Expert Forum User

Default Leap Frog for a 3 year old?

I was going to suggest a leap frog learning pad (is that what they are called?) for my son for his birthday. He loves listening to stories on c.d. in the car.
    Are some brands/versions better then others? I looked in the Wish Book and the models they show are for 4+, are they appropriate for a 3 year old?

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Not sure if this is what you mean or not -- the thing with the book, and the cartridges, and the attached pen? I think it's called my first leappad or something? Hang on I'll find a pic....

http://fr.leapfrog.ca/do/findproduct...y=ages_leappad

This I would say for sure would be appropriate. My son got this for his third Birthday and he still likes it, even at age five. The games aren't too expensive, and you get a lot for it because there's the story, then the activities, plus then flip the book over and do the other sides of the pages kwim. I liked it. Doesn't eat a lot of battery power either, we've changed them maybe once or twice. Just double a's too which are easy to come by.
    The games often go on sale too, which is handy, and you can get just non character ones that are educational (neat ones like the Learning Fair or Things That Go or whatever its' called) or character ones like Thomas, Dora, Bob, etc.

Often you can find the system and two books/cartridges for about $25 , try Bargain Shop if they have one in London, used to see it there a lot in Windsor.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Expert Forum User

That is exactly what I was talking about. Thank you very much for the review!

Expert Forum User

My kids have a story reader at their grandparents where you put in the cartridge in and it actually reads the book that also slips into the system. It isn't by leap frog, I can find out what brand and where my MIL got it. I think it would be perfect for the car, or quite time.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I agree storyreaders might be nice for car trips but I do know with my son, he'd prefer to be read a story by us, where as the Leap Pad made him feel like he had a game system lol even though it's educational and no controllers etc. I think it made him feel grownup, kwim? I had my laptop, he had his leap pad lol Also, I liked that it made him interact with it, not just listen to a story. NOT putting your idea down, just mentioning that at three it might be better to have something that keeps them interested by prompting them to find this or that, and that challenges them kwim?
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc