Thread: wont eat!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default wont eat!

My 2.5 year old is not small at all..she is actually big for her age (mostly because shes very tall) but latly eating has become a battle.

She use to eat very good, now the last few days she wont eat anything but junk! So i cut out everything thats not good for her (cookies, juice, chips any kind of deserts, etc...) and she still wont eat.

Right now the only meal she'll eat is breakfast. She complains shes hungry all day but wont eat what i make. She only wants candy or cookies. Sometimes she'll want a banana or a apple, so i let her have that..but she wont eat a real meal. i had made stuff she use to love, I have tried new things, she wotn eat anything.

If she doenst eat..she doenst get to eat till the next meal (or a healthy snack later) and shes fine with that. LAst night she helepd me make a cheesecake, she was excited to eat it alter...but when i told her she would have to eat her dinner first..she refused and didnt want the cheeseckae anymore.

We have tried time outs,, pretty much everything! and she just wont eat. Anyone have any tips? is this just a phase? I am at my witts end.
    jennifer mommy to 4 amazing kids!

is this just a phase?
    I think so. Madelyn certainly has meals that she doesn't eat anything and on those occasions we've just saved her plate for her snack later and that has worked. She's all about the snacks. If she could snack all day and not eat "meals" she'd be fine with that. Sometimes I'll just call it a snack instead of supper so she doesn't start to cry that she doesn't want supper. Sounds like you're doing all the right things. Don't cave into giving her junk because she has to have something. She won't starve- when she's hungry enough she'll eat the healthy choices you are offering her.

You've probably heard- "they" say that when you look at the nutrition of a toddler over the course of a week, they are getting what they need even though from day to day it doesn't seem like it.
    Madelyn, Cooper and Beatrice's Mom

Expert Forum User

I agree, it's just a phase. Emma will go through a few days of not eating lunch or supper. We don't snack during the day either. She doesn't complain about being hungry. She knows that if she doesn't at least attempt to eat it, and not just push it away, she won't get dessert.

But, breakfast is her big meal and she's wanting it as soon as her eyes are open.

Keep doing what you're doing.
    Kim
    Mom to four great kids: Hunter, Trent, Emma and Logan

Super Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

We have been experiences phases like this with Kaitlyn lately too. I have found that is kinda a power struggle issue. What she chooses to eat is the one thing that she can absolutely control and there is nothing I can do about it. As a result we have started giving her options ... having her help make dinner... etc. We take the approach that we are the parents and have to do what is best for her ... while at the same time trying to incorporate as much control for her as we can. This includes increasing other decisions she gets to make duing these times ... like what to wear, where to go to play, helping with the grocery list etc. You get the idea. Sometimes it works ... sometimes it does not. However I agree with pp ... do not give in here... be strong and know she will get whats she needs. If it becomes extreme and she is losing weight obviously you will need to see a doctor, but the pecentage of children who go through this that are having struggles with an eating disorder are very very slim.

I feel your pain! DS has pulled this stunt on us too, but it does pass. Like you, I just made sure that what he did eat was healthy (or mostly -I did allow him an occassional, very small, treat which was not associated with behaviour so that I could remind him that he had had something

What worked for us was a 'snack basket' since I believed that alot of the not eating was a control thing for him. I put only healthy snacks (cheese/crackers, raisins, small juice box, cut up fruit, etc) in a basket that he could reach in the kitchen cupboard. He was allowed to eat whatever he wanted, whenever he wanted from the basket. He loved it since he was totally in control and it saved me from worrying and constantly prodding him to eat. A win-win for us.

Good Luck and don't despair. They *will* eat when they are hungry.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Our DS does this too. Only he's been doing it since just before his second birthday. Some days are good, some days are bad. momof2, thats a great idea!! I think we're going to give that a try!

Expert Forum User

My DD goes through phases of not eating for days at a time. She always eats when she get hungry enough. I wouldn't use time outs for this - you do not want to turn eating into a power struggle IMO. Offer the food and let your LO decide to eat or not. Then end the meal. I would not offer snacks either... lessenes the chance of being hungry for the next meal.

I have been told that if they get a glass of milk and a glass of juice in them each day that they are getting enough nurtients - so try not to worry too much!

I would be concerned if drinking stops too though - chance of dehydration.

Good luck!

Expert Forum User

Hope's going through phases right now where she doesn't want to eat
    Andrea - Mommy to two beautiful girls.

oh - thank God - I'm not alone. My 3yr ds also is in this "phase". Tonight we even tried the major bribe - chocolate (even let his younger brother eat it in front of him) and the park. He flat out would not eat and missed the park all together. I left him with my dh and went for a walk with my younger thinking he'd come around and join us outside but nope - no such luck. I give up trying to "make" him eat. I know they won't starve themself - but my goodness - it's hard when they don't eat much lunch, no supper and no pm snack - and when he wakes (now earlier at 5am! - likely because he's really starving by then) he wants "snack" not breakfast too. This will be hillarious in a few years, I'm sure.

baby_luv

Default I agree

I also agree it's a phase mostly likley. Jordyn did that not to long ago and really a kid won't starve her self ... basically all I did was let her ride it out I gave her her food at the time's when we ate and she choose either to eat or not to but no late time snacks( unless she boycotted eating all day ) and eventually she realized what was going on and now she has a awsome appetite Hope for the best and i wish you luck it's very frusterating lols.

Shay baby and Jordy