Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default Jack Newman's breastfeeding clinic in need of support!!`

Don't know if anyone else saw this!

http://www.drjacknewman.com/

First page has info, they're private funding has run out as of the end of September, they haven't had government funding since 2005. They're looking for support and donations to keep it going.

I know a lot of us have used the online resources and refer people there. I know many have also emailed and received personal responses and help.

There aren't enough breastfeeding resources as it is! This clinic NEEDS to stay open!

Expert Forum User

I totally agree. Unfortunately this is not a new struggle as they have been dealing with it for over 3 years when their government funding was cut entirely. How can the gov't not see the value in such a resource??? There is a rally planned (date TBA) to be held at Queen's Park in TO to show support and raise awareness of this cause.

Also, Dr. Newman has a speaking date in Woodstock, NB later this month that is actually open to the public! Usually they are closed to the public and only for medical professionals. I can't go but it would be an amazing thing to attend.

Leading pediatrician offers breast-feeding lecture in Woodstock (NB)

http://bugleobserver.canadaeast.com/...article/473155

Canadian pediatrician Dr Jack Newman., a world-renowned breastfeeding expert, will hold a public lecture on breastfeeding in Woodstock on Friday, Nov. 21. The lecture is part of his breastfeeding workshop tour, organized by the Provincial Baby-Friendly Initiative Advisory Committee and taking place throughout the province Nov. 17 to 21.

Although Dr. Newman's workshops are specifically for physicians and health-care professionals, the Baby-Friendly Initiative Community Committee and local physician Dr Rose Anne Goodine believed that the community could benefit from Dr. Newman's expertise. They have organized Dr. Newman's only public lecture in New Brunswick.

The lecture, "Bottle-feeding Mentality and Breastfeeding Myths" from 7 to 8:30 p.m. This event is open to the public and free of charge. Refreshments and door prizes will be available.

Dr. Newman graduated from the University of Toronto medical School in 1970 and completed training in pediatrics in Quebec City and at the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto. In addition to practicing in Canada, he has worked in Central America, New Zealand and South Africa.

He founded the first hospital-based breastfeeding clinic in Canada in 1984. He is a consultant with UNICEF's Baby-Friendly Hospital Initiative and is a popular speaker at breastfeeding conferences across North America and elsewhere.

Dr. Newman has several publications on breastfeeding and is currently working at the Newman Breastfeeding Clinic and Institute in Toronto. For more information: www.drjacknewman.com
    If I won the lottery I know what I would do

MM
    Last edited by MilkyMama; 11-08-2008 at 11:16 AM.
    *sigh*

Breastfeeding Success Essentials:
    SUPPORT ~ EDUCATION ~ DETERMINATION

Beat the "Booby Traps" to Breastfeeding Success!

~The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'~

~Do or Do Not. There is no try.~
    Yoda

Noooooooooooooooo We go away that morning!

Definitely nothing new and utterly absurd that it isn't funded by the government (especially when doctors are allowed to practice medicine that still tell you to just give the baby formula and hand you a can for formula like newmum2 was saying her doctor did!!!

Expert Forum User

Unfortunately I have found (IME) that more doctors than not are uninformed of the benefits (both long and short term) of breastfeeding. Most doctors seem to practice reactive medicine (treating the problem) rather than preventative medicine (keeping you well)

Wouldn't it be great to go to a doctor, knowing that they are supportive of breastfeeding? I'm not just talking the typical lip service here of "Yes breast is best BUT..." type of thing. I mean a doctor like Dr Newman who REALLY gets it!

I know there have been ongoing letter writing campaigns to those with political powers. Perhaps us LMs should also write to our MPs, MPPs, the Minister of Health, etc? I know there are basic letters available online which you would just change the personal info and then forward it to the proper people... Not too hard or time consuming, right? I'll locate it and post later.

MM
    *sigh*

Yoda

Very sad. I have to say I've been impressed by the doctor we've been seeing most recently at Faculty and Staff health. She has been very good to our little one and at check-ups asks if I'm still nursing, which I say yes, and she always replies that it is great and good for us that we're still nursing. I don't think many doctors even ask beyond a year I know she was quite happy to hear that I was continuing to nurse when we had trouble introducing homogenized milk - too heavy on her tummy - and were giving her 2% cow's milk. She didn't like the lower fat but said that since I was breastfeeding still she'd get the fat she needed there

Please do post links. I'm going to run and finish some work!!! But I'll have a bit more time later in the week.

Expert Forum User

As requested...

[quote]Well Ladies- it's all ready to go!!!!

*sigh*

Yoda

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by MilkyMama View Post
    Unfortunately I have found (IME) that more doctors than not are uninformed of the benefits (both long and short term) of breastfeeding. Most doctors seem to practice reactive medicine (treating the problem) rather than preventative medicine (keeping you well)

Wouldn't it be great to go to a doctor, knowing that they are supportive of breastfeeding? I'm not just talking the typical lip service here of "Yes breast is best BUT..." type of thing. I mean a doctor like Dr Newman who REALLY gets it!
    I have found this too, I had a great Dr when DD was born who said it was best for me to bf as long as possible - especially given her allergies. I was sad when he moved away but can't blame him, he hated that town and we moved away too. I had major supply issues and when more natural things didn't work he prescribed me a very long supply of domperidone so I could keep bf'ing as long as possible. He had a patient who even saw him in the ER for a script for it b/c she was from the US and her dr refused it to her, he couldn't believe it and gave it to her no problem. (A small town dr, no walk in clinics so you see the dr on call in the ER). I really miss that dr.
    Alicia
    Mommy to Summer, Avery, and Bentley

I think this event is in New Brunswick not Woodstock Ontario.

Quote Originally Posted by MilkyMama View Post
    I totally agree. Unfortunately this is not a new struggle as they have been dealing with it for over 3 years when their government funding was cut entirely. How can the gov't not see the value in such a resource??? There is a rally planned (date TBA) to be held at Queen's Park in TO to show support and raise awareness of this cause.

Also, Dr. Newman has a speaking date in Woodstock later this month that is actually open to the public! Usually they are closed to the public and only for medical professionals. I can't go but it would be an amazing thing to attend.

If I won the lottery I know what I would do

MM
    Mom of 2 girls, unschooler, feminist, runner and just general lover of life.

Need a doula or prenatal classes? www.babeezeinarms.com

"Me thinks that the moment my legs began to move, my thoughts began to flow."
    - Henry David Thoreau

"
    Children are not our own art products to be turned out well, but their own life work in continual process. -Jan Fortune Wood"

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by doulamom View Post
    I think this event is in New Brunswick not Woodstock Ontario.
    My apologies! You're absolutely right. I kind skimmed over the article and hadn't actually clicked on the link which would have been a good indicator. Sorry. I just assumed with him being in Ontario and it being a provincial gov't funding issue that it was more "local". Perhaps I can go after all I'll edit any info in my posts that suggest otherwise.

MM
    *sigh*

Yoda

So who do you contact about government funding? Would you contact your MP or MPP? Just thinking I can at least do that much.
    Mommy to three adorable kids!

Quote Originally Posted by aidensmom View Post
    So who do you contact about government funding? Would you contact your MP or MPP? Just thinking I can at least do that much.
    It would be your MPP.
    Mom of 2 girls, unschooler, feminist, runner and just general lover of life.

Need a doula or prenatal classes? www.babeezeinarms.com

"Me thinks that the moment my legs began to move, my thoughts began to flow."
    - Henry David Thoreau

"
    Children are not our own art products to be turned out well, but their own life work in continual process. -Jan Fortune Wood"

Zoo

I can't help but think if he would team up with a woman who was committed and dynamic and...well...kind to women...that his clinic wouldn't struggle so much? I dunno, I agree that he's knowledgeable and helpful and everything, but as you've all heard me say before, he treated me very badly and I'm sure I'm not the only one. I feel that he comes from the perspective of "the baby's rights" rather than the mother's, and that affects how he interacts with women. I hope he never shuts down though, because I know he's helped countless women.

oh really zoo? i remember you talking about seeing him and my impression was just that he was a real bf zealout. but disrespectful to women... that sucks. the nursing pair is a DYAD and if you help mama, you help baby. he should know that, duh, it's not exactly rocket science.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Zoo View Post
    I can't help but think if he would team up with a woman who was committed and dynamic and...well...kind to women...that his clinic wouldn't struggle so much?
    It's too bad you had a rough time with him, because that is a perfect description of YOU! And you were just recently looking for another job!
    I've heard so many good things about him, but it is just too weird for me that he is a man, and no matter how much he knows about BF, he can never, by definition, know everything. KWIM? I think it would do wonders for him to have a woman involved.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast