Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default medic alert tattoo

okay here are a couple of pictures i was thinking of... for my medic alert tattoo! getting it done in 2 weeks!

the first one i was just thinking the snake and staff with the red cross but the conditions underneith it!

the first picture is the one with the 2 snakes and the staff with wings! I like it but would like the red corss with it. the same with the other picture but with the red cross!

what do you ladies think????

i want something different but something that will be noticed if something happened!!!

i will be having All:PENN and IDDM writen under it!

suggestions are welcomed!
    Tiffany
    Mom to Ben, Jonathan and Zachary

Would it be noticed in an emergency? Where are you getting it? I like the one with the wings.

on my left wrist, about 2 by 3 inches!! so it would be very noticable! my lower arms are almost always showing!
    Tiffany

Would it have their contact number, like the bracelets/chains do? Just incase it's a pedestrian or someone who finds you, that'd be helpful besides just some acronymns or whatever you've listed -- that may make sense to the ambulance people but who knows where you'd be when this is needed, and who is there to try to help you. The emergency # would be for sure something Id have on, and also stick as close as possible to the actual Medic Alert symbols that people will recognize in an emergency and not just think you like tattooes!

I don't know but if you find me can you send me home???

yes but in an emergency, if some one would to call someone, they would call 911 and they would know that they meant

I like the one with the wings

Quote Originally Posted by *allie* View Post
    Would it have their contact number, like the bracelets/chains do? Just incase it's a pedestrian or someone who finds you, that'd be helpful besides just some acronymns or whatever you've listed -- that may make sense to the ambulance people but who knows where you'd be when this is needed, and who is there to try to help you. The emergency # would be for sure something Id have on, and also stick as close as possible to the actual Medic Alert symbols that people will recognize in an emergency and not just think you like tattooes!
    the actual medic alert symbol is the snake and the staff, there are more then just one! I was thinking of the one just the snake and the staff!!!!(Rod of Asclepius) but i really like the on with the wings!!! i will probably go with that!
    It wouldn't have the id # on it because I didn't renew it!! The acronym's I'm not sure if i will use just an option. The writing would be really long, as I'm allergic to Penicillin and I'm type 1 diabetic on insulin!
    Tiffany

oh and where im getting it will be the only tattoo around in that area!
    Tiffany

Expert Forum User

I would honestly talk to some EMT's and ER doctors. I know when we were looking at getting something for Syd (allergic to penicillian) I was looking at the necklaces, as bracelets fall off easy, etc. The people that I talked to said if it they didn't have a shiny bracelet on they didn't look. I agree they may notice it but would they in an emergency situation? I would honestly, for your safety, go with the bracelet and not a tattoo.
    Lori, Mom to Sydney, Paige and Easton

i cant wear bracelets at my work and i cant keep paying for them!!! I paid over $100 just for my neck less, almost 2 years ago! I don't want to have to keep paying for them every couple of years because the writing wears off when you wear them all the time! if you know what i mean!!!

And plus i have a card in my wallet saying that I'm a diabetic on insulin as well!

I have heard different stories from different people! I have been thinking about this for awhile and have been looking into it! Some ppl will look for tattoos others dont! I guess it all depends on the person helping! You know!
    Last edited by 3littlepiggies; 10-19-2008 at 12:50 PM.
    Tiffany

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Quote Originally Posted by SydandPaige'sMom View Post
    I would honestly talk to some EMT's and ER doctors. I know when we were looking at getting something for Syd (allergic to penicillian) I was looking at the necklaces, as bracelets fall off easy, etc. The people that I talked to said if it they didn't have a shiny bracelet on they didn't look. I agree they may notice it but would they in an emergency situation? I would honestly, for your safety, go with the bracelet and not a tattoo.
    my dd has had her medic alert for 2 yrs and it has never fallen off.
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

I dont' know that it would be noticed right away. I know the EMT's and such look for the bracelet/necklace, but they wouldn't be inclined to look for a tattoo and would know that was what it was for.

My son has a bracelet and his never comes off.
    Jen
    Jenuwyn - previously known as KnCmama

if they are looking for a bracelet they will see the big medic alert sign!!!
    Well i decieded which one im going to get the one with the wings! thanks ladies!
    Tiffany

I would go with the wings too! Are you putting it in just black (and white)?

no im thinking the snakes red but im not sure yet!
    Tiffany

My brother in law is diabetic and has a tattoo on the inside of his arm. His just reads "Insulin Dependent Diabetic" in large bold letters. I'd be inclined to not the the abbreviations (IDDM etc) because someone who wasn't trained in first aid might not understand what that meant if they happened to come across you needing assistance. My brother in law actually had an insulin reaction while driving last summer on a highway and was found unconscious pulled over on the side of the road. His doors were locked, but the police officer could read the tattoo through the window, smashed it open and started rubbing cola on his lips that was in the officer's lunch. It definitely saved his life.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast