Thread: Fee for HSing

Default Fee for HSing

I posted on another thread in this board about the possibility of HSing other people's children. I am just tossing the idea around my head right now. I currently run a home daycare and that would mean I would have to make a radical shift and discontinue care if I were to go the route of HSing others.

So, at this point my question would be :

How much do you think is a fair rate for such a service?

Of course, this is assuming you would use it. So, just use your imagination and pretend you are interested! How much is fair?

The only things I know to take into account is that home daycare is around $35 a day and Montessori is around $50 per day. Also, I would provide home made, organic, whole foods - all snacks and lunch. Field trips as well.

Banned

Would this be an all-day thing, the same as "normal" school, or mornings only, or different times for different families?

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Just to consider too, would it be the same for mulitple kids in the same family? or would a person get a discount at a certain point. I have been thinking about your idea, and I think it is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by mum_of_four View Post
    Would this be an all-day thing, the same as "normal" school, or mornings only, or different times for different families?
    Good question because when my mom HS'd us, we worked from 9-12 and then after lunch if we didn't get all our work done.

I have no idea - maybe the cost as daycare? $35 if it was full days.
    Mom of 2 girls, unschooler, feminist, runner and just general lover of life.

Need a doula or prenatal classes? www.babeezeinarms.com

"Me thinks that the moment my legs began to move, my thoughts began to flow."
    - Henry David Thoreau

"
    Children are not our own art products to be turned out well, but their own life work in continual process. -Jan Fortune Wood"

Expert Forum User

I would probably charge a little bit more then daycare costs for a full day - cause with homeschooling I would imagine a larger part of it would be going out into the community to broaden the 'learning envrionment' and this will cost extra in insurance for transporting children for business purposes, additional gas for transportation and any 'admission fees' for such outings.

My guess would be $40.00/day for a 'full work day' meaning that before and afterschool care plus the traditional school hours as imagine that clients looking for a service such as this would be working out of the home and need more then 9-3 care.

Good luck!

Expert Forum User

I think it is a great idea. If I were looking for someone to homeschool my kids I would happily pay $40 each child per day to the right person, especially one providing meals.

Mumoffour - you make a great point about full days. But, like totallyawake said I assume (yes, I assume) that anyone who would need me would be working or they would HS themselves. I think this would be the majority of parents who would ever even consider a service like this.

Mytwobabies - Not sure about sibling discounts. I guess it's kind of like daycare in a sense. A space is a space and the provider still has to pay the same for groceries, outings and insurance for two kids related or not. KWIM?

I think it would be nice to have the mornings to do our "work" and the afternoons to just play around and explore. Whether that be going on an outing or finding interesting bugs in the back yard or learning about physics while tobogganning!

Gosh, this is why I love boards like this. You toss out an idea and great ladies give you pause to think and plan.

I love, love, love this idea. I really am starting to think seriously about this. Next specific is.....how do you find those few families who require such a service? Daycare is easy - there is more demand than supply. I am thinking this is a specific and small market to cater to. Hmmmm....I need to find a way to advertise my services.

Keep the advice and ideas coming.

Banned

I guess I would also think about what age ranges you would cater to, kwim? It probably doesn't matter for the school work portion, because everyone would just work to their own level, but for the afternoon activity bit, not everyone might be interested in the same outings, and not every outing might be appropriate to all age levels. I'm sure there are ways to sort that out though!

It's an excellent idea though! I love it!

FYI: It's about $220 for a small ad in Spectrum. Everyone with a child looks through there, don't they?!
    Last edited by mum_of_four; 09-29-2008 at 01:53 PM.

I think just posting on here, the online classifieds, and through the various HS groups around here would be the way to go.

As far as target families, I think probably parents who want to homeschool but either can't full time, or they work part time and need to "fill in the blanks", if that makes sense. I actually may be one of those parents depending on what our situation is in the future. Our tentative plan is for me to stay home once #2 comes along, but who knows what will happen, right? I may decide or even need to work some casual hours/part-time (I work from home and schedule my own clients, so the flexibility is great). In that case, I'd rather send DD to someone for care that would also include homeschooling as long as we were on the same page about homeschooling practices, etc.

I think it's a wonderful idea, and if you can get the logistics worked out and find the right "fit" with other families (same as daycare, right?), then you may have found a great new endeavor!
    Mama to TWO little sweetie pies!!

Expert Forum User

I'm not sure exactly how much, but I would think it would cost more than normal daycare. Especially if, in essence, you will be providing "before and after care" plus private "school". The process of caring for and educating school-aged children (esp. older school-aged children) is different than caring for infants and toddlers, and thus shouldn't necessessarily use the same pricing structure.

Some considerations that could be an influence:
    - the age(s) of the children you would be home-educating (and thus what their needs would be at each level).
    - if you will be providing the curriculum (if any), supplies, etc., or if the parents are expected to finance this in addition to your fees. If you're going to be using a formal, purchased curriculum, and will be providing it yourself, this will likely significantly increase your operating expenses. Likewise, you'll be using more materials and supplies than you do caring for younger children: the amount of drawing paper alone that Ben (age 4) goes through on a regular basis is quite a lot, let alone when they start getting into more advanced projects using more diverse materials as they get older. (And if you'll be providing lunch and snacks, remember to take into account that older kids eat more too.)
    - if your clients will be doing the same curriculum and activities as your own children, or if the parents will be able to select other options and have you tailor the educations their children receive to their individual children (which is the ideal way to go, but potentially more work for you and thus may cost more).
    - the amount of outings and life-learning trips outside the home that you may be making, and how this could affect your expenses.
    - how many children you're thinking of taking on. What's your maximum/ideal "class-size" (including your own children)? Since you'll be tutoring/facilitating these children one-on-one, and will be working of children of multiple ages and varied interests, make sure you budget so that you can maintain your income while keeping "class sizes" at a level where you'll still be able to meet each child's needs thoroughly.
    - the hours of care: part-time school, full-time school, full-time school plus before and after care? I wouldn't assume that all parents would be looking for full-time schooling plus before and after care: some people may be utilizing your services because they have to work, but others may simply want an educational alternative to public school, while not wanting to actually homeschool their children themselves. After all, plenty of families with a stay-at-home parent send their children to public school or private school, even though they don't need to for the sake of childcare so that they can work, so the same could be true for parents who opt for your tutoring/educational services.

ETA: In all, how much you would need and want to charge would depend on how you choose to do things, and on what the parents expect from you. Homeschooling can be very inexpensive or somewhat expensive; easy, seamless and peaceful or more work; depending on the approach you take. So how much you would need to charge would need to be gauged within that context.
    Last edited by Ceili; 09-30-2008 at 07:58 AM.
    formerly Kathy