Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default Just a shout out for some shoulders to lean on...

I love breastfeeding my little guy (when it's not super painful from thrush, LOL). I'm just getting frustrated at how demanding it is with two other (needy) children to handle. Edited to add: I have a 5 year old (we'll say she's high needs) and a very destructive and energetic 2.5 year old. He nurses every 2-3 hours during the day (sometimes it's 1.5 hours actually) and I feel like he's ALWAYS nursing when I need to get them out the door so #1 can be at school on time, or he's nursing when I have to go pick her up from school, or he's feeding when I want to be making dinner, or he's feeding in the morning so I miss out on my window to grab a morning shower before DH has to get ready...

I'm not throwing in the towel, I just maybe need some reassurance that it'll get better soon...? He's 3 weeks if that helps...his feeds are sometimes short, sometimes long (if I try to keep him on longer)...

The other thing is that I'm large-breasted and we still have to do the cross-cradle hold and I really can't let go of him or my breast to do anything else with a free hand...so I feel like I'm "pinned" for so much of every day!!!
    The poster formerly known as Geomamma

Geo,

Our kids are fairly close in age. I have a 4 yr old, and 1.5 yr old (almost 2) and Noah is now almost 4mths. (edited to add, my 4 yr old is also a high needs kid )

It isn't perfect for us yet, but it has gotten easier. Im a little spoiled though, because DH is home, and he can help get the other two ready etc etc.

When Noah was younger, I could kinda sorta feed him in the wrap. I'm getting a ringsling, because I've been told it's easier to nurse in that then the wrap.

I'm like you too, with the bigger bust, and even now, I still have to hold on so that he can stay latched on.

I've doubted my ability to continue to nurse him on several different occasions, and the only thing thats kept us going is that im too stubborn to just give up. Because having nursed two other kids, I know it does get easier. When? Well, I don't really know. Lol I just know it does!

If you ever wanna chat about nursing woes, please feel free to PM me.

It's really hard to juggle everyone else, and still feel like a human yourself. Esp in the early weeks.

You're doing great, even if it doesn't feel like it right now.
    Give yourself a pat on the back.
    You deserve it.

Expert Forum User

It will get better. I had my newborn on the boob while my 2 year old squirted bright yellow mustard all over white carpet and my 3 year old coloured the wall. Somehow it all seems to pull together and work out. It does take some time and the older kids know you are busy so it is a good time for them to do what they wish. Another thread talked about blanket time...maybe you can do something like that....maybe not on a blanket but just the idea of it. We also got ready an extra hour early when BF'ing in the first few months.
    moving sucks

I was just going to suggest the ringsling too. i cant compare to the frustrations and difficulties you're encountering because I only had one.. but i was getting used to having a baby! and it saved my sanity.. I could do dishes.. vacuum, anything I needed too with him in the ringsling nursing, it was fantastic. Hands free feeding.. can't beat that.

Hopefully that helps, unfortunately I can't really suggest anything else Hang in there!

Banned

Oh God, I remember those days. I'm pretty sure that's how J ended up "FTT" - because every time he wanted to eat I had to dash somewhere and pick someone up or drop them off, so that's something to watch for.
    For me it got easier once he was eating solids (I know, you probably didn't want to hear that). He seemed much more satisfied and for longer then. That time also coincided with a change in schedule as well so I wasn't quite so rushed.
    Is there another mom that you could team up with for the school run - she does drop off and you do pick up or vice versa? That would cut down on the number of things you have to do in a day. I always showered at night once everyone was asleep - I've gone to bed with wet hair way too many times to count, but morning showers for me are out of the question. If I think of anything else I'll be back!
    You CAN do this - you just have to adjust to the new rhythm. It takes a couple of months for things to settle down.

Ana
    Expert Forum User

Aw, I wish I could come and drive your kids for you, or do a load of laundry for you. Its so tough with a new baby and for some reason we mothers always forget how fast it will pass. I also always felt the bizarre need to plan out how we would arrange things for the next 20 years until the baby grows up and moves out. In the first couple weeks.

Dont worry, it gets easier.

Yep nursing in a carrier can really help a lot. And just know that it will get easier. Nursing in the carrier will be easier for one, and he will go longer between feeds. At first with Z I felt like I sat in my chair all day and watched my house go to shit around me. It started to get easier at around 6 weeks, just a bit, but steadily it got better, and now at 6 mos it's a breeze.

But can I do the carrier (he much prefers the wrap over a sling) at this point? I also have an Ergo with an infant insert...I haven't tried it yet...

I just assumed that since he's so little still that we weren't at the stage of nursing in the carrier yet.

By the way - thank you all for posting and offering support or sharing your stories. I really need that.

And Hecate, Um, I'll PM you my address and have my laundry facilities waiting for your impending arrival.

I had a hard time in the carrier at first, but much much more luck in the Front Cross Carry position (not the Front Wrap Cross Carry). Hang on I'll find instructions, basically the band is at the back so you dont have that in the way.

eta - IMO Ergo is a total no go for nursing. Crazy no way. Back in a sec...

Now, it doesn't fix everything coz there is still like... a baby on you. LOL! But it does really help. And with your stretchy if you get the hang of it you can probably pop him in and out. There is a bw mtg tomorrow morn btw, any chance you could make it?

I was kinda able to nurse Noah in the wrap at first, but I wasn't shown the proper carry for it until the stretchy wrap just wasn't comfy. Now I have a woven wrap, and I still haven't figured it out. lol Thats why I can't wait to get the RS! lol

Thanks muchly! I'll give it a shot at some point in the next few days...I'm still not super confident about it - I'll have to try it around the house....but if we can get that working then at least when I have to walk the girls to the school I don't have to worry about a possible impending feed. As it is, with snowsuits and all, it's a freaking hassle in the mornings!

Ah I wish I were homeschooling...another thread for another day, but man...

I bought my ringsling when my son was 3 weeks and started using it for nursing right away without any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by myrrah View Post
    Now, it doesn't fix everything coz there is still like... a baby on you. LOL! But it does really help. And with your stretchy if you get the hang of it you can probably pop him in and out. There is a bw mtg tomorrow morn btw, any chance you could make it?

Doubtful...nursery school run, and have to take the baby to get his passport photo taken (LOL)...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast