Expert Forum User

Default How do I... get my son to sleep at night - quickly?

Wow - my first post here in this category .. :P

I have a set schedule with my oldest & try to adhere to it for his bedtime - generally - snack/bath/teeth/story & then bed - no rocking to sleep or anything like that. Hes in bed between 8-9pm & has a 2 hr nap in the afternoon. Give him kisses & hugs - his stuffed sheltie/ mini pillow & blanket & we're off. Well at least I am.

He'll scream or cry most of the time for a little while - he fights sleep. OR he'll play & talk to himself until he falls asleep - often times up to 2 hours later. I dont know how to get to fall asleep sooner. Im not ready to give up his afternoon nap. He needs it - he'll crash himself by 2 if he doesnt get one and I need it to recharge my batteries with the little one = often times napping at the same time. He gets up generally between 8-9am so thats not an issue.
    “A mother's love is patient and forgiving when all others are forsaking,
    it never fails or falters, even though the heart is breaking”- Helen Rice

I just started to read is book

The no-cry sleep solution : gentle ways to help your baby sleep through the night by Elizabeth Pantley.

I havent gotten into it but in the introduction she talks about getting a 5 year old to sleep better so it is for all different ages.

Good Luck
    Mommy to Hannah & Lily

Sarah - your oldest and my DD are the same age. If my DD has a nap, she WILL NOT, for love or money go to sleep before 10:30/11pm So, we stopped letting her nap a while ago. It was really tough for a week or two, but she now goes to sleep at 7-7:30 and wakes up 12-13 hour later. I know that you need some down time, so can you nap on the couch with him sitting in the crook behind your knees while he watches treehouse or something? That way, you'll know if he moves. Not the best solution, but depending on your DS2's evening schedule, you might also be able to catch som Z's once DS1 has gone to sleep a bit earlier than he does now.

I think that the fact the your DS1 is not going to sleep right away, tells you that he needs to have his afternoon nap cut down or eliminated. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news ;-(

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by MaryRPN
    Sarah - your oldest and my DD are the same age. If my DD has a nap, she WILL NOT, for love or money go to sleep before 10:30/11pm So, we stopped letting her nap a while ago. It was really tough for a week or two, but she now goes to sleep at 7-7:30 and wakes up 12-13 hour later. I know that you need some down time, so can you nap on the couch with him sitting in the crook behind your knees while he watches treehouse or something? That way, you'll know if he moves. Not the best solution, but depending on your DS2's evening schedule, you might also be able to catch som Z's once DS1 has gone to sleep a bit earlier than he does now.

I think that the fact the your DS1 is not going to sleep right away, tells you that he needs to have his afternoon nap cut down or eliminated. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news ;-(
    I totally agree. This is how the end of naps started here and like with Mary or DSnow falls asleep right away for 12 hours straight. Good luck.

Mitchell, ON, far enough to be quaint but close enough to visit

We stopped giving our two year old naps and it's hard at first cuz if i don't watch him at around 330-430 he sometimes falls asleep on the floor, poor thing. But he goes to bed at 730 the only thing is i need help on how to get him to stay in his bed. My husband has been lying with him till he falls asleep but what a pain in the butt, he shares a room with his 4yr old brother so if he's crying and getting out of the bed he keeps him awake and he goes to school every other day, we don't have another room to put him in so anyone have ideas. And unfortunatley i don't have his crib anymore and he can climb out of the playpen????

Expert Forum User

Sarah - when Julian started taking a long time to fall asleep at night we started to cut his nap shorter by about 15 minutes every few days until he was falling asleep easier at night. We still have to wake him up from his nap almost every day (he would sleep 3 hours or more if we let him!) but he is falling asleep within 1/2 hour of going to bed now.
    Hope this helps and good luck!
    Jodie
    Mom to 3 boys (9, 7 and 4) &
    our little girl (born Dec 2013)
    www.brightmindschildcare.ca
    www.jodie.lovablelabels.ca

Quote Originally Posted by momofallboys
    i need help on how to get him to stay in his bed.
    We have/had the same issue with dd (crib is needed for ds and she's getting too big for a playpen). Anyways a friend suggested a baby gate in the doorway. We've been using that....seems to work. She still gets out and yells for drinks etc, but at least she's not running around the house. I go to her a couple times and tell her its time for bed and leave. After a couple times I don't go to her anymore...she usually gives up and goes to sleep. Once on her little fold out couch, but at least she was sleeping. I take the gate down when we go to bed.

this mat not be helpful, but my whole life I have taken along time to fall asleep (now it takes me about 30 mn). I think some people are just hard wired that way. Obviously, 2 hours is too long and some of the PP will help, but I just wanted to add that it is natural for some people to take a while to fall asleep
    K
    Mom of two sweeties

We do a nap every other day for the most part now and that seems to work for us. I'm so scared DS is going to outgrow his nap completly before DS2 is here. Cross your fingers ladies. The baby gate idea is a great one I know it has worked for many mommies.

Good luck

Becky

I agree with cutting the nap short, Cole started being a real monkey and was only sleeping for an hour and then back up again ready to go. So we cut his nap to around an hour and it really helped. Good luck with trying to change things around christmas I find it is pretty much impossible to have a regular bedtime during the holidays.

Huron & Highbury... Betcha can't guess what city though!!

Kaed's on a 1 nap schedule now... she sets it herself tho - she wakes up at 6:30am with us - awake about 5 hrs usually (nap around 11:30am-ish), bed for 1-3 hrs, and up again until about 7pm. sometimes she'll wake after an hour, at bed time, then be up for an hour or two until 9 - but she's usually back in bed and asleep by 9:30... and that doesn't actually happen THAT often...
    Mama to 3 active, beautiful, energetic, and always entertaining children.

DD ~ K ~ April 22, 2005
    DS1 ~ K ~ May 17, 2007
    DS1 ~ K ~ July 23, 2010

I wish I could help you... Owen is pretty good still... He is up anywhere between 7 and 9 and is usually up anywhere from 3-5 hours and he's the one that takes himself into his room and lays down.

There are some days that he has to be coaxed to go for a nap, but most days he does it on his own, which is sooo nice! I hope that he keeps it up for a while... our bedtime is the same... we play, get ready for bed, brush our teeth and read a book... then cuddle and when I tell him that it is time for bed he grabs his blankie and makes his way down the hall. There are some nights that he doesn't follow that routine all that great but for the most part he does.

I'm sure that you'll work through this.... is there anyway that you can maybe just give him quiet time in his room alone, shut the door and let him play quietly... Owen does that as well... that might give you a few moments to yourself without having to worry that he is going to get into things.

Hope it all works out for you!

Little Mommy

Default Gate

You could try to put a gate on the door to his room so he can't leave the room at least, and once he is asleep take it down.

My little guy is going to be 3 yrs old in 2 weeks. He sleeps from 7pm to 6am, and still has naps most days. He is never a problem to put to bed at night.

They are all so different...I am surprised to see how early some of the LO's here gave up their naps. Guess we are lucky!

Expert Forum User

I personally would not give up the nap. A lot of kids still need them at this age. I would put him down for his nap, shut the door and if he sleeps great, if not, you still get a break. I would definately wake him up in he morning! 8 or 9am - my goodness I can't even imagine. If it's the nap you crave, wake him up by 7am at the latest. If sleeping in is more important to you ... well the nap just may have to go! I wish you luck either way!!!