Thread: Moms who sew...

Default Moms who sew...

I just got a sewing machine and want to make a quilt..the kind used with 4" squares of different fabric. I have found what I want and they are all cut into squares...

Now, do I sew these all together? sew them onto a large cut of fabric? make an edge on each square and sew that way?

Lost...

Donna.

mum2one

Quilts are sewed by joining squares into rows, then piecing the rows together. use 1/4" seams.

You need to iron EACH seam flat after sewing it so you don't get lumps. The pieced together rows then form the quilt top. You then take a piece of fabric a bit larger than the top, lay it flat on a l;arge flat surface (floor if you have to. Lay your batting on top (note batting quality varies enormously!) then comes your quilt top. start in the middle & use straight pins to pin the quilt. Smooth out the fabric as you work your way out.

Once it's pinned you can hand or machine quilt. Hand-quilting takes practice to look good. machine wuilting - your machine will need to be able to handle the thickness of the quilt. Ideally you are able to drop the feed dogs to make pushign the sandwhiched fabric through more easily. You can then free-quilt, outline, stitch in the ditch or try other patterns. If this is your first go, I suggest stitch in the ditch (try to sew along the eams of the quilt top).

You would then trim the edges of the quilt & bind. I like to use bias tape for binding. It's hard to explain the method I do in typing so I'll just say I basically machine sew on the one edge wrong-side & then flip it over & hand sew, hiding my sewing to give it a really nice finished look.

Alternatively, there are places that will do the final putting-together of the quilt.

Hope that helps!!

Thanks!!

And it "looks" so easy....lol

my mil is heavily into quilting and it is not as easy as it looks- but there are lots of classes around, you may want to check out she goes to classes at joyces sewing shoppe.
    Heather.

Push button. Receive bacon.

My mom is an avid quilter. She's just finally getting around to making me a beautiful wall hanging out of scraps from my wedding dress and bridesmaids dresses from almost 5 years ago!

One suggestion I would add (and you picked a very good type of quilt to start off with btw) is to be careful when you sew the strips of squares to each other that you match up the seams. It will not turn out nice if you forget that one little detail. Use 1/4" seams and go about it like Mum2one suggested.

Happy Quilting!

Mump&Grump_Mom

I like to do patchwork baby bibs and baby blankets..I just ordered some squares to do one for DD2...like to sew, not so into the washing, pressing, cutting part of it though!

Sarah