Expert Forum User

Post Small Business help

I need some planning help. I am wanting to start a small home business and need some help finding resources such as vendor licence, setting up PST/GST taxes, setting credit card payments, ect.
    I am in the mids of writing up my business plan and have set the goal of operating by late Spring 2009.
    I like any advise or experience in the process of starting your own business and things you have learned along the way.
    I figure the better educated I am the better my business will flow.

Expert Forum User

If this can help, I took a "How to start your own small business" course at Fanshawe a couple of summers ago. I checked out my old notes and here's what I have. We were told to watch Venture, or Marketplace on CBC, so you pick up on learning from others mistakes.
    Check out www.bsa.cbsc.org Its a business start up and is supposed to be a good starting point.
    The other was www.sbcentre.ca . (small business centre)
    I also have www.cbsc.org If your business plan is nesessary for a bank loan, this is supposed to take you through the steps to set you up for success.
    Mapping out your financial plan -We were told to use the interactive business planner from the www.cbsc.org. site because it would help you see the financial stuff and make it simple.
    And this one too. www.myprofessionaladvertising.com

Good luck!

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Sandyk View Post
    If this can help, I took a "How to start your own small business" course at Fanshawe a couple of summers ago. I checked out my old notes and here's what I have. We were told to watch Venture, or Marketplace on CBC, so you pick up on learning from others mistakes.
    Check out www.bsa.cbsc.org Its a business start up and is supposed to be a good starting point.
    The other was www.sbcentre.ca . (small business centre)
    I also have www.cbsc.org If your business plan is nesessary for a bank loan, this is supposed to take you through the steps to set you up for success.
    Mapping out your financial plan -We were told to use the interactive business planner from the www.cbsc.org. site because it would help you see the financial stuff and make it simple.
    And this one too. www.myprofessionaladvertising.com

Good luck!
    Thanks sooooo much. I have found the small business center in London and plan on taking the semminars they have. I did take one a few years ago but I am going to take it again.

Expert Forum User

I was also going to suggest the small business centre. Do you know about the government grant program that is run through them? You have to be currently unemployed though, I'm not sure if you are or not.

Banned

I was going to suggest the small business centre also. I contacted them when I had a business plan written up, I emailed it to them and then I went in for an appointment and they went over it with me, told me what I needed to change and where I could ask for help and financing. They were wonderful!