Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Getting So Worried!

This is not the place to advertise, but I'm wondering if lots of people are going back to work from their mat leaves soon! A lot of us childcare providers are having trouble filling our spots even though we're advertising and I'm one of them. Are people getting subsidized spots? Is there a big secret we don't know about? Can you give us some clue as to where all the little ones are going? I'm hoping for myself and lots of my peers that there will be a real big rush on babies needing daycare soon!!!!!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

That sucks! No insight for you, but I'll be going back to work eventually and getting a HDCP again.

Whitehills...Two blocks from my childhood home!

Even the centers are having a hard time getting spots filled because of subsidy money issues. Some of the bigger centres even are having to lay off workers

Expert Forum User

Wow, i actually heard that it was really hard to find a spot for daycare for infants (DD was 5 months old when i went back to school). I randomly found a spot at a home daycare (on the internet) after calling around to various daycare centers in London and discovering that they were all full. I totally recommend home daycares though, I am very happy with my DCP!

Im going back to work in march and to be honest, I am extremely nervous about leaving my little one with a stranger. Im going to do all I can to find someone who I know personally because im having a really hard time entertaining the though of leaving my baby with someone who might hurt her. I know.. im a freak fest.. but i've heard so many stories that have put the fear of God into me.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Quote Originally Posted by magzaloo View Post
    Im going back to work in march and to be honest, I am extremely nervous about leaving my little one with a stranger. Im going to do all I can to find someone who I know personally because im having a really hard time entertaining the though of leaving my baby with someone who might hurt her. I know.. im a freak fest.. but i've heard so many stories that have put the fear of God into me.
    Totally normal. So uber scary to leave your baby with strangers. Just interview lots and trust yourself. You'll find someone and it will be okay.

Helpful hint: Go to Childreach on Maitland at Bathurst and they can give you a list of how to find a daycare provider with a list of questions to ask at your interview and other good advice. I'm pretty sure that the people who are trusting me with their most prized possessions got a good feeling from me right away when they came for their interview. Everyone probably has a preconceived idea of the kind of place and the kind of caregiver they are looking for but definitely make several appointments with a variety of caregivers and choose the best match for you and your baby.

Expert Forum User

I totally agree with the Childreach suggestion. I went there for Just Beginnings and we got great info. about childcare there.

Expert Forum User

within walking distance of downtown but a good part

if anyone needs a home day care my aunt has opened one

I sell AVON I sell SCENTSY JOIN THE PARTY!

I totally understand... that's actually why I ended up staying home and opening my own home daycare.

What I would suggest is start looking ASAP.. this way you can arrange regular/frequent playdates with people that you are considering long before you will need their care. Any good daycare provider should be more than happy to accomodate something like that.
    When it comes time to leave your little one with them, you'll feel very comfortable with them, and more confident in your decision.

Good luck, it's one of the toughest things I think you'll ever have to do. Definetly at this point in their lives it is! lol

Quote Originally Posted by magzaloo View Post
    We are peas in a pod, you and I.

I think it was the hardest thing yet to have to send LO to daycare. I found a homecare provider which I loved, but ended up switching him to centre care when I had a subsidy spot, not because I didn't like homecare, but because of my lack of money. I'm a single mom, so a paycheck was going to care, (well worth it though) and still had mortgage etc. I think alot of people don't want to take centre care, but have to with the prices of everything else going up. I would defiantly put him back in home care though once I got a bigger paycheque or had some debts paid off.

I also found that I was the only one for the small group of moms that did go back to work. With what it cost, its sometimes not worth it to go back to work when there is another income in the house.

Hopefully you are able to fill your spots! Good luck!

I am in the same spot - when I first opened I had people calling all the time but recently because of the economy I lost two of my full timers, and in spite of great help from my current families, the two families who are leaving I have not been able to fill my current openings. I was wondering the same thing - where are all the babies & parents who want a family environment for care?
    Mommy to Emelia
    Loving & proud provider to my 6 sweethearts at Little Bugs Daycare

www.littlebugsdaycare.com

This seems to be odd to me......because I am a mom on Mat leave and my HDCP seems to have alot of kids. I am worried about there being too many kids when I go back as I will have two going fulltime.

I have been assured that they will have spots and I LOVE her and so does my daughter but I still worry. I am going back in less than six months and have not heard of any kids leaving.

Should I be asking questions, do I have a right, my daughter still goes once a week so I do have contact with her. I just do not know what to do?????

Ashtynsmom, of course you have every right to ask any questions you would like and to sign a contract and make sure you have a spot lined up. I'm holding a spot just on a promise for next July and we're not finalizing things until next spring, so its always a gamble for the caregiver to make that kind of a promise without having a signed contract in hand, etc. However, the same goes for the parent, you want to be sure you have someone that you trust lined up to reduce your stress level for going back to work, right? I'm having a problem filling my one emptly spot right now, next July is a long time away!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast