Red

Unhappy I don't know what to do anymore...

My daughter is six weeks old and we have been having breastfeeding "issues" since she arrived home. It all began with an overactive letdown, and I have tried many wonderful suggestions that some LM's gave me a while back, with little success. This issue has been compounded by my daughters' absolute refusal to nurse for the better part of the day. She nurses well first thing in the morning, at least twice. Then she may nurse one more time before noon before all hell breaks loose and she becomes a screaming maniac. No amount of soothing calms her, and she will not nurse before, during or after. Hours pass and I continue to try her at the breast... all to no avail. Then I give her 4 oz. of Good Start formula or expressed breastmilk... and she sucks it back like she's never eaten before, burps, settles for a while, until it all starts again. Since the fussing begins after she's already nursed, and before any formula is given, I don't think the fussiness is related to the formula itself. She is not any more gassy than usual, and her stools are normal (except for the greenish tinge related to fussing at the breast and getting little other than foremilk).

This is an EVERY DAY occurrence, and honestly, I think that I might be ready to call it a day with breastfeeding. I have successfully breastfed my two other children, and have NEVER experienced anything like this before. It is so frustrating that I am reduced to tears several times a day. I can't figure this (her!) out, and I'm not really sure what else I can try. Is there such a thing as a "half day, every day nursing strike"??

Thanks for reading! If you have a comment or suggestion, I'm "all ears".

Expert Forum User

Have you contacted La LEche League here in London. I hear only wonderful things!

Expert Forum User

try calling carol peat at wholistic she was an awesome help for us.!
    I am sorry things are not going well.
    Do what you think you need to about ending the nursing. I know there are alot of feelings that go with that
    But I think sometimes we put to much pressure on ourselves.
    Give carol a call and I hope she can help you!

Banned

Try calling the health nurses and get some ideas from them. Sorry you are having such a tough time.I hope things get better fast. Good Luck

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

First of all don't be too hard on yourself, you've made it to 6 weeks so far, and in my experience it is those first few weeks/months that are the hardest. If you want to continue I think getting some outside help would be a very good idea, to see what's going on.
    Cole is 8 years old! January, 2005
    Nate is 5 years old! January, 2008
    Judah is 2 years old! October, 2010
    Avery Grace born & passed Feb 4, 2007.

"Why did I not know that birth is the pinnacle where women discover the courage to become mothers?"
    ó Anita Diamant (The Red Tent)

I second Angela, call Carol Peat at Wholistic Body and Baby 433-6156 (yes, I have the number memorized ). She's awesome. Could it be that your baby is allergic to your milk? I've heard of that before. Don't be hard on yourself...if you're ready to give it up, that's OK! BUT, if you're willing to tough it out, I would definitely see Carol before anything else. I swear she could get a baby to nurse from a rock. Literally. Good luck!!

I know how hard BF can be. I would keep trying.. I had a hard time too. My issues were due to lack of supply but my daughter would whine and throw her head around and fuss at the breast and I kept at it. She will still whine at the breast sometimes but she has been doing so much better. Do you think her fussiness is gas related?

Red

Thanks to all who replied to this thread, and for all of your kind words and suggestions. I appreciate it!

I had my LO at the midwife yesterday afternoon for our final appointment, and I got the shock of my life when we weighed her. At her 2 week appt. she was 9lbs 6oz (her BW was 8lbs 14oz). Yesterday she weighed in at 13lbs 9oz!!!! That's a gain of one pound a week!!! I was worried that through all the fussing, she wasn't nursing well enough to gain an appropriate amount of weight. Was I ever wrong!

I think that we're turning a corner here. She's been nursing well, and she didn't get a bottle of anything at all yesterday. I am certain that the fussing is just normal infant behaviour, so I'm not going to worry about it anymore.

Thanks again for your help & support!

Expert Forum User

Yay that's so wonderful! Sometimes you just need that confirmation that everything you ARE doing is right She's fine, she's healthy and appearently she's growing like a weed. She is likely going through or has just gone through (i.e. all the fussiness last week) her 6 week growth spurt. That's a hurdle that many women cannot make it over so congrats to you and your chubby little girl!

MM
    *sigh*

Breastfeeding Success Essentials:
    SUPPORT ~ EDUCATION ~ DETERMINATION

Beat the "Booby Traps" to Breastfeeding Success!

~The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'~

~Do or Do Not. There is no try.~
    Yoda