Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Why did OW deny you? Possibly becoz the baby is not here yet? They don't really do 'advance planning,' which sucks, but they may be an option to top up your EI after the baby is born. I would assume they will be, if you are on your own and your EI is less than OW provides.

Child care - you may be eligible for child care subsidy. Sounds like you will be if child care is more than what you bring home!

You could call Women's Community House, there are extremely skilled counsellors there who could talk to you about your financial options. I believe the number is 519 642 3000.

Remember you will also get the National Child Tax Credit (although OW claws a portion of it back), and the child care monthly $100, whatever that is called. If your income was low last year, you could be looking at as much as $366/month from those income sources.

Women's Community House can also talk to you about how to keep safe from him once you do leave. If CAS is already involved (I thought I read you say they are on another thread) they may be very pleased that you are leaving him.

Often when a woman is in an abusive relationship, CAS really encourages her to leave so the child won't be the target of or witness to abuse. You could ask them to support you to get out, hook you up with resources, advocate for you wtih OW. You could tell them you want out but you don't see how you can manage it financially and you need help.

Also call LifeSpin. They have a paid Ontario Works advocate who can advise you of your rights, and even go with you to your appointment with OW. Having an advocate who knows how to ask the right questions, and knows what you are entitled to, can really help.

eta - I used to work in social services here in London, and I know the system very well. Please feel free to pm me if you have any questions or there is any way I can help.
    LondonMoms has really gone downhill, ever since they started chit chatting in the home and garden forum. There is a place for chit chat, people!!!

Krista: If you ever need any help, please call. I have been exactly where you are before, so I'm not talking from inexperience. Also, if you ever need someone to watch V for you, send her over here...I know someone here who would be pleased as punch to have her over.

Krista

I used to work with women that also work there

Krista

Thanks maybe i'll bring her over sometime, I might not be able to move afterall. I'm done work this week, right now i work nights so I sleep while shes at school.

This might be a little off topic...SORRY but how does the merrymount overnight thing work??? I have a 2.5yr old and a 5mth old, no help at all and I'm losing my mind sometimes. I just want one night to recharge. Are they experienced to deal with the seperation issues and is there an age thing?

As for being a single mom, its the hardest damn job you could ever do but you grab the bull by the horns and you do whatever you have to do to get through it. Once you realize you can do it, it becomes alot easier. We all have trying days and our own breakdowns but it gets easier. I have never really none what it was like to have any help (EX was a LOSER) so I guess it was alot easier for me because there really wasn't a transition period however going back to work has been VERY hard in our home.

HOLD YOUR HEAD UP HIGH, DON'T LET ANYONE TALK DOWN TO YOU AND ALWAYS TELL YOURSELF YOU WILL GET THROUGH!!!!

Good luck to you. PM me if you ever want to talk, I have great listening ears and like I said I live the life everyday and it is hard and sometimes you just need to *****.

but how does the merrymount overnight thing work??? I have a 2.5yr old and a 5mth old, no help at all and I'm losing my mind sometimes. I just want one night to recharge. Are they experienced to deal with the seperation issues and is there an age thing?
    Yes merrymount is equiped to handle all kids

http://www.merrymount.on.ca/programs_overnight.htm

I get regular respite but I am not sure exactly how to set that up as CAS did it for me and I just get the benifit

Krista

I do know quite a bit of resources being in the social service field but there are alot of things i don't know.

Krista dont forget to file for child support the minute the baby is born

Krista

I never got any child support with the first I never bothered I just didn't even want to be involved and he never was and I although I found it more difficult financially I didn't have to go through all the other crap and i think it was easier on my daughter too in the long run

go down to the court house to family law office and they will help you with all the papers.

you need to do it ASAP after birth becasue legally no one will have custody which means if you give him unsupervsied access with no papers the police will not make him return the child.

and you can also at the same file on your other ex for support just becasue he is not seeing her doesnt mean he doesnt have an obigation to pay to support

mamasgirl5

u can still apply for subsidized day care i just did and they approved me for 5 dollars a day wich helps a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Krista
    I don't know how single women not on welfare are supposed to survive. and what about child care it costs more a day than what i make how do women on their own pay for child care while working?
    Look who runs the government - MEN! Why would they want to make it easy for us.

Responding to your question - I hear you, it's totally crazy.

Have you applied for the Ontario Child Care Supplement For Working Families???

Unlike the name implies, you do NOT have to have your child in daycare to qualify. There is a maximum of around $100 a month per child but every little bit helps. They will also pay you retroactive pay for up to 11 months.

Here is the link:

http://www.rev.gov.on.ca/english/credit/occs/

NewtoByronMom

I don't know what your financial situation was when you applied for CTC, but I have a friend who has a baby and her income is very low, and she receives about $300(maybe a little less or more). I don't know the specifics, but you may be able to receive some more help that way. You are very courageous, and you are doing exactly the right thing by asking for help! If he quits his job to avoid paying support the arrears will keep adding up, and ultimately the FRO should be able to garnish something for you at some point. If you ever need someone to meet you at the market for a coffee and a listen please message me. I was a single Mom for many years. God bless!

Have you signed up for all the free formula clubs and some of the freebie sites (you can trade coupons for baby coupons)...get everyone you know to sign up for free forumla as well to their address...they send you $10 coupons to start
    "If you get a headache do what it says on the aspirin bottle: Take two and keep away from children."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast