Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: canker sores

M2M
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Angry canker sores

I have between 12-15 canker sores all over the bottom of my tongue, besides being extremely annoying they are SUPER painful.

How did I get these? Why did I get these? How do I get rid of them?

Im hoping to get a good picture of the bottom of my tongue for you guys! lol

Expert Forum User

Have you drank/eaten alot of acidic drinks/food?

I have used OTC products to deal with the pain, but honestly the cheapest and most effective way to deal with them is warm salt water. If I feel a tingle of a cancer sore coming on I rinse with warm salt water a few times a day and it will stop the cancer sore from appearing most times.

Drinking/eating a bland diet for a few days will also give your mouth arest.

They are so painful. I hope they clear up quickly!

I don't know but if you find me can you send me home???

Salt water rinses. It is best with sea salt, but regular old table salt will do. Use warm water with it....

Sounds weird, but I brush my teeth and make sure to get toothpaste in the canker sore. It stings like a b*tch, but the sores clear up faster.

I have NEVER had that many come up at once. OMG I am in tears with one or two, never 12-15. That seems very strange to me. I get mine due to hormones/stress.

Expert Forum User

I've only ever got one a time, and I put salt directly on it

M2M

I do drink pop, but no more than I usually ever have. I do get a lot at a time but maybe 3 at most. its been like this on my tongue about 3 days now. When one pops 2 more take its place. I will try the salt thing right now. I just want them gone. Maybe it has something to do with my cold?

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! eversoclever's Avatar

I usually rub mine with a TUMS tablet and they go away much faster. Don't chew it up, just rub the sore against it for awhile and see if that helps.

I had over 40 in my mouth a few years back. I could barely talk and it was so random. I never knew the cause, but I do drink pop, grapefruit juice etc....but, it came out of nowhere. I know how you feel! Gargle some warm salt water and get loads of rest. I also took vitamin C/E and avoided acidic foods/juice.

Expert Forum User

Are u sure it's not something else? I'm sure that when I had toncilitis in high school that i ended up getting a bunch of sores along my tongue that were very painful as well. I .think I was told to gargle with salt water as well,
    Mum to Alyssa (born April 30, 2005)

If you have low iron you can start getting more canker sores.

Also, if there are that many and you're not sure that is all they are, I'd suspect hand foot and mouth disease, it is going around like crazy! Hurts a lot too

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Quote Originally Posted by lhastie View Post
    If you have low iron you can start getting more canker sores.

Also, if there are that many and you're not sure that is all they are, I'd suspect hand foot and mouth disease, it is going around like crazy! Hurts a lot too
    I was almost wondering about that too, I've never had more than a couple at a time. Salt water is all I have ever used to get rid of them.
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

my family MD recommended rincing my mouth with Peroxide (yes the stuff in the brown bottle). I didn't have any in the house so I used Listerine serveral times and it did the trick!!

Expert Forum User

I googled it and this is what it came up with:

Causes of Canker Sores
    Doctors don't know exactly what causes canker sores. They may be hereditary, but doctors have not figured out exactly how people inherit the tendency to get them. Researchers think they may be an overreaction to the Streptococcus bacteria, because the bacteria are often found in the canker sore. People with canker sores often have small injuries from dental injections and toothbrushes in the lining of the mouth. Allergies, such as hay fever, are also associated with an increased risk for canker sores.

Canker sores often occur near the time of a menstrual period. They may also be brought on by stress - for example, many students get them during exams. Other possible causes include lack of cyanocobalamin (vitamin B12), folic acid, or iron. Certain foods may be triggers for canker sores or act as nutrients for the Streptococcus bacteria.

Treating and Preventing Canker Sores
    Canker sores usually heal by themselves in 14 days without any treatment. Various treatments are only useful to relieve the pain of the sores. People with canker sores can rinse their mouth with salt water. Avoiding hot and spicy foods also helps to minimize pain.

You can help prevent canker sores by making sure you're not deficient in folic acid or vitamin B12. If injury or irritation to the mouth causes canker sores, it is important to remove any sources of irritation such as ill-fitting dentures.

There are many pain relievers for canker sores. Viscous lidocaine is an anesthetic that can be applied to the sore or used to rinse the mouth to numb the pain. Although it relieves pain, it may interfere with a person's sense of taste. Carboxymethylcellulose is a protective coating that can also be put on the sore to relieve pain. Benzydamine mouthwash can provide temporary relief from the pain of canker sores, but it does not speed up healing. Silver nitrate can also be applied to the sore to relieve pain.

If you tend to have a lot of canker sores, or they keep coming back, it is a good idea to see a dentist or doctor. The dentist or doctor can prescribe a tetracycline mouthwash that can be used as soon as a new sore starts developing. This mouthwash should not be given to children less than nine years old, as it discolours developing teeth.

Severe canker sores may be rubbed with a corticosteroid ointment available by prescription only. They may also be treated with a medication called dexamethasone in a mouth rinse, or prednisone, taken as tablets.
    Formerly known as London skye

Check out my Kijiji link! Lots of great stuff priced to sell!

http://london.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-se...AdIdZ425988249

Quote Originally Posted by 3Angels View Post
    my family MD recommended rincing my mouth with Peroxide (yes the stuff in the brown bottle). I didn't have any in the house so I used Listerine serveral times and it did the trick!!
    This is so so dangerous, if you accidentally ingest any of it... ppl would tell me to use this and 'just make sure I didn't swallow any'... I wouldn't risk it.

M2M

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel'smommy View Post
    I googled it and this is what it came up with:

Causes of Canker Sores
    Doctors don't know exactly what causes canker sores. They may be hereditary, but doctors have not figured out exactly how people inherit the tendency to get them. Researchers think they may be an overreaction to the Streptococcus bacteria, because the bacteria are often found in the canker sore. People with canker sores often have small injuries from dental injections and toothbrushes in the lining of the mouth. Allergies, such as hay fever, are also associated with an increased risk for canker sores.

Canker sores often occur near the time of a menstrual period. They may also be brought on by stress - for example, many students get them during exams. Other possible causes include lack of cyanocobalamin (vitamin B12), folic acid, or iron. Certain foods may be triggers for canker sores or act as nutrients for the Streptococcus bacteria.

Treating and Preventing Canker Sores
    Canker sores usually heal by themselves in 14 days without any treatment. Various treatments are only useful to relieve the pain of the sores. People with canker sores can rinse their mouth with salt water. Avoiding hot and spicy foods also helps to minimize pain.

You can help prevent canker sores by making sure you're not deficient in folic acid or vitamin B12. If injury or irritation to the mouth causes canker sores, it is important to remove any sources of irritation such as ill-fitting dentures.

There are many pain relievers for canker sores. Viscous lidocaine is an anesthetic that can be applied to the sore or used to rinse the mouth to numb the pain. Although it relieves pain, it may interfere with a person's sense of taste. Carboxymethylcellulose is a protective coating that can also be put on the sore to relieve pain. Benzydamine mouthwash can provide temporary relief from the pain of canker sores, but it does not speed up healing. Silver nitrate can also be applied to the sore to relieve pain.

If you tend to have a lot of canker sores, or they keep coming back, it is a good idea to see a dentist or doctor. The dentist or doctor can prescribe a tetracycline mouthwash that can be used as soon as a new sore starts developing. This mouthwash should not be given to children less than nine years old, as it discolours developing teeth.

Severe canker sores may be rubbed with a corticosteroid ointment available by prescription only. They may also be treated with a medication called dexamethasone in a mouth rinse, or prednisone, taken as tablets.
    well than I am screwed....lol

I get strep alll the time. I have hay fever, Im anemic (low iron), I have a period, and Im always stressed. Guess looking at this its not so surprising I would have so many (that are still there)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast