Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Buying & Selling Breast Milk

So, I've been curious about this topic since several people suggested I sell breast milk to make ends meet. I've come up with an interesting array of articles. In BC they have a Milk Bank where you can donate BM for sick kids (I would love to do that!) Of cource it's all pasturized. I'm just not sure how I would feel about selling my BM to someone or buying un-screened milk.
    What are your opinions/views on the subject?

IMO to each there own....I won't sell my breastmilk and I certianly wouldn't give any of my children someone else's breastmilk I would rather give them formula.

I think it is very much a throw back to times when royalty would use wet nurses....A wet nurse was essentially a woman who would breast feed the baby...I think it is great that Vancouver offers the Milk Bank for sick kids. I think we have stigmas about our baby's needing our own milk but this hasn't always been the practice.

Polly

I would donate my breast milk to a regulated hospital-based breast milk bank but I wouldn't sell it. If my sick child could benefit, then I woudl use breast milk from a regulated hospital-based breast milk bank but I wouldn't consider buying it from an individual.

I would also consider some sort of reciprocal b/m agreement with a trusted like-minded friend if our babies needed it.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I've never heard of selling for cash.

In theory I would donate breastmilk, but in reality I was never able to pump more than an ounce or two at a time.

If I were unable to nurse, I would *much, much* rather feed my child donor breastmilk than formula. Wow, it would be amazing if that were widely available.

If I were unable to nurse I would rather give Ali formula. I would just feel uncomfortable giving her someone else's BM. Just seems wierd to me. No judgment on anyone that would, just wouldn't be my personnal choice.
    Mom to Ali (3) & Eva (1)

I would just feel uncomfortable giving her someone else's BM. Just seems wierd to me. No judgment on anyone that would, just wouldn't be my personnal choice.
    A lot of people feel this way (myself included), but, if you think about it, what is the difference between that and other milks? It is okay to drink milk from another species, but not from another human? In theory, it doesn't make sense to be "grossed out" about it, seems to be a much more logical choice.

Discuss.
    Jeanne
    Mom to Cassandra, Kyle, Noah, and Holleigh

Expert Forum User

At least you know that the cows aren't smoking/drinking/doing drugs, etc. (unless, of coarse we get into the whole hormone debate, which I would rather not). I would not use it myself nor would I donate - I hate, hate, hate pumping. However, I am happy to see this is an option for those who are interested. The more choices, the better. As a kind of aside, how about breastfeeding your friend's kid or vice versa??? Was that what you were getting at Polly? Just curious. I think I would be more ok with that then with using a strangers milk. May not make sense but JMO.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by momof4
    I would just feel uncomfortable giving her someone else's BM. Just seems wierd to me. No judgment on anyone that would, just wouldn't be my personnal choice.
    A lot of people feel this way (myself included), but, if you think about it, what is the difference between that and other milks? It is okay to drink milk from another species, but not from another human? In theory, it doesn't make sense to be "grossed out" about it, seems to be a much more logical choice.

Discuss.
    I can't really contribute to a discussion but the thought grosses me out too. This was mentioned before and at that time I was going to post that if there was all kinds of testing like they do with blood then I would give my child donated breast milk. But then recently a blood transfusion was offered to me and the thought of that grossed me out too (I didn't think it would until it actually became a possibility). I guess I just don't want anyone else's bodily fluids in me or my child!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! mamabear's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Polly
    I would donate my breast milk to a regulated hospital-based breast milk bank but I wouldn't sell it. If my sick child could benefit, then I woudl use breast milk from a regulated hospital-based breast milk bank but I wouldn't consider buying it from an individual.

I would also consider some sort of reciprocal b/m agreement with a trusted like-minded friend if our babies needed it.
    My thoughts exactly.

I would donate and would accept donar milk if I needed it.

With bryce I ended up having a good supply so I looked into donation but the shipping procedures/cost proved to be too much for me.
    Heather.

Push button. Receive bacon.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I would absolutely donate or accept donated breastmilk. I would also consider working out an arrangment with a friend.

I am not having any more children though so none of this is really an option for me
    Mom of 2 girls, unschooler, feminist, runner and just general lover of life.

Need a doula or prenatal classes? www.babeezeinarms.com

"Me thinks that the moment my legs began to move, my thoughts began to flow."
    - Henry David Thoreau

"
    Children are not our own art products to be turned out well, but their own life work in continual process. -Jan Fortune Wood"

I grew up watching my aunts who had babies 5 months apart breastfeed each other's kids. seems natural to me. I had supply issues and cant pump - so donation is not an option, but I would if I could - I wanted to when I lived in Vancouver, but I had trouble getting enough for DH. I would gladly accept another mom's milk - directly if we were intimate freinds, or via a bottle if I knew the donor had been screened
    K
    Mom of two sweeties

Quote Originally Posted by momoelliot
    I had supply issues and cant pump - so donation is not an option, but I would if I could - I wanted to when I lived in Vancouver, but I had trouble getting enough for DH.
    sorry I can't resist the silly joke- what the heck was dh doing getting your breastmilk when you had a supply issue mama...
    Heather.

Push button. Receive bacon.

so tired today I can't even type straight
    K
    Mom of two sweeties

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast