Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default crafts and activities.. what do you do?

So I'm not sure if I missed something else like this.. but I thought it would be helpful if we started a thread where we could post our favorite activites and crafts. There are lots of sources on the internet, but often what you're looking for is hard to find. .. and I'm sure we each have some fantastic ideas to share.. especially those of you that have been in this business for years, share your expertise with us new ones

oops.. my little ones are up now, I'll have to post my ideas later!

Expert Forum User

my kids like to colour, paint, glue. Anything to do with those are always a hit.

They like play dough as well.
    Scentsy Rep. on Facebook Perfectly-Scented Scentsy my website www.perfectly-scented.scentsy.ca

Fundraising to get our daughter a service dog. please feel free to visit her fundraising page https://www.facebook.com/groups/415637608516807/

SPARKLE TATTOO!
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Danas...41850885905215

I meant more specific crafts.. like recently a huge hit was I took clear mac tac, and gave them bowls of sparkles, little foam stickers and feathers.. and they stuck it on the mac tac (yay no glue!- theyre 2) and then we hung their pictures in the window. They LOVED IT and I think it was the activity that kept their attention span the longest.

Quote Originally Posted by foximamma View Post
    I meant more specific crafts.. like recently a huge hit was I took clear mac tac, and gave them bowls of sparkles, little foam stickers and feathers.. and they stuck it on the mac tac (yay no glue!- theyre 2) and then we hung their pictures in the window. They LOVED IT and I think it was the activity that kept their attention span the longest.
    Oh, no glue!! Silly question but where do you buy clear mac tac??

My DS likes playing with a big bin of rice. Colour it with food colouring(red/green) for Christmas. Throw in some hidden things to find and some scoops, a couple construction vehicles. Then have a list of things they need to find.....pictures of them. You can go all out and have a coloured theme, or have look for a certain number. Fun but educational.

For my daughter's birthday party next month I grabbed some premade ginger bread men and trees,(3 huge ones for $1.69!) all the sparkles and silver balls and icing to decorate. I know this will be a hit as my daugher loves anything to do with baking and decorating.

(love the mac tac idea!!)

mac tac.. from the dollar store!!! (i love the dollarstore lol)

thats a great idea with the rice.. we've done that before, but Ive never thought of the pictures of things for them to find..thats a great idea!

Next week we're going to have a safari week.. each day we'll do an animal.. ie- monday learn about tigers.. watch some tigers on youtube or something.. have colouring pages for tigers..

Then Friday we're going to have a safari.. we'll make binoculars out of toilet paper rolls, then use them to find animals all over the house.

(while they're napping, I'm going to tape up the animals that we've learned about all week all over the house)

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by foximamma View Post
    mac tac.. from the dollar store!!! (i love the dollarstore lol)

thats a great idea with the rice.. we've done that before, but Ive never thought of the pictures of things for them to find..thats a great idea!

Next week we're going to have a safari week.. each day we'll do an animal.. ie- monday learn about tigers.. watch some tigers on youtube or something.. have colouring pages for tigers..

Then Friday we're going to have a safari.. we'll make binoculars out of toilet paper rolls, then use them to find animals all over the house.

(while they're napping, I'm going to tape up the animals that we've learned about all week all over the house)
    Ummm, can I come to your daycare? Me, not my dds

I don't have a home daycare but my dds love making masks (paper plates with holes cut out for eyes, lots of sparkles and feathers to decorate). It might work with your safari theme.

I also use the mac tac idea ALOT...its not nearly as messy as using glue and much easier for little ones. Once we are done sticking things to it, i flip it over and tape it to the floor in our playroom...then the like to walk on it and touch it to feel their creation underneath...

My LO's love to finger paint, especially when we use pudding or whipped cream, because then it is tasty!!1

wow.. it surprises me that we didn't get more responses. Boo

Okay, I have another one that we did last year that we'll do this week.

This is what you'll need:
    Cheap q-tips from the dollar store,
    white glue
    wax paper

Give each child a peice of wax paper, a little bowl of glue and a pile of q-tips.

Dip tips in glue and arrange on wax paper. (I do in the shape of a snowflake, but let them use their imagination)

Once they are dry you can carefully peel them off and hang in your windows!! they loved this last year and it works quite well.

OoooO Julia, that's a great idea!!!! thanks!!

Here's my most favourite go-to spot for craft ideas!

The idea for The Crafty Crow came out of a need to keep track of all the wonderful children's crafts you see on the internet. This collective specializes in crafts found on weblogs of creative people who either have, or work with, kids. You will also find tips, tools, resources, and other ideas sprinkled here and there over time. There is an extensive category list on the right-hand side to help narrow your search for crafts and activities.

ENJOY!
    My musings about my children, my crafts and everything and anything else can be found on my blog.

Expert Forum User

I just did this one with my kids this morning. It is from the Women's World mag.

"Cookies" for the tree

4 cups all purpose flour
    1 table salt
    1 1/2 cups water

Cookies
    mod podge
    straw
    ribbon

Preheat over to 300F Mix flour, salt and water. Kneed well. Make small ball: if ball cracks, add a few drops of water to dough.

Roll dough to 1/2" thinkness. Stamp with cutters. Use straw to poke hole 1/4" from top of each ornament. Bake for 1 hour.

Allow ornaments to completely cool and dry for two days; paintwith mod podge. When dry, thread and hang with ribbon.

So they can have fun in a few days with that.

Another thing is trace out your childs hand in different green paper. Cut them out and have the kids glue them to a white paper plate. Then you can get a scrapbook Christmas sticker that says Merry Christmas or write it on the plate.
    Scentsy Rep. on Facebook Perfectly-Scented Scentsy my website www.perfectly-scented.scentsy.ca

Fundraising to get our daughter a service dog. please feel free to visit her fundraising page https://www.facebook.com/groups/415637608516807/

SPARKLE TATTOO!
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Danas...41850885905215

Expert Forum User

My guys love to do open ended activities:

Painting with different tools like skinny brushes, thick brushes, sponges, potato mashers, flyswatters, q-tips, homemade stampers ... etc. and on different surfaces from paper, shiny paper, cardboard, foam, plastic laminate sheets and so on as they all have a different effect. Adding things to the paint like sand, soap, coffee grinds, glitter and things to change the textures up again....keeps painting 'fresh' for them.

Have you ever painted with cornsryup and food colouring? It is so cool and dries hard and shiny ... best done on finger paint or slippery paper though!

Collage work ... we use glue, tape, duct tape, electrical tape, butterfly fasteners, staples and other things as adhesives depending on the need....and then we have big bins of treasures sorted by colour for them to choose from to create with.

Work with 3-D wire creations ... start out with pipe cleaners to bend and manipulate and as they master not poking themselves with that I actually use crafting wire with the 2 and up crew....they can lace and weave things into creations as well.

Drawing with markers, crayons, oil pastels, chalk, charcoal, real pencils and so forth are all fun to ...lots of time and practice to learn the different textures and effects from the different mediums.

My least messy crafts are 'resuable' materials such as working with decorative gemstones .... little glass gems or big beads that they can make mosiac pictures with. River stones work great as well. The square mosaic glass tiles and a sink mat are lots of fun! Poker chips as a mosaic medium are cool too.

I also have wooden boards with little nails in them at 1 cm intervals in a grid and coloured ribbon and elastic bands ... they can make art with these as well manipulating the bands into different patterns to tell stories.

The good ole wipe off boards .... we use these with dry erase markers for drawing but we also paint on them ... then I can wash them off for resuse and it helps cut down on the amount of paper waste in my program as with preschoolers it is more about the process of doing art then the product at the end ... for those children who really want a 'product' I take a picture and email it to them!

Creative fun can come in lots of forms

Expert Forum User

Pinecone bird feeders, smear the cones with PB then roll in birdseed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast