Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! Mommy2Cuties's Avatar

Question Strong Urine Smell

Should I be concerned if Kiana has very strong smelling urine? I thought it was a sign of dehydration but she drinks tons! I tried googling it and all I got were results regarding cats

Thought I would ask before I bugged the doctor. TIA OH also her skin felt very hot (not temp but I think my thermometre (haha totally spelled that wrong) sucks and she was very grumpy this morning).

ETA: Just called telehealth - they wont help me because Kiana is not with me. Just got a call from daycare.... fever of OVER 102 and she just had a small seizure they think.... going to get her (when DH gets me) and take her in.

**Update** on page 2
    Last edited by Mommy2Cuties; 09-23-2008 at 10:50 AM.
    I stole Turtle's Lollipop! xoxo

Nicole, mama to Miss A (April 2005), Miss K (Sept 2007), Angel Baby (August 2008), and Baby A (June 2009)

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I think that's how you spell thermometre in Canada, and thermometer in the U.S. ?

Anyway if it's just for a few days I don't think you have to worry, if you can think of any different foods she's eaten OR if she's had any of the usual smellypee makers: brussel sprouds, broccoli, garlic, etc.

Could call telehealth and ask. I usually do that if I'm not sure it's important, so that then if I do go to theclinic I can say "Well they TOLD me to come so blame them "
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Quote Originally Posted by *allie* View Post
    I think that's how you spell thermometre in Canada, and thermometer in the U.S. ?
    Oh good Yeah for me then lol.

if you can think of any different foods she's eaten OR if she's had any of the usual smellypee makers: brussel sprouds, broccoli, garlic, etc.
    Nope nothing out of the ordinary unless she had something weird at MIL's on Saturday night but that is HIGHLY unlikely.

Could call telehealth and ask. I usually do that if I'm not sure it's important, so that then if I do go to theclinic I can say "Well they TOLD me to come so blame them "
    Good idea, I normally do that but then I have found they always err on the side of caution and tell me to take them in or they totally over react and make me rush in there to have the health professionals look at me like I am a nutso lol.

Nicole, mama to Miss A (April 2005), Miss K (Sept 2007), Angel Baby (August 2008), and Baby A (June 2009)

Could it be a bladder infection? With the hot skin (possible fever?) and grumpy crying mood it makes me a little concerned...

Red

Strong smelling urine first thing in the morning is quite normal, since it's always a little more concentrated (aside from the fact that the urine in the diaper has been there all night!). Dehydration shouldn't be a concern if she's drinking "tons"!

Expert Forum User

She could have an infection. If shes warm and fussy then It wouldn't hurt to get her checked out. You can also try cranberry juice as it can also help with the strong smell.
    April - Mommy to Ivy, Sophia & Ryker

Thanks ladies - just probably a little "paranoid" because she did have a UTI when she was about a month old and the doctor warned me that because of that her risk of getting more is higher. She spent 3 or 4 days in the hospital because of it - guess I am just trying ot catch it before it gets too bad.

I'd call Nicole! Better to be safe than sorry!

I know that's not what you want to hear but........

Cath
    Catherine
    Mama of 2 wonderful Children,
    July 2006 & January 2008

No no i did need to hear it. I tend to jump the gun too much when it comes to the girls' health that I guess i needed another mama out there to say "it's okay to phone, you are not over reacting"

Thanks"

GRRRRRRRR Telehealth can not help me because Kiana is not with me. Apparently it is "illegal for her to ask me questions because the child is not in my care right now" I asked if I could go with how she was acting this morning (like an hour ago) and she said no. Lovely.

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Weird couldn't you pretend she's with you??? Yeah sounds like it could possibly be an infection. Especially if it's more than just the morning pee.
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

Edited original post ... She has a fever of over 102 (we gave her tylenol this morning because I suspect a fever but wasnt sure) and she had a mini fever seizure at daycare... DH going to get her and me and then taking her in.

I cant even go a week without having some sort of thing happen. Fighting tears even though I know she is probably okay. I guess the reality of rushes to the ER and tons of doctors appts are sinking in as they will become more frequent as the girls get older.
    Last edited by Mommy2Cuties; 09-22-2008 at 10:32 AM.

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Oh Nicole I am soooo sorry to hear that. i'll be thinking of you. The seizure is most likely due to her fever climbing fast( my dd did that scary scary though) Keep us posted I'll be thinking about her
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

Thanks I am just freaking out because we gave her tylenol which should been trying to bring it down..... so I wonder how high it would be if we hadn't of done that

Poor little girl! Give her a big hug from us. Call me and let me know if you guys need anything.

Please let me know how shes doing.
    Cath
    Catherine
    Mama of 2 wonderful Children,
    July 2006 & January 2008

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast