Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default Felt so helpless

I don't want to be a downer, but I had to share this...

This morning after walking my kids to school, I was heading home. As I'm walking (with my dog), there's a man outside of a home by his car. A woman steps out onto the porch in her housecoat and slippers. She then starts calling out and coming down the stairs onto the driveway! I think she's NUTS, it's COLD out here! Then she starts jogging across the street yelling a name, or something.

That's when my heart stopped.

I pulled Ava to a stop bc I didn't know what the woman was running towards (a hurt/injured animal or what... didn't want Ava to get too involved). Then I see it. My heart shatters.

A kitty cat, lying on a driveway. The woman is hysterical. The poor kitty is just laying on its side, dead and stiff (probably frozen). I literally burst into tears. But didn't know what to do... the woman was wailing and the guy was frozen on the other side of the street, he looked unsure as to what to do.

I walked past her, but really just felt awful. I didn't know if I should have said something (I'm so sorry?). I lived too far away to run back with a blanket or something, but the thought crossed my mind. I looked back and the guy had joined her and they were knelt down near the cat. I hope they were able to take it and I kept thinking at least they have some closure, right?

Ugh, I just felt so BAD for her. I hugged my kitties really hard when I got home. They probably think I'm nuts.

Sorry... I had to share this though or it will eat at me forever.

Oh no, I'm so sorry. That is really sad. Poor woman. It's sad when any animal is killed, but a loved pet is extra sad.

Thats so sad, its so hard to lose your furry family.
    Mommy to three adorable kids!

Banned

that is so sad. When I was 13 my cat was hit by a car. It was heartbreaking to me. so so sad... poor kitty

Your post has brought tears to my eyes Amy I know what it's like to lose pets and it is absolutely heartbreaking to say the least. Those poor people!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! Mommy2Cuties's Avatar

Did the guy hit the cat? I wonder if it was her husband....

That is so sad... I wish my kitty was still living with us so I could give her a hug snuggle when I get home.
    I stole Turtle's Lollipop! xoxo

Nicole, mama to Miss A (April 2005), Miss K (Sept 2007), Angel Baby (August 2008), and Baby A (June 2009)

Expert Forum User

So sad for the lady, but the man was there to help so I think you did the right thing of protecting your daughter from a sad sight because you could. Kids see (or will see) so many things that we can't protect them from.

Quote Originally Posted by Mommy2Cuties View Post
    Did the guy hit the cat? I wonder if it was her husband....

That is so sad... I wish my kitty was still living with us so I could give her a hug snuggle when I get home.
    I totally don't think so. I think they were a couple, he was heading off to work, standing beside his car in their driveway, she was in the doorway saying goodbye? Then she saw the cat across the street and down a few houses. It was laying on its side in a driveway, but was... how to say this... fine. Like it didn't look like it had been run over/wrecked, yk? Just laying on its side, with its eyes closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Donna View Post
    So sad for the lady, but the man was there to help so I think you did the right thing of protecting your daughter from a sad sight because you could. Kids see (or will see) so many things that we can't protect them from.
    Oh, and my bad... Ava is my dog But I AM thankful that we didn't see this as I was walking the kids to school, or my daughter would have been an absolute mess (she gets it from me, no... really...).

So sad. When one of my cats was run over (years ago) they brought me his collar. No kitty of mine has gone outdoors since.

Expert Forum User

I would have had the same reaction as you. It was difficult for me to read this but I understand your need to post and get it out as I probably would have done the same thing.

I hope the kitty didn't suffer.
    Formerly known as London skye

Check out my Kijiji link! Lots of great stuff priced to sell!

http://london.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-se...AdIdZ425988249

Expert Forum User

Very sad. Makes me tear up. I love kitties.

Expert Forum User

Kitty could have gotten hit and had internal damage. Poor thing.

I think it would be sweet if you left a sympathy card in her mailbox.

Quote Originally Posted by Spots View Post
    Kitty could have gotten hit and had internal damage. Poor thing.

I think it would be sweet if you left a sympathy card in her mailbox.
    I honestly thought of this too. You don't think that would be stalker-ish? I honestly wanted to run over and hug her, but thought that might be too over-the-top eh? But that's what my heart wanted to do.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by amyunicorn View Post
    I honestly thought of this too. You don't think that would be stalker-ish? I honestly wanted to run over and hug her, but thought that might be too over-the-top eh? But that's what my heart wanted to do.
    Stopping by with a card, or even a word of "just thinking of you at this hard time" wouldn't be stalkerish because pet lovers are pet lovers.... special breed. You could just leave it in her mailbox with a note... "Witnessed your heart break this morning. Although there was nothing I could do, being a cat owner/lover too, just wanted to say how sorry I feel for your loss". But only if you wanted to,

Thanks ladies, I totally want to. I want her to know that it was okay to feel that heartbroken about her kitty, and that someone else felt the same way. Oh, and you're so right about 'special breed' as pet lovers. I cry over pet rodents when they die. I was a mess at work when I found out our hamster died.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast