Thread: Cloth Diapers

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default Cloth Diapers

So we're expecting in May and I'm thinking of trying cloth diapers, never done them before so I'm not sure what I'm looking at. I think we would want a diaper service because well, we're both pretty lazy and I already do huge amounts of laundry with 4 of us here and with a 5th it'll get insane I"m sure. I'm trying to figure out how the costs of a diaper service v. disposables work. Anyone have any info they can share?
    Mommy to three adorable kids!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

if you go to www.cheerfulcheeks.com I believe Danielle has a break down posted on there!

I our CDs!

So much nicer than sposies!

Expert Forum User

The diaper service is a nice way to ease into cloth diapering too. Once your baby is a few weeks old (couple of months) you will find him/her needing few diapers than in the early days so you may want to try washing your own. Honestly, I found I was doing an extra load of laundry once every 4-6 days so it's not nearly as bad as it sounds. It just depends on your stash size and how frequently your baby wets/soils the dipes.

I think a good chunk of us (at least 50% at first glance) that will be getting together on the 30th also cloth diaper(ed) so you can ask any of us who have BTDT and see a number of options in person and in use

MM
    *sigh*

Breastfeeding Success Essentials:
    SUPPORT ~ EDUCATION ~ DETERMINATION

Beat the "Booby Traps" to Breastfeeding Success!

~The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'~

~Do or Do Not. There is no try.~
    Yoda

Expert Forum User

It would also probably depend what kind of diapers you are looking at investing in. I started with handmedown kushies (about half were all in ones) which are about $12 a piece new, or $5 at the outlet! If you are looking at getting some nice pockets or other 'nicer' diapers then you are looking at spending like $20 a diaper to start. It is nice to go to a meeting and see what your options are.
    I also agree that a diaper service is very handy for the first few months (particularily for a bf baby) but once they are on solids a bit it really isn't much work.

I love our cloth....I just spend 10 days putting sposies on him and I can not BELIEVE the garbage and yuck that was created. I picked up one bag to throw out and actually gagged, and I have a strong stomach.
    I think the key to diapers is to not rush out and get a lot of something. I made the mistake of purchasing all in one diapers 3 of them only to find out I need them to be more absorbant. I found if they were more absorbant then they didn't dry well. I like the pocket diapers where you put your own inserts into them and can take them out for drying, they are great since you don't need a cover. I like the fitteds for night and summer since they absorb a lot generally. I also couldn't get by with out wool pants or soakers. I have found when I purchased diapers that buying one of each style and brand helped me understand what I liked and what I didn't like. I then incorporated that into my own design and the rest is history. Good luck there is lots of info in the sticky here in the natural living section think the thread is called cloth diapers

Expert Forum User

I'm not sure what type of diaper the services send, but I love pocket diapers as well. I was also 100% new to cloth before DS was born. I bought a few off used sites and tried them out until I found the brand I prefer. It really isin't that much more work and I'm slowly getting my stash up so I am doing diapers every 3-4days. Even DH hasn't complained yet, and he would let me know pretty quick if he thought it were difficult!!!
    A by the book mama to a completley healthy DD Dec.2002 and doing it all different, BWng, CDing, BLWing, crunchy mama to an equally healthy DS Nov.2008 apparently a cosleeping mama DS Aug. 2011

diaper services use fitteds....