Expert Forum User

Default How to teach a baby to go to bed way earlier?

My DD has a few regular naps a day and is 8 months old. But the evenings are the pits. I am so tired and really need to start and get some quality sleep. ( I found out today that I have pneuomina and need to rest and get some sleep)

Our routine from say 5 pm onward is:
    5pm-veggie/ or fruit and some cereal

7pm-BF

830 Bath (after boys are gone to bed)

930-BF till asleep

1030-wake up (like its morning time)

1130**-BF and possibily fall asleep till 230am
    230-Soother is given and goes back to sleep. The only time of day this works.
    5-530-BF

730-8am wake up for day.

Sometimes after 1130 BF she stays awake until 1-2am. We are downstairs in the dark as she sleeps in our room. That is where her crib is. I cannot let her CIO as DH leaves for work at 530am and if she is noisy at all in the night it wakes him and irritates him.
    Also, if she is awake and happy at midnight I might give her some cereal in the hopes that she will sleep longer, which is never the case.

I would like to find some way of getting her to stay asleep even from say 9 pm.

Does anyone have any tips that WORK???

Expert Forum User

What are her naps like? Can you try keepng her awake a little longer in the afternoon?
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pumpkinery-Creations/220912411314225

Expert Forum User

Usually 1-2hrs long 2X a day plus 2 shorter ones. She is just miserable when she is awake and tired. Like right now, I just want/need her to sleep and now she is over tired and I don't know how to get her to think sleep is a good idea?

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I would try reducing naps. At that age my dd was taking two long naps, like the morning she'd take about two hours, then in the late afternoon about an hour. So either I'd TRY omitting one long nap (if you find the short ones are happening in the car, stroller etc, places you can't really avoid her sleeping) OR, keep it to just the two main ones.
    Just try it, of course if she's miserably unhappy let her sleep lol but it could help.
    It's a fine balance -- if they're over tired, they don't rest well. If they're over rested, they don't either!

Good luck
    I thought for a second you were my sister, lol, sounds just like her situation, same age, routine, etc except her baby never naps that long and she doesn't have boys to put to bed
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

I agree with allie - a book I read (I've read so many I can't remember which one) says that babies at that age need 2 naps/day, usually in the morning and the afternoon. By this age she should have dropped the third and definitely the
    4th nap.

Maybe bath her earlier so it relaxes her and maybe she'll want to sleep earlier?

Expert Forum User

I agree thats alot of napping during the day. It sounds like shes got day and night mixed up. I would start cutting out the last nap of the the day so when bedtime comes around she will hopfully be extra tired. Hope your feeling better soon!
    April - Mommy to Ivy, Sophia & Ryker

Expert Forum User

My DD is also 8 months old and our routine is similar but we start getting the bedtime routine done alot earlier. For us it's 5:30-6pm veggies/cereal, 6 or 6:30pm bath time and jammies, 7pm story and/or snuggle/paytime, between 8-8:30pm down for the night. I stopped BFing her to sleep 'cause i found that she was waking very frequently in the night. Now we usually hold her until she's sleepy/sleeping, and sometimes DH will give her a bottle. She still gets up once in the night to BF, usually around 3 or 4am and then sleeps till we get up at 6am. I guess I would just suggest trying to gradually adjust the bedtime routine so that it starts a little earlier every night for awhile. I had to struggle with a little trial and error for awhile before I started school b/c i knew i could no longer get up with her every 2 hrs at night. Good luck!

Expert Forum User

i read in "one" of the books that if baby was up late...to just put them to bed around 7ish...you don't have to change by 1/2 hour or so just go to a reasonable bedtime at once and it "should" make a difference. also at 5 or 6 months they are starting to reach milestones like sitting and crawling or creeping and i always find that type of thing disrupts my kids for a while!

Expert Forum User

DS#2 is 9m and his schedule is like this for the night:

5pm - BF and some baby food mashed up
    5:30pm - dinner with everyone at the table (finger food)
    6:30pm - bath with older brother
    7pm - bedtime with story with older brother then BF to sleep
    5:30-6am - BF and back to sleep
    7-7:30am wake up

DS#2 has a morning nap and afternoon nap lasting around 1.5 hours each.

DS#2 would stay up until 8pm but since DS#1 wants to go to bed by 7pm, I have changed his bedtime to an hour early and he is fine with that.

It is nice to have 2.5 hours of no kid time in the evening to spend with your spouse or just veg out on the computer.
    Granola is a Mum to 2 wonderful boys