cheap!!) Lawyer? I want to get this done as soon as possible, as I just found out my ex is still doing drugs, and I know I am never going back.

Legal aid is the way I went to do my separation agreement, go down and apply - the fee is $92/hr for a lawyer versus like $280 /hr or whatever a lawyer might charge.

Good luck !

Huron & Highbury... Betcha can't guess what city though!!

FLIC at the courthouse in the court services office - they have lots of brochures etc. with info on seperations & divorces etc. and there's someone there you can talk to and look into legal aid
    Mama to 3 active, beautiful, energetic, and always entertaining children.

DD ~ K ~ April 22, 2005
    DS1 ~ K ~ May 17, 2007
    DS1 ~ K ~ July 23, 2010

Expert Forum User

Default legal aid

I looked into legal aid, this is not an option as we own a house together, even though I have to rent an apartment for me and my children!! They wouldn't even look at me unless I sign over $10 000 to them if he sells the house or buys me out, then I gotta pay the $10 000 back!! I want to go to a lawyer myself and pay for it.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I don't have any experience in this, but DH is a lawyer (not family law, though), and I know that articling students charge less per hour than called up lawyers... Maybe call a law firm with a family law practice and ask if this is something they can have an articling student do for you. I think their fees are $100-150/hour vs. $175+ you'd get with a lawyer.

I too am in the same boat as you... I need something drawn up immediatly... I did go to legal aid, but because I own a home, they think that my disposable income is too high and wanted to place a lein on the house until I paid back the fees.

I am taking the Family Law Office route on Tuesday to get everything taken care of... my parents have gone through all the custody things because they have custody of my neices so they are there to help.

Good luck with everything!!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I asked DH - he said to try a paralegal. They aren't lawyers, so they cost less, but they can do things like that.