Expert Forum User

Default Robert Munsch suffered a stroke

Childrens' author Robert Munsch suffers stroke

"GUELPH - Celebrated Guelph children's books author Robert Munsch has suffered a stroke.

Munsch said it took place in his sleep this summer. He said it was quickly diagnosed and he was hospitalized for four days as part of his treatment.

He said the stroke limited his ability to form sentences but he has since made much progress. He said he intends to make all the scheduled public promotional appearances in connection with his latest book.

Munsch is the author of such kid lit classics as: Paper Bag Princess; Murmel, Murmel, Murmel and Love You Forever."
    Last edited by Donna; 11-01-2008 at 10:48 AM. Reason: NOTE: updated further along

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Oh! That's awful!

Banned

Omg!

We love Robert Munsch books and saw him at the children's museum a couple of years ago. I hope he writes lot's more before he moves on..

Expert Forum User

I love Robert Munch . . . . um I mean my kids love him.

But seriously, he was my favourite author as a kid, I hope he lasts for many years! I'm waiting until the boys are bit a older and I want to bring them to one of his readings. I went when I was 9 and he was so fun to listen to.

OMG! We just saw him last night in Chatham - when I first saw your heading I thought it was since then but i guess it was last summer??
    He was pretty good last night - I wouldn't have known he'd had a stroke.
    ds - nov. '03 & dd - mar. '06

Banned

I love my books "I'll love you forever" and "Thomas' Snowsuit" by Robert Munsch. I think I did see him at the library back in Guelph when I still lived there when my teen was young and we'd go to the library on Wednesday's for story time. He's an awesome man! I hope he recovers well!

Oh no I had no idea, glad he's doing well with his recovery. I know someone who suffered three strokes and recovered almost completely each time.

I just bought his class clown book, the other day, Dh always loved that book as a kid, cause he was the class clown, I thought he will like to find that in DD's stocking on christmas. I am glad he is recovering.

omg, thats awful. He's such an amazing author, I grew up reading his books and now my dd loves them too

Expert Forum User

UPDATE:

"Robert Munsch has put his writing on hold until he fully recovers from a stroke he suffered in the summer.

The 63-year-old children's author confessed in a telephone interview from his home in Guelph yesterday that he's needed to take a break from the poetry he writes.

His mental faculties aren't quite there, he said.

"I don't know. . . . I try, and nothing comes to mind."

Over the phone, neither his voice nor his mood indicated he was anything but his usual self.

"I'm waiting to get better," he said, noting he isn't concerned this could mean an end to his writing career.

"It'll come back," he said. "If it doesn't come back in a year, I will worry."

One morning in early August, Munsch awoke to find he couldn't speak.

He was able to utter single words but had difficulty stringing an entire sentence together, he remembers.

He was taken to Guelph General Hospital and doctors determined through a CT scan that Munsch had suffered a stroke. He was hospitalized for four days.

It was a scary experience, Munsch said.

"It came out of the blue and the doctors said there is only a three per cent chance that it will happen again, but they can't say it won't happen again."

He was given baby Aspirin to thin his blood and medication to lower his cholesterol before he was sent home.

The stroke didn't affect his mobility, Munsch said, only his ability to speak and reason.

"My autopilot was off," Munsch said, adding he tried to drive a couple of weeks after the stroke.

"I found myself driving in circles."

A month ago this phone interview couldn't have happened, Munsch said.

"You don't notice at all. That's great progress for me. A month ago, I couldn't do that."

His health condition was made public by a posting on his website.

"I have had a stroke," the posting reads. "It affects my ability to construct sentences. It is a part of my brain called Broca's Area. It is going to take a long time to get well."

Munsch said he didn't want to leave letter-writers wondering why they didn't receive responses from him right away.

He's put a halt on most personal appearances for another six to nine months, he said. That includes visiting schools and hospitals.

But he'll continue appearances as part of a tour for his recently released book, Just One Goal, because the venues were booked well in advance.

He feels capable of handling the appearances, in which he reads from the new book and tells old favourites, but said he occasionally has a fleeting memory loss on stage.

If he forgets a portion of one of his more popular stories, someone in the audience will invariably jump in and help him out, he said.

"It occurs once every minute," he said. "Most of it is transient, but the audience doesn't notice."

He worked on the new book for three or four years and finished it last year, his assistant Sharon Bruder said.

A prolific writer, Munsch has more than 50 titles to his name. Bruder said he has at least another couple of hundred books in progress.

Maral Maclagan, a spokesperson with Scholastic Books Canada, his latest publisher, said since 1997 they have published at least two Munsch titles each year.

"That schedule hasn't changed and we expect it to be the same," she said.

His next book, Down the Drain, is to be published next March.

Munsch's doctors tell him he should fully recover, so he can only wait."