Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Milk lovers

Default Milk lovers

Is this the norm?
    We go through SIX bags of milk a week....and it is mostly the kids that drink it.
    DH and I use it in our one cup of coffee for the day and 2 - 3 days per week DH has cereal for breakfast, me never. Of course I use it in baking also.
    The kids - DD 3 1/2 yrs and DS 15 months - drink the majority of the 6 bags themselves in a week. Don't get me wrong, I am very happy that they drink milk but it is getting expensive. We have used homo milk since DD was born and continue to use it as DS is only 15 months.
    That's over $11 per week in just milk.
    DH is going to have to take out a second job - lol

Banned

I hear ya. We go through 6-9 a week too. Kids only, other than the occasional bowl of cereal for me. I would love to switch to organic but totally can't afford to!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Oh, I totally know how you feel! However, I only have one child and she is 12 months. I think she drinks a bag (one of three) everyday if not more. I feel like I am always buying it also and its more expensive than say, 2%. Shoppers often has sales on milk, but NEVER the homo! grrrr Will your kids have water or juice in subsitute? maybe you could start that. I've started watered down juice and she has always been given water with lunch/dinner etc...Sometimes though, she just wants milk

DD drinks water and juice, DS only water. They are really good eaters and drinkers (I am VERY lucky). They drink that much milk WITH water and juice as well - lol
    I know homo NEVER goes on sale - SUCKS!

Back when cows milk was staple in our home, DP and I used to go through 4L a week by ourselves! We were totally addicted. I can't imagine how much we'd go through per week if still bought/drank it!
    Mama to two
    Etsy store: Merry Medley

Expert Forum User

Stop yer whinning all of you! Do you know how much milk in Halifax costs??? $7.11 for a 4L jug or bags of 1-2%. Homo is more. That's not true filtered or anything fancy... That's the cheapest most basic milk we can buy. I've been here since October 2001 and the price has gone up 6 times since then. When we first moved here it was $5.39/4L.

We don't seem to have the corner stores that offer deals or supermarkets that sell at cost (BTW - they claim that price is AT cost!).

So while you all are going through your mounds of milk, just be thankful it costs a fraction of what it does out here

It's insane I tell you!

Still, OP I do sypathize to some extent as we too go through about 6-8L in a week and that's between DH and I as DS is dairy allergic so we have to buy him soy or rice milk in addition to the regular milk we buy for ourselves - Oi! Now that hurts the pocketbook. The way I see it though is it's a small price to pay for insurance on my bones

MM
    *sigh*

Breastfeeding Success Essentials:
    SUPPORT ~ EDUCATION ~ DETERMINATION

Beat the "Booby Traps" to Breastfeeding Success!

~The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'~

~Do or Do Not. There is no try.~
    Yoda

we go through 6 a week too, but lucky we can have 2% which has been on sale. I was so happy when my Doctor told me that my 18 month old could go on 2%.

We go through 6 bags usually ( 2% and skim) but only 3 of that is the kids, 3.5 and 19 months, the other 3 are mostly me and my cereal and love of milk.
    Mommy to three adorable kids!

Expert Forum User

LMAO -
    if only you knew.
    I drink whole milk, I grew up on it, and have never switched. DS drinks whole milk. Between the two of us we can Easily go through 4 L per............................ DAY...................
    so when you say 'milk lovers' you are talking to us.
    DH doesn't drink it. His mother fed him powdered milk - basically white water, so he doesn't even like 2%.
    I love when milk is on sale for a dollar a litre- you will usually see me at the grocery store buying 30 - 40 L for the fridge. (Depends on expiration dates).
    Idont' drink juice, water, or soda - so most of my liquid comes solely from milk.
    DS drinks about 30 oz / day.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Hannahsmum View Post
    I know homo NEVER goes on sale - SUCKS!
    Price Chopper puts it on sale frequently. It's usualyl included in their 1$/L sales - and last week 4 L were on for 4.47 - 2% was 3.99.
    Jsut FYI

Expert Forum User

I limit milk in our house. I am concerned with the amount of hormones pumped into regular milk so I will only buy organic milk and it is $$$$$$$ so the kids get one glass at breakfast and at dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by MilkyMama View Post
    The way I see it though is it's a small price to pay for insurance on my bones
    Gosh, I feel like I'm peeing on the parade, but that's not my purpose There is a mounting heap of controversy about that claim by the dairy industry. I haven't looked in to it in many years, but one of the main arguments (that I recall) is that while dairy is very high in calcium, it is lacking in co-factors for the absorption of most of that (and apparently lower fat = less absorption of calcium). I recall issues around high acidity (due to high calcium levels that can't be absorbed?) as well.

We stopped drinking dairy milk due to sensitivities, but we still sparingly eat fermented products such cheese and yogurt because they're yummy, and we don't seem to have ill effects from them We don't rely on dairy products for nutrition, but that's just us
    Mama to two
    Etsy store: Merry Medley

Do you mean bags as in the bag that holds 3x1L bags, or do you mean six of the 1L bags? Cos if it's the first, HOLY crap that's a lot of milk lol but since you said $11 I'm figuring you mean the second one, where it's two bags of 3L's kwim?
    When dh is here there are times he'll come home from work and down an entire litre, so yes we go through two or more whne he's home. When he's not home, we use about a L a day more or less depending on baking etc.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Siana View Post
    Gosh, I feel like I'm peeing on the parade, but that's not my purpose There is a mounting heap of controversy about that claim by the dairy industry. I haven't looked in to it in many years, but one of the main arguments (that I recall) is that while dairy is very high in calcium, it is lacking in co-factors for the absorption of most of that (and apparently lower fat = less absorption of calcium). I recall issues around high acidity (due to high calcium levels that can't be absorbed?) as well.
    Yeah I know and somehow I knew you'd point it out too. Now can't a girl quietly bury her head in the sand a little longer? I likes my milk

*All said in jest of course*

MM
    *sigh*

Breastfeeding Success Essentials:
    SUPPORT ~ EDUCATION ~ DETERMINATION

Beat the "Booby Traps" to Breastfeeding Success!

~The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'~

~Do or Do Not. There is no try.~
    Yoda

Expert Forum User

We go through 8L in one week. I am going to ask Santa for a cow. LOL!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast