Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    mamasgirl5

Default I need advise from Single moms.

I recently became a single mom i have a gorgeous 8 month old girl and my question to single moms is..HOW do u do it? I never in a million years would have thaught that it would be so difficult finantually. I am still on maternity leave which doesnt pay much but at this time i still dont need babysitters or day care so even if i would be working i am sure most of my earning would go towards child care. I started buying my food at the dollar store and i pray every week that i have enough diapers and formula to last till the next pay. I had to move and with each move comes new deposits and they are not even small amounts . Union gas wants 250 dollars and so does Hydro i am trying so hard to keep uo with the bills and feed my daughter but it seems that as soon as i get paid i am left with nothing . I cancelled Tv and i am on dial up for free i only have a basic phone and yet its still hard. And so far everywhere i turned for help the first thing they ask is am i on Ontario Works, because if i am then they can help. Well no offence to ontario works recipients but where can i get help when i do have a job to go back to in a few months and yet i can barely survive. Or should i quit my job and just go on Ontario Works. ? Please some one help me ..i appreciate any advise thank you..

is he paying you any child support yet?? have you been to legal aid to get a lawyer? you need to get a separation agreement done and he needs to pay you support for one

i am unsure about how else to help you as i didn't have the financial struggles you are having right now - it sounds very frustrating!!!! good luck !!!!

i am sure lots of ladies will be able to offer lots of advice to you on this board!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

if you don't mind, how much are you getting per month from EI? you may be eligible for OW if it is a very low amount.

i actually don't think there is much assistance for EI recipients as they assume you have a partners income... which is stupid, but it is what it is.

depending on your salary at work, you may be eligible for child care subsidy. you should apply soon because if you are not on ow, it might take 3 weeks or so? maybe more? can't remember.

Expert Forum User

Default stuggling

I am in the same boat, I left my husband, and now live in an all inclusive apartment, that would benefit you more, then you don't have to worry about hydro and gas bills and deposits. I was on EI, but had to go back to work earlier then expected to get a larger pay check coming in. My husband does pay child support every week, right off his pay check into my account (this helps). I don't cash my pay checks till rent is due, this helps cut down un nessisary (sp?) spending. I only get $200 in Child Tax, and this will go up after the 90 day seperation period. You can go to the food bank, you only need your EI stub and ID for you and your child. I did go on OW for the first few months, and now I make too much in order to qualify. Hope this helps.

I got out of the deposits for gas and hydro. Call them and they will put you on equalized billing and direct withdrawl then they don't need the deposit. Also once DD is old enough I switched her to milk since it's cheaper than formula. FReecycle is great for kids clothes/toys.

I got out of the deposits for gas and hydro. Call them and they will put you on equalized billing and direct withdrawl

you can try that it may work it depends on your credit though, I tried that when I had no credit rating and they wouldn't do it.

thanlfully with hydro and gas deposits they dont do that untill its paid they wont turn it on they will let you make payment arrangements where you pay the bill each month and so much of the deposit.

also there are programs through OW that if you are lowincome but dont quiet qualify for assistance they will still help pay those deposits

mamasgirl5

Thank you for all the replies i did start Custody and support today i just served him at work however i doubt that he will be willing to pay easily i might have to take it a step forward and go to Family responsibilty association, who will make him pay. But if i know him well enough he will quit his job before he pays anything. I do get 110 for Child Tax And 650 every two weeks from Ei . And i just moved to Co-Op housing to make it easier on rent but the bills are still there. I did get the address of the food bank and i will visit them this week at least for formula and diapers that would really help. And as for Child care i am quite worried since my job has two shifts one starts at 5am to 12-30- the other from 12-30 to 9pm..eather way i think i might be out of luck for day care unless i find someone to drop her off or pick her up. OHHH does it get easier???

If your in a tight spot for groceries, diapers formula etc. Call your local churches, they will usually drop buy a $25-30 gift certificate. Call the Glen Cairn resourse centre, they have a baby food bank, Boys and girls club can help with hydro in the winter if you need assistance (THAW program) . Boys and Girls club also has a coats for kids program in the winter. There is a food bank in the mornings downtown at St Pauls Cathedral 472 Richmond St (519-434-8979) Salvation Army has a food bank by appointment only (519-661-0343) If you need help with rent there is a thing called the rent bank (519-434-3344) There's a book called help yourself through hard times with most of this info in it. You can pick up a copy at information London. If you have a doctors appointment and no one to watch the little one, Merrymount Childrens Centre will watch them for free. If you need a night to yourself they can also do overnights for free
    Mom to the Desmanian Devil ( May 05 )

mamasgirl5

wow thank you Cari for all the great advise and thank you all for all your help..

Quote Originally Posted by mamasgirl5
    wow thank you Cari for all the great advise and thank you all for all your help..
    No problem I have the book!
    Mom to the Desmanian Devil ( May 05 )

Expert Forum User

Default support

I would print off the child tax form, that changes your marital statis, the only thing is you can't send it in for 90 days from when you seperated, then they will look at only your income, not your ex's too. They will change your Child Tax and back pay you the 90 days also. I was talking to them and my Child Tax will be going up to $764 starting next month and they will be back paying me for the $564 for two months that I didn't recieve in the first 60 days.

mamasgirl5

well i just did my income tax and i am hoping the child tax will change . he was never added on it in the first place i guess i knew back then something is not right. We only lived together for a few months. But it is suppose to go up with my new incometax and so does the GST..I just hope i did my taxes ok....

Krista

I don't know how single women not on welfare are supposed to survive. and what about child care it costs more a day than what i make how do women on their own pay for child care while working?

Krista

I don't know how single women not on welfare are supposed to survive. and what about child care it costs more a day than what i make how do women on their own pay for child care while working?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast