Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DH needs pants!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default DH needs pants!

My DH is a big guy. But there are guys bigger than him. WHERE are they getting their pants?!?! DH already (tries to) shops at George Richards (Big and Tall so they say), and they don't carry his size.

He has a 58" waist and likes to get 60s to have a leeeetle bit of room. We have to SPECIAL ORDER them in, at the big and tall store.

WTF?

Now they tell me they can't get them 'that big'. WHERE is he supposed to go for pants?

I am so frustrated for the guy. He must feel so awful. It's bad enough his clothes already cost an arm and a leg, now he's deemed 'too big'.

George Richards; the Kinda-Maybe-Sorta-just-a-bit-bigger-than-normal and Tall store.

Banned

that sucks Amy. I'm sorry your DH is having a hard time getting clothes. I hope someone on here knows a store that has his size.

Expert Forum User

Has he tried Big amd Tall and there is also a place in Lambeth, but I can't remember the name of it.

Mr. Big and Tall is okay, he's not thrilled with their pants (he's a picky bastage for being such a difficult body to buy for). They're more... dressy? I guess is the word? and even more expensive than GR. But yes, his latest pants were from there. They don't have a lot of 'give' in them since they're more dressy.

Update: just got off of the phone with GR and after ranting a bit, the manager was shocked that her staff couldn't track down a pair of basic pants for us, and she knew who I was right away (we are regular customers after all). She called me back within ten mins and had found a pair for us. Phew. I'm still not thrilled and I know that DH feels really embarassed to have to special order clothes in to a specialty store. How demeaning.

My DH is also a big guy and I feel your pain. We generally have luck at GR and Mr. big and Tall, but they are owned by the same people it's like A&P and No Frills, one is just cheaper than the other. Not that there clothes are cheap. I also have been finding that the selection of stuff for big guys is dwindling. They have lots of stuff but it's just different colours of the same thing, or it's a nice shirt/pant but not $80-150 nice!
    Enjoy everyday - they go by way too fast!

Amy, some time when your around one, go to Marks Work Warehouse, I forget how big the pants for me go as it has been a few years, but I know they have 50's anyway. Maybe go to their website and call the head office. because when I worked there they had a marks brand of jeans and they were $19.99, I know some guys were thrilled because bigger pants usually cost an arm and a leg. I don't think they have 60's. but again it has been over 3 years, so maybe they do now. They also have t-shirts that go larger then most stores carry...(their basic tees).

Glad you found some pants though.

Unfortunately DH is an accountant, so he needs business casual pants and dress shirts. But I will def look into MWW for casual clothes.

I appreciate you ladies listening. It's been a very disheartening day. I'm considering a forced diet on this guy... I love him to death but if he can't see that ordering in special from the specialty shop is a warning sign that he needs to change, I don't know what is, kwim?

Thinking steamed veggies, lean meats and NO crappy snacks is the way to go now. Thank goodness the kids' halloween candy is gone. Tee hee. Shh.

Quote Originally Posted by amyunicorn View Post
    Unfortunately DH is an accountant, so he needs business casual pants and dress shirts. But I will def look into MWW for casual clothes.

I appreciate you ladies listening. It's been a very disheartening day. I'm considering a forced diet on this guy... I love him to death but if he can't see that ordering in special from the specialty shop is a warning sign that he needs to change, I don't know what is, kwim?

Thinking steamed veggies, lean meats and NO crappy snacks is the way to go now. Thank goodness the kids' halloween candy is gone. Tee hee. Shh.
    They do have dress clothes too, no suits but dress shirts and pants. I would call ahead for sizes.

Maybe if you talk to your doc they can refer you guys to a nutritionist for free?? do they do that?I would think they might for your DH. (and I say that not because I don't think you could figure out how to eat healthy, but rather because he from your posts sounds like it is due to metabolism more so then his eating)
    Last edited by my2babies; 11-14-2008 at 03:00 PM.

My husband is in a slightly different boat, in that he is very slim and tall....6' 7"...most of the "bigger" sized clothes are too portly for him to wear. Mark's Work Wearhouse is one of the few stores in Canada that I can confidently purchase pants or shirts for him off the rack and know that they will be ample enough in the length.
    Each time I get something there, he tells me that he would like to "mix it up a bit" and try some different styles from another store. I remind him that we shop there because it FITS, and be my guest sweetheart if you think you can find something trendier around town that will work. I don't have time to shop all over and then return stuff that in the long run won't work.
    I am unsure about the bigger sizes, but if they have them , then you will love it there. There is a good selection of Docker type khakis in a variety of colours and if not in stock, they will always order your request colour in and have it shipped directly to your house if you prefer. The pants are well made and wrinkle free too.
    Good luck.

I was going to say try Mark's or maybe TSC (call first) and if that didn't work does Sears have a bigger man's section like they do women's? I know I buy my pants in the bigger woman's section (forget their pc name for it, but you know what I mean) and it's mostly just through the catalogue the bigger sizes are available.
    Sorry he felt demeaned, I don't blame him and I hope they give you better treatement from now on. We all come in different shapes and sizes, no one should be shamed for that.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

I was just at Mark's tonight and they carry up to size 60 for their pants. I saw a 52 waist, 30 leg on a sale rack for $29...you could score some deals there. Yeah! Much like the taller sizes, if they don't have it in stock they will order it in.

I was also going to suggest MWW too Amy. Sears may also carry a small # of larger sizzed mens clothing. I know there is a place in Hamilton on Main Street called Gilbert's which carries lots of mens larger sized clothing. I know Hamilton is not ideal for you but thought I'd throw it out there anyhow.
    What about checking on ebay perhaps? How about doing a general search for larger sized men's clothing Canada?
    Good luck to him! I am a plus sized but petitie length gal and I know how frustrating it can be to find clothing that fits well!

i have a $10 off/gc type thing that i got in the mail for Marks Work Warehouse today Amy, you're welcome to it.

Thank you very much ladies. I just mentioned to DH that we should check MWW out. I'm just kind of surprised that, knowing that a large portion of our population is overweight (NOT that this is a GOOD thing), that there would be enough of a market to cater to them. They have to be getting clothes from somewhere. I've been tempted to ask ppl where they shop, seriously! But trying not to sound like a *****, ya know? Hey where do you buy your pants big guy? hahaha... oh it's for my 450lbs husband! no really!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast