Expert Forum User

Default Do your kids play online video games?

I just read the news story abt the 15 y/o runaway, whose parents say disappeared after a fight over his Xbox, and fear their son may have become mixed up with people he met while playing video games online.

My 9 y/o plays Roblox and TribalWars online, both of which have 'chat boxes'.
    I know this is nothing new, and I have talked to him many times about internet safety, but it just refreshes my concern about what could happen.

I don't want to make him stop playing the games his friends are all playing, but at the same time I am worried. Anyone else??
    Please always show kindness in your posts as the person receiving it may need it more than you will ever know.

SAHM to two boys, 13 and 7.

Expert Forum User

My kids have memberships to Click Penguin and Rune scape...
    I do worry about their safety being online, but they also are very aware of the rules and the fact that we keep an eye on what they are doing online.
    There is a sign over our home computer that I printed from an online source (I can't remember which site now)... It says something like:
    The people you meet online are real
    they are not always who they say they are
    Do not give any personal information about yourself online including
    Your Name
    Your Address
    Your Phone Number
    Your age
    Your neighbourhood
    Your school
    or
    Your friends.....

As long as they follow the rules they pretty much get free reign of the computer - If I was to catch them, even once, giving out any of the above information, computer use would be restricted for a minimum of two months (my consequences - not the real world consequences which could be much more dire). They know and seem to respect my rules for now.....

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

My son does play online games some but just the tv channel ones, like Thomas or so on, and only if I'm right here. The only game he can play if I'm not in the room is a cd-rom one, and lol he got his foot caught in the computer chair the last time so now he's too scared to play that alone even

I will be keeping close close tabs on them when they're old enoug hto want to be online alone. I'llbe the evil mom who does read their chat histories, does have their email password, etc, or else they jsut will not use the computer.
    Privacy I do respect -- they can speak to their friends face to face or on the phone by themselves, but if it's online, sorry, no privacy. If it's that sensitive a topic, they can call you or you can have them over.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by *allie* View Post
    I'll be the evil mom who does read their chat histories,
    Oooooh! I didn't know you could do that! I will look into that one!
    Please always show kindness in your posts as the person receiving it may need it more than you will ever know.

SAHM to two boys, 13 and 7.