Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Administrator Site Admin

Default Drying your clothes??

Do you use your dryer for most of your clothes or do you do something crazy like hang them to dry?

I was talking to Laurie one night and just about spit my drink when she told me that she rarely dries her stuff or even Madison's!!! Seriously?? She hangs JEANS to dry!! What's up with that??

I dry everything except for those few annoying things that I think I would ruin if I dried them in the dryer.

I can't even imagine trying to find space to dry clothes for 7 people!!

I can't be the only one who just throw's everything into the dryer?
    Leslie

The only things I don't put in the dryer are my husband's dri-fit shirts and some jeans. I don't have any room to hang everything up inside and I don't like the feeling of crunchy clothes (or the smell!). I love my dryer and my vanilla-scented dryer sheets. I'm picky like that.
    Last edited by Trish; 10-18-2008 at 11:26 PM.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I hang a lot of my own stuff because of my height - a lot of it will shrink and I get annoyed. But I always fluff them in the dryer for 10 mins to get any wrinkles and crunchiness out. I have a few items of the kids' that I hang, and a lot of my husbands sweaters are laid flat (as are mine, esp anything with cashmere that has to be hand washed). We have 3 ropes strung across the ceiling in our basement for hanging clothes, and we have a clothes tree outside, plus I have a drying rack for sweaters.

I use a dryer sheet for my fluffing as well so my clothes get that nice smell.
    The poster formerly known as Geomamma

Expert Forum User

I hang everything during the summer - everything. Jeans and towels are the best things to hang dry because they take so much time (and energy) to dry in the dryer. If you don't like the feel or smell, you can fluff them for 5-10 minutes after wards and use a liquid fabric softner in the wash itself. My best friend uses gain and hang dries also, and I am amazed at how nice her clothes smell. When you think that it costs at least .25 to run a modern dryer for an hour, .50 or more if your dryer is older,..... you really start seeing some savings when you hang dry.

Expert Forum User

I hang all of my stuff outside in the summer and when it is too cold to dry outside I have lines in the basement that I hang everything on. The only things I don't hang in the winter are sheets and towels.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Geomamma View Post
    I hang a lot of my own stuff because of my height - a lot of it will shrink and I get annoyed. But I always fluff them in the dryer for 10 mins to get any wrinkles and crunchiness out. I have a few items of the kids' that I hang, and a lot of my husbands sweaters are laid flat (as are mine, esp anything with cashmere that has to be hand washed). We have 3 ropes strung across the ceiling in our basement for hanging clothes, and we have a clothes tree outside, plus I have a drying rack for sweaters.

I use a dryer sheet for my fluffing as well so my clothes get that nice smell.

Yeah all of that including the height thing, thank goodness for what's supposed to look like dragging jeans on teens fits me just right in length. I about spit MY drink reading Leslie's post cuz JUST this past Friday I asked my DH if instead of getting me some cutsie thing when he got paid if he could buy me a clothes rack instead so I could start hanging our clothes and fly them through the dryer for 10 mins to take the stiffness out. I used to put everything including diapers in the dryer, now I want to save on some hydro costs.

Expert Forum User

I like my dryer!

Expert Forum User

ALL of DS's stuff gets hung to dry! I had a horrible experience when he was a baby where everything that fit the day before it got dried in the drier, no longer fit and I had to go buy all new stuff. Besides, by hanging things to dry, they last longer (things like elastic, stitching, buttons and overall fabric quality) than those dried in a dryer.

I hate clothing that gets all ball-y and lint-y from dryer use. I hang all my underwear to dry (they last waaaaaaay longer that way), all my good shirts and anything else I don't want looking "worn" prematurely.

Shhhhh... I also iron all DS clothing (including his PJs).

MM
    *sigh*

Breastfeeding Success Essentials:
    SUPPORT ~ EDUCATION ~ DETERMINATION

Beat the "Booby Traps" to Breastfeeding Success!

~The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'~

~Do or Do Not. There is no try.~
    Yoda

The only clothes that hang to dry are my pants and DH's work pants otherwise they would shrink and no longer fit. But I hate doing that bc our house is so cold and drafty that they don't dry very quickly. I make sure to use liquid fabric softener in the wash, but every once in a while (esp. in the winter) I get a little bit of a stagnant water smell in my jeans. EVERYTHING else gets dried in the dryer.

Expert Forum User

We are dryers here. It keeps us in order. 20min wash 20min dry fold sort put away

Maybe in the spring I will look into it. I know its a great idea to save energy, I just find when working the amount of hours we do its hard to have the time.! lol

My husband will use the dryer, I avoid it at all costs.

It costs money in electricity (they're a huge hog), they wear our your clothing much sooner too. I hang stuff outside in the summer and inside in the winter. It is just a case of planning things differently. If you do a load a day or something like that, you can do a load, hang the stuff up when it is done and then take it down/fold it when you put on the next load.

Yup, that includes line drying jeans, towels, cloth diapers, etc.

Dryers are too costly on the pocket book and environment to use for everything IMO...

I don't know but if you find me can you send me home???

I dry everything in the dryer except stuff that would shrink that I can't aford to have shrink. We have the HE washer and honestly they are almost dry coming out and it is only about 20 min in the dryer even for towels.

Quote Originally Posted by Horvyboysmom View Post
    I dry everything in the dryer except stuff that would shrink that I can't aford to have shrink. We have the HE washer and honestly they are almost dry coming out and it is only about 20 min in the dryer even for towels.
    Ooh, the place I rented when I moved here, when the new owners moved in (i was a basement apartment) they bought a HE front loader dryer. I couldn't believe how dry the clothes were coming out! I hung stuff in my basement apartment and it was dry so quick! I would seriously invest in one when the time comes, being able to spin that much water out has HUGE advantages....

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by amyunicorn View Post
    I make sure to use liquid fabric softener in the wash
    Liquid fabric softeners are very bad for fabrics too and you should never use them on children's clothing as it prevents flame retardancy. They break down the fabrics prematurely in order to keep them "soft". I just use 1/4c of vinegar in the rinse cycle to prevent static cling and that stale water smell.

MM
    *sigh*

Breastfeeding Success Essentials:
    SUPPORT ~ EDUCATION ~ DETERMINATION

Beat the "Booby Traps" to Breastfeeding Success!

~The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'~

~Do or Do Not. There is no try.~
    Yoda

Administrator Site Admin

Quote Originally Posted by MilkyMama View Post

Shhhhh... I also iron all DS clothing (including his PJs).

MM
    I think I'm going to puke from all the work that I'm imagining!! LOL! When do you sleep??

I was going to make another post about ironing cause I don't even know where my iron is right now!!
    Leslie

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast