Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default French Immersion vs Catholic school...opinions please...

My dd REALLY wants to go to school ASAP. all of her friends from the street are now in school or home daycare. She turned 3 this summer so I thought I'd better make some decisions.

I've been told I'm zoned for Sir John A Macdonald but how do I know for sure..? I've looked at the websites but it's not that clear. We won't be enrolling her there, that's why we're looking into other options.

Other options we have are Catholic or French Immersion, but again how do I know what schools I'm zoned for? I've heard that French Immersion doesn't offer JK is that true?

Major intersection near me is Adelaide/Sunningdale, any help is great.

FI does not offer JK. Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by MomtoS&E View Post
    FI does not offer JK. Hope this helps!
    Thanks, I also just read that from reading other posts. I suppose that leaves Catholic, unless the new public school will be built in my neighbourhood.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Hi there:

There is also French Immersion offered in the Catholic school system as well as the public board. If you are unclear about what school she will attend when she goes, I would call both school boards to find out for certain...I have heard of ppl living right by a school but being in a different zone and having to go to another school farther away! Doesn't make much sense but it happens.
    There's no JK in the French Immersion system. You could always enroll her for JK (English) though and then she could start in the SK FI the following year. It's really up to you! Good luck!

Why not send her to the one closest to you for jk if she's set on jk?

I am surprisedthere's no jk there for f.i.
    Here in Windsor, they HAVE to go to JK to take FI. If you don't start it in JK you can't get into FI!
    I was thinking of FI for ds but didn't want him in JK so, he didn't do FI.
    Just interesting how it's different from city to city eh.

Perhaps ask a neighbour even, what schools you're zoned?
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

I heard FI is a great program but lots of Catholic schools do not provide the program. I personally enjoy Catholic schools and I prefer them for my children.

Expert Forum User

BOth of my dd's have done JK at the english public school and switch for SK. I think a lot of kids do this.

"I heard FI is a great program but lots of Catholic schools do not provide the program"

Blonde: You live near Strathroy right? This could be the reason perhaps? I know here in London there are a few French immersion Catholic elementary schools. the closest one to me is St Anthony (it was converted from a regular English Catholic school a couple of years ago into an all Catholic FI one). It is just down the road from where I live but my son goes to a public one (our taxes go to the public board) and he's bussed there.
    Last edited by 2boysmom; 09-20-2008 at 03:31 PM.

Expert Forum User

You can only go the the catholic school if you are a practicing catholic. I believe the one for that area is Blessed Kateri (that's where my niece goes and they live just north of Mother Theresa).

There is a public school being build in your area but I don't think it is scheduled for completion until 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by 2boysmom View Post
    "I heard FI is a great program but lots of Catholic schools do not provide the program"

Blonde: You live near Strathroy right? This could be the reason perhaps? I know here in London there are a few French immersion Catholic elementary schools. the closest one to me is St Anthony (it was converted to a regular English Catholic school a couple of years ago into an all Catholic FI one). It is just down the road from where I live but my son goes to a public one (our taxes go to the public board) and he's bussed there.

Yes that is right
    And I think if your both FI and you want your child to continue with the Catholic religion you have to become a member of the church and volunteer on sundays or something rather so they can still have their communion and confirmation and such. This is what a cousin of mine does since her lil ones are in public FI school and they are catholic.

Blonde: I am not officially Catholic, despite the fact my parents are. They never had me officially baptised, so this is the reason I am sending my son to Public school. I never pursued the religion any further..I have been to church a # of times. my DH and I were going to get married in a Catholic church but the priest was just too strange for our liking and furthermore, he wanted us to drive into Woodstock every Sunday to go to his church (he wouldn't accept us agreeing to go to a Catholic church here in london just down the road from us but it had to be at his church) so we said forget it....and got married in the United church instead and paid the $400 or so to use the church just to get married in. I am not really of any religion to be honest.
    My brother back in the 70's attended kintergarten fulltime at a Catholic school and I was enrolled fulltime at the public school...my parents switched him over to the public system the following year, due to problems with the principal of that particualr Catholic school he attended and some of the nuns who would tie elastic bands around his wrists and fingers when he'd do things they did not like or approve of. It was basically a form of abuse and that they ddi not approve of in the least!

Quote Originally Posted by 2boysmom View Post
    My brother back in the 70's attended kintergarten fulltime at a Catholic school and I was enrolled fulltime at the public school...my parents switched him over to the public system the following year, due to problems with the principal of that particualr Catholic school he attended and some of the nuns who would tie elastic bands around his wrists and fingers when he'd do things they did not like or approve of. It was basically a form of abuse and that they did not approve of in the least!

That's terrible. I can promise anyone that now adays Catholic schooling is like public schooling with religion in the mix. I've been in catholic until grade 8 and then in high school it was public seemed all the same. good luck in ur search

Quote Originally Posted by *allie* View Post
    Why not send her to the one closest to you for jk if she's set on jk?

I am surprisedthere's no jk there for f.i.
    Here in Windsor, they HAVE to go to JK to take FI. If you don't start it in JK you can't get into FI!
    I was thinking of FI for ds but didn't want him in JK so, he didn't do FI.
    Just interesting how it's different from city to city eh.
    Interesting, where my parents are in York Region FI only starts in grade 1

It seems to vary for when a child can enter FI system all over Ontario by the sounds of it...so weird if you ask me! Why doesn't the whole province get on board with things when it comes to this particualar issue? Wouldn't it make things a whole lot easier for people, espeically people who move around all over Ontario often!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! mamabear's Avatar

I used to live in the PEEL district and FI started at SK when I went. It's interesting to see the differences. I was talking to someone on another board who is also in Ontario and there FI and Catholic are ONLY available together, and they're apparently more progressive and better with all sorts of things (haven't heard that about London Catholic schools). But that's also a rural area, so I wonder if maybe they just don't have enough students to make up 2 separate boards?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast