Thread: Coffee Lovers

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default Coffee Lovers

Wow - have you ever tried fresh roasted coffee? It so SO good!!!
    We usually buy our coffee from here www.merchantsofgreencoffee.com in Toronto and roast it ourselves.

Well we ran out and for the last 2 weeks I have been buying the PC organic fair trade coffee -which I thought tasted pretty good.

My dh brought home some fresh stuff yesterday and roasted it up for me this morning. Holy crap! There is such a difference it is unbelievable. This is why i can drink my coffee black - it actually tastes good.

I know you doubt me so i am going to host a coffee tasting party. Yup...I will bring the fresh roasted stuff and you bring the other stuff you usually drink.
    Mom of 2 girls, unschooler, feminist, runner and just general lover of life.

Need a doula or prenatal classes? www.babeezeinarms.com

"Me thinks that the moment my legs began to move, my thoughts began to flow."
    - Henry David Thoreau

"
    Children are not our own art products to be turned out well, but their own life work in continual process. -Jan Fortune Wood"

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! eversoclever's Avatar

I've heard from a friend that this is totally the way to go. Now I have to try it!

Oh! You have peaked my interest! Definitely I have to try this stuff now. Thanks for posting

oooh i wanna come to the tasting party! honestly though i cant even grind my own right now, nevermind roast it, ever since my babe has been born i'm all about the super easiest route. my 5 year old broke my french press and i bought a percolator... waaaay easier although not as yummy. i'm drinking a cuppa right now.

Banned

I bet my DH would love to taste an awesome cup of freshly roasted coffee. I don't drink coffee but I'd just love to sit in on a fresh pot of cooked coffee that would bring mem's of my childhood!! I still have a stove top coffee percolator.

I love the idea of roasting my own beans, just wish I could save with intention so that I could afford the roaster. The tasting party is a great idea!

Oooh, sounds delicious.

I am the primary coffee drinker in this house, my husband will have a cup maybe once or twice a week, so right now I have one of the single-cup brewing machines (well, it makes a travel mug's worth). Could you use one of those machines for it? Or is there a different way to prepare the coffee?
    The poster formerly known as Geomamma

You could use one of those machines but it tastes best in a french press. It is easy to make just one mug in a press.

- Henry David Thoreau

"
    Children are not our own art products to be turned out well, but their own life work in continual process. -Jan Fortune Wood"

Quote Originally Posted by forestenchanted View Post
    I love the idea of roasting my own beans, just wish I could save with intention so that I could afford the roaster. The tasting party is a great idea!
    I know they are a bit expensive. Dh used to work for the company and that is how we got ours. You can roast the beans in the oven though.

- Henry David Thoreau

"

So you can just buy the raw green coffee beans and do it in the oven? Hmmm, never would have thought.

I love a good cup of coffee too, although with LO I'm lucky if I can get a cup of yucky instant some mornings.

I would love to go to a tasting party. Fire Roasted Coffee Company offers roasting lessons although I haven't gone to one. They gave me instructions how to roast coffee beans with my air popcorn popper. Has anyone tried that?

Expert Forum User

I only started drinking coffee a couple of years ago, after I bought my husband a french press for Christmas. We use it when we go camping, it does taste good but we have been using the coffee maker lately on weekends.

I think the water makes a difference too. Coffee always tastes so good at my mom's cottage, and she uses cheap stuff!

What is concidered fresh? Freshly ground? Or freshly baked? Sorry, I'm pretty new to coffee. There is a place in teh Western Farmer's Market, has anyone bought coffee there? Would that be concidered fresh?

Expert Forum User

Count me in, as long as you aren't trying to sell me a big expensive machine! LOL

Fresh is considered fresh roasted. The stuff at the western fair market is fairly fresh.

Not going to sell anyone any machines LOL.

I haven't tried the popcorn maker thing but it makes sense that it would likely work. The roaster is a similar concept.

- Henry David Thoreau

"

you can also go to the place in the market, choose your raw bean and they roast it on the spot. I wonder if they will grind it for you after they roast it? I can't remember its name but I have always wanted to try it that way (wow, it smells amazing!)