Expert Forum User

Default ovulation post D&C

just wondering if anyone has any idea??? I had a miscarriage requiring a D and C at 8 weeks.... I bled lightly for a week proir... i read that you can still ovulate 14 days after a miscarraige but do i count the week before the surgery??? we are hoping to get pregnant right away again... and I think I might be late, but i am too nervous too take a test

Expert Forum User

I didnt have a D&C - but I ovulated w/e 2 wks of my last miscarriage and now my oldest son is here... :?
    A mother's love is patient and forgiving when all others are forsaking,
    it never fails or falters, even though the heart is breaking- Helen Rice

Expert Forum User

Reading your post I felt like I was re-living my own life. I too had a D&C after miscarrying. I miscarried at 8 weeks but didn't have the D&C until about 10 weeks. We were told not to "try" until 3 months afterwards. I conceived at the first try and our daughter was born 9 months later.

I know that the drs at the hospital and my physician told me not to try until 3 months because the body still thinks that it's pregnant for awhile.

Good luck. I also know that I wasn't "regular" until the second period.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Hi Angela,

First of all I'm sorry for your loss, I know it's very hard.
    As for o'ing yes you can ovulate after a d/c pretty quickly but you don't count the week before your surgery. The d/c changes everything. It is also not uncommon to be late for your first post d/c period. Your body has been through alot and your hormones need to adjust. I wouldn't test right now either as it may take a bit for your hcg to drop, you would not want a false positive, you've been through enough. Just wait a little while but that's just my opinion.
    Also I feel like I should mention just in case (you probably know already), your lining may be thin for your first cycle, you may want to wait a least one before ttc. Totally your choice and I know many babies are conceived right away and are healthy but you really should be fully informed about why your told to wait at least one. That said I know the wait is brutal. ((hugs))
    Good luck to you.
    Cole is 8 years old! January, 2005
    Nate is 5 years old! January, 2008
    Judah is 2 years old! October, 2010
    Avery Grace born & passed Feb 4, 2007.

"Why did I not know that birth is the pinnacle where women discover the courage to become mothers?"
    Anita Diamant (The Red Tent)

Expert Forum User

thanks