Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default bf but one bottle formula--when whole milk?

My 8 month old is primarily bf but has started getting one bottle of formula at bedtime from my dh, while I'm at school. Pumping just is not feasible and I'm fine with the one bottle of formula but dh doesn't like it. He's worried about what happened in China despite my reassurances...anyway when can I switch to cow's milk for that one bottle? I wouldn't consider a complete switch and will continue to bf at all other times, so I'm thinking I don't really need to rely on formula as a primary source of his nutrition.

Is it too early to introduce it?
    Cole is 8 years old! January, 2005
    Nate is 5 years old! January, 2008
    Judah is 2 years old! October, 2010
    Avery Grace born & passed Feb 4, 2007.

"Why did I not know that birth is the pinnacle where women discover the courage to become mothers?"
    Anita Diamant (The Red Tent)

I think you are supposed to wait until 12 mos. Some docs might say 9 mos? But my understanding is thats not a great rec. Personally based on my limited knowledge I would wait til 12 mos.

Banned

OK, no idea what happened in China. I really should read the newspaper or something. I believe it is 12 months for cow's milk, or that's what I've always gone by anyway. At 8 months I would think other forms of dairy should be OK though. Does it have to be a bottle?

I thought I heard 9 months somewhere, and I did wait until 12 months with my oldest but I didn't know if that was more because it was completely replacing breast milk/formula? which it's not in this case.

"Why did I not know that birth is the pinnacle where women discover the courage to become mothers?"

China: Infants are dying due to a contaminant in formula.

Thats the thing MOF he eats yogurt, cheese and stuff with milk in it. Is it something in straight milk that he can't have? lactose maybe?

edited to add: yes a bottle it's just before bed and after dinner. He is nursed again when I get home around 11pm but I think he would likely wake up or not settle at all for dh without the bottle

Banned

I think the reason that yogurt and cheese is OK before milk is that the milk proteins are broken down by the bacteria that make the yogurt and cheese, whereas the milk proteins are intact in the milk, and harder to digest.
    You could always try for one night to skip the bottle and see if DH can settle him. Does he eat well? I find mine always wants to be fed if I am here, but isn't that fussy if I am not here, will just be cuddled to sleep instead. And I haven't noticed a difference in how long he sleeps depending on who put him to bed. If he is getting fed when you get home, I don't see why he couldn't just go to sleep without the bottle. Ha! Famous last words, I know!

Banned

This is the recommendation from the Health Unit:

Gradually introduce whole (homo) milk between 9-12 months when baby is eating a variety of foods from 4 food groups

I'd at least aim for the 9 months I'd think. They can react to cow's milk but not cheese/yogurt, etc.

I agree, very hard decision to make with the issues with what you hear about a lot of formulas I'm sure we don't have the extreme issues that exist with the China scenario, but still scary

what happened in china? was it the formula or the water? coz the water contamination mixed with formula issue is a huge problem in much of the world so china would be nothing new. yk? how long are you gone? how many times/week? i leave my LO 2 hours/week for a class and i do pump but it's a pita. if it's not too long maybe he could walk him instead? he might not be hungry but needs something soothing. a routine of a walk in the carrier or stroller might do the trick... my older dd's dad was gonna keep my baby for me if i didnt get a daycare spot and this was the plan.

Quote Originally Posted by lhastie View Post
    I agree, very hard decision to make with the issues with what you hear about a lot of formulas I'm sure we don't have the extreme issues that exist with the China scenario, but still scary
    Exactly, that is why I was wondering which one would be best. I'm not overly concerned about formula here, but dh is pretty worried about it. I wouldn't do give it too him until 9 months but has anyone on here given there babe milk that early? Any problems?

Myraah, I'm gone mon, tues, wed 515 until 1030/11pm. I nurse him before and after. He won't make it without a bottle. Also I'm not all that confident in Dh's abilities to get him asleep without one. Things are so rushed those nights and dh needs to get the kids asleep by 730/8pm as he goes to work at 3am and needs to sleep himself. We pretty much have dinner together and then I'm gone.
    Last edited by Carol; 09-17-2008 at 11:04 AM.

China: It's the formula, a company wanted to save some $$ and watered down the formula and put melamine in it so that it would pass the government checks for protein. 3 babies have died and 1000's are sick. I cannot imagine it happening in Canada but dh is freaked by it and it is worrisome when you consider how much faith we blindly put in these out for profit companies.

maybe a bottle of water could cover him for the 5 hours since you bf before and after...plus some food? I often give my LO (9 months) a bottle with water in it when we go for walks or after an active period.

okay yeah i think it's too long to go without personally. can you pump? i know it's a pita!

Quote Originally Posted by myrrah View Post
    okay yeah i think it's too long to go without personally. can you pump? i know it's a pita!

It is a PITA but it's also that I don't know when I'd fit it in between both kids, full time school/studying, I'm tapped out! Plus The boy eats like a horse! LOL He nurses every 3/4 hours + solids and obviously that one bottle when I'm gone. I'd feel like a dairy if I pumped between feedings. And I'd worry about taking away from the next nursing session.
    I am going to pump on Fridays because he will be with my mom all day, but those pumping sessions are going to need to cover the following friday. I won't give him more than one bottle of formula/day so all my pumping is going to cover that time frame.

Wow I must be crazy! Wouldn't it be easier if I could just take him to class? -- The look on my writing prof.'s face just might be worth the attempt...he declared first class that he hates children. I don't think he would be sympathetic to my cause. LOL

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast