Expert Forum User

Default amounts of bottles at night??

i have a 6.5 month old. he is on solids and doing fine. i have noticed this week he is not taking as much formula as he used to but i expect that with his increase in solids. he was taking 6 or 7 oz and now maybe 4 or 5 4 times a day. my problem is that at night ( he hasn't slept through since he was 3 months old!) he is waking to eat and this week its been for a snack really. last night he woke at 930 ( went to bed at 630) and screamed at us until we fed him. he took about 2 oz....again at 3 for 1.5 oz.
    i have tried water, giving him back his sookie, cio which latley just escalates to utter histerics and then NOTHING settles him unless its his bottle. he has cut 2 teeth already and i think he is not teething at the moment. also no colds, ear infections etc. we did CIO with our first and it worked after maybe a week but we are having no luck this time ( not looking to start a debate btw) i think its reasonable to feed once at night because he is still young but i am getting tired of getting up for snacks!
    i really think he is waking out of habit now and i am not sure how to break it. any suggestions so we can get some sleep would be awesome!

Ang! Wow. He's a snacker all right. Could it be a growth spurt? I know he's only drinking a little bit, but maybe it's enough to just to satisfy? DS is for sure having a growth spurt right now and he's just 6 months old. He's been up every 1 1/2 - 2 hours at night to nurse. I think it will pass though. Is he just gassy and needs to burp? DS does that too - he'll wake up from a deep sleep so I go and get him and as soon as I pick him up he lets out a big belch and goes right back to sleep. Have you tried just burping him like crazy when he wakes up?

Expert Forum User

tried burping, water you name it... a snack is not ok!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I was in the SAME boat not long ago (and still sort of am). My DD would wake up around 3 times at 6.5 months (she's 10 months now and wakes on average, once). Everytime she wakes she just wants to eat and then goes right back to bed without a fuss. I got a book about healthy sleeping and it suggested to try to offer a bottle or water frequently throughout the day even if you think they might not be too thirsty and with regards to the night, the baby gets used to the calories and needs them. What the answer was (and whats been working for us) is every night just give less and less bottle (about 1/2 oz to 1oz less) and offer no more. This worked very well for us and we are still doing it a little or if she is super mad still, we just give water (so she is filling up, but not on the calories) Teething dosent help either, I'm sure. Good luck, I FEEL your pain, I was just there!

Expert Forum User

within walking distance of downtown but a good part

my DS is 13 months and takes and 8 oz bottle at night in the middle of the night .. at 6 months he was on solids also but still taking 2 bottle through the night .. about 6 oz each ..

I sell AVON I sell SCENTSY JOIN THE PARTY!

I had a friend's baby start waking in the night for a bottle after starting solids and decreasing daytime bottles. She decreased solids drastically until the daytime bottles increased back to normal and then the night feedings vanished. now she's slowly increasing solids again.

Expert Forum User

Default amount

. What the answer was (and whats been working for us) is every night just give less and less bottle (about 1/2 oz to 1oz less)

i actually did that at the 3 am feed and made it 1/2 water. i remember diluting the night bottles with my first until he was weaned off and once it was plain water he stopped getting up for it. i don't actually mind getting up IF he is going to take a bottle but not just to snack. so we will see what happens over the next few nights

Once my son started eating solids he decreased his formula intake during the day. He woke about once a night to drink almost an 8 ounce bottle up until he was about 13 months old and he just kinda stopped doing it. He now has some milk in his sippy cup and a healthy snack before bed!