Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default City Farming Project

Has anyone heard of this or involved in it?
    http://www.altlondon.org/article.php...70311164810663

I am very intersted in this as it seems to me to come at the issue of Food Security and safety from a number of angles - local, culturally specific, organic etc.

I think this is such a great idea. Too bad I am not much of a gardener
    Mom of 2 girls, unschooler, feminist, runner and just general lover of life.

Need a doula or prenatal classes? www.babeezeinarms.com

"Me thinks that the moment my legs began to move, my thoughts began to flow."
    - Henry David Thoreau

"
    Children are not our own art products to be turned out well, but their own life work in continual process. -Jan Fortune Wood"

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! mamabear's Avatar

I got an email about this on the London Activists Network, and it sounds really neat. I'm not much of a gardener either, but I'd love to learn.
    The only reason I didn't go to the meeting is that I'll be moving soon and, more importantly, starting full-time university courses from home, so I don't imagine I'll have very much free time on my hands, at least not at first, while I'm still getting the hang of balancing school and family.
    It's kind of disappointed about it, though - I would have loved to do it. Maybe next year...

Sounds interesting. We just reserved a London Community Garden plot for the first time....I don't know much about it yet but am looking forward to growing our own veggies this year. My dad is going to help us get it started.

Leslie

Old East, in my garden. Behind the purple door.

Default Urban Gardening

I love to garden, and it was one of the first projects that we did, put in a Veggie Garden. I start all of my own seeds from veggies I have eaten in the year (squash, potatoes). I don't enough veggies to sustain my family, but it keeps me busy.

I actually currently looking to start a herb garden this year full of both edible and medicinal herbs, does anyone hve any sugestions on what plants would be good, or if you are willing to split/provide seeds, I might have another plant to offer you in exchange. I am trying to start all of my own plants to cut back on the pesticides/fertalizers from Nurseries.
    Lindsay
    YouSupporting You On Your Journey From Belly 2 Baby www.bellies2babies.com
    Emillia - Midwife Hospital Birth Jan 2006, Nursed 26 months.
    Terran - Midwife Home Waterbirth Aug 2008. Nursed 14 months.
    Ryker - Midwife Home Waterbirth April 2010. Yes, I am still nursing!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! mamabear's Avatar

Just thought I'd bump this up with an update:

For those who haven't been able to attend the earlier screenings of the City Farming Project documentary that was made by Melissa Parrott, there is an encore screening this Saturday, April 7 at the Landon Library, courtesy of the Council of Canadians-London.

Project manager Rose White will be on-hand to take questions, and it will be an excellent opportunity to find out about getting involved in the basket program or working on the farm.

Saturday, April 7
    2:00pm
    Landon Library
    167 Wortley Road