View Poll Results: What time do you generally start opening gifts Christmas morning?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Before 5am

0 0%
  • 5:01-6:00am

1 2.70%
  • 6:01-7:00am

2 5.41%
  • 7:01-8:00am

15 40.54%
  • 8:01-9:00am

14 37.84%
  • Open them all Christmas eve, except stockings & from Santa stuff

0 0%
  • Do it after lunch

1 2.70%
  • Other

4 10.81%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Expert Forum User

Default More Christmas Chit Chat

What time do you generally start opening gifts Christmas morning?

Expert Forum User

For my family I think last year was around 730, we did stockings and a few gifts from Mom and Dad. Then my MIL & her DH came around 830am. And we did everything else then. They really wanted to be a part of our special time and my DH wasn't so keen on that. I think it will be different this year!!

We get up do stockings, have breaky and coffee and then get busy!!
    Crazy Sue

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by crazy_sue View Post
    We get up do stockings, have breaky and coffee and then get busy!!
    I like the sounds of this. Each year we do some presents, but it is still late starting breakfast and everyone is starving. Plus it is hard to make the kids stop and put the opened toys down to actually enjoy breakfast. We usually snack on stocking chocolate before hand, which isn't a great start to DS's day. Maybe we'll change things up this year.

As to what time, the kids usually wake about 7. I think we'd have DS snuggle in bed with us if he gets up any earlier, so DD can catch some sleep. I'd not wake her, and therefore we'd all wait until she gets up at 8ish. We'll see how it goes. I make them wash their faces and brush their hair before we go down.. I am super mean, because my highlight of the day is the photo op! Hey, I have to have fun too!!!!!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

We usually do the gift from Santa and the kids go through the stockings (they get one gift from Santa) while we get a bit of a snack ready (not a full breakfast) before we get to the main gifts.
    I can't say a real time frame because usually it's me or dh waking the kids LOL and that could be anywhere from 5-7 am depending on the year and what commuting we have to do that day.
    THIS year we won't have to drive anywhere farther than 45 min away so wow, it'll be so different!!!
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

whenever the kids wake up. DH was up at 5am last year, bugging me to get everyone up! lol

I voted 7:01-8 am, because that's when everyone's usually up. Really we open presents whenever all the family has been woken up.

You can have your stocking when you wake up though We also open 1 gift on Christmas Eve.

sorry...DH's computer again.

I voted other. The socks are opened after everyone wakes up. The kids like to do it together. Then everyone has breakfast and gets dressed. Then we sit down around the tree to start the gifts. It is easily after 9:00 am by this point. We take our time opening the gifts. We will watch others opening some of their gifts.

Expert Forum User

We open them whenever the girls are up. I can't remember if they ate breakfast first last year or not - lol. They usually are not super hungry first thing anyway and they don't get too much stuff from Santa so we'll see this year. They are usually up between 6 and 7am.

We will be at my MIL & FIL's place this year so after Santa presents we will eat and get dressed for the day and when the cousins arrive we do another round of gifts.

I LOVE CHRISTMAS!!!!!!

Expert Forum User

I'm always the first one up. And I'm the oldest of my siblings and last year I woke my DD and So up and then did the same at my moms. I'm a lil kid when it comes to Christmas.
    ...and in that moment I swear we were infinite.

i voted 7-8 but it really depends on when the boys wake up! that is when we open presents!
    Tiffany
    Mom to Ben, Jonathan and Zachary

I voted other because we usually do it sometime between 10am and noon.

7:01-8:00

My entire family comes to our house xmas morning to open presents so we have to wait until everyone gets here. My sister, brother and I have never missed a xmas morning together (oh wait - maybe once we did because my brother is a fire fighter and was working).

Breakfast is a buffet and is laid out on the table and we snack and eat as we open.

Love it!
    Mom of 2 girls, unschooler, feminist, runner and just general lover of life.

Need a doula or prenatal classes? www.babeezeinarms.com

"Me thinks that the moment my legs began to move, my thoughts began to flow."
    - Henry David Thoreau

"
    Children are not our own art products to be turned out well, but their own life work in continual process. -Jan Fortune Wood"

The kids get their stockings right away. We let them open one gift on Xmas Eve (their pjs). Last year DD was sick and was gagging while opening up her stocking (the pictures are LOVELY). This year we may be out of town for Xmas Day, so we're trying to figure out how to get Santa to stop here the night before Xmas Eve so we can have our Xmas on the 24th.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast