Expert Forum User

Default learning to knit

I saw these really cute puppets that I would love to make for the kids, but I don't know how to knit! I found a class on the Spectrum and wonder if it would be worth while taking? It's $45, which is a lot (i'm a stay at home mom with little spending money) and I wonder if I would be able to make these puppets by CHristmas even if I do take the course? The puppets are very similar to mittens, I don't know how much skill is needed. How did you learn to knit? Anyone ever taken a class? Would I be able to have enough skill to make mittens by Christmas time? Thanks for you input.

Expert Forum User

I learned by watching online videos. I only know how to do two types of stitches but it seems to do the trick with most projects.

MM
    *sigh*

Breastfeeding Success Essentials:
    SUPPORT ~ EDUCATION ~ DETERMINATION

Beat the "Booby Traps" to Breastfeeding Success!

~The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'~

~Do or Do Not. There is no try.~
    Yoda

girlsmum

I've had a lot of teachers, one who if I made one mistake, just like her mother did with her, she'd rip out my entire work and tell me to start again. The rest comes naturally really, even my teen knits as well, she's making fingerless gloves right now. I've got 3 projects on the go ATM. It's really all kinds of variations of a knit and purl stitch.

Banned

My mom taught me when I was very little. If you have the two basic stitches (knit and purl) you can pretty much make anything. I'm sure you could find an online site to teach you!

Expert Forum User

I learned how to knit last year. I've learned mainly from the knittinghelp.com website, but also have a begin to knit book that's in my knitting box in case I get stuck on something where there is no internet. If you started now you'd be able to do quite a bit by Christmas. Depending on the pattern on the puppets I'd guess them to be some where around the beginner to intermediate level.

There are 2 style of knitting, I knit English style (yarn in right hand) but a lot of people knit Continental (yarn in left hand)style. To learn to knit I first did a small square of knit (maybe 5x5"), and then did the same with purling and then tried a rib square (knit 2, purl 2) for the same amount. Once I got that down I jumped right into projects and started with things like bibs, booties and hats (I was pregnant at the time).

Oh, my sister in law took classes through Micheal's. They teach, knitting and purling, knit two together and yarn overs but that's about all. She's stuck in dishcloth land. I'm supposed to teach her how to make hats
    Last edited by a_bun_in_the_oven; 09-09-2008 at 01:58 PM.

I belong to an online knitting community called ravelry, and I've met lots of London knitters. We have a drop-in gathering on the first Monday of each month at Coffee Culture on Dundas St. across from the Central Library at 7 p.m. You are more than welcome to drop in with some yarn and sticks and one of us would be thrilled to teach you the ropes! Just introduce yourself!

Expert Forum User

Oh my gosh, this is great. I don't know why I didn't think of just learning off the internet. I found the knittinghelp.com videoas, but it doesn't tell me with what size needles I should start with, what size should I start with? Also does it matter which yarn I use?

I'd like to come to the community of knitters, too bad I missed this month. So Oct 6th will be the next one?

Monday, October 6 is the next gathering for knitters at Coffee Culture on Dundas St/Wellington at 7 pm.

To learn more about yarn and needles, I suggest visiting London Yarns on Hyde Park & Fanshawe. The ladies there are really helpful if you take in a project/pattern - they can direct you to the right size needles and some appropriate yarn. I think their website is www.londonyarns.com. You could start there for hours and location.

When I first learned how to knit, I snagged a lot of children's knitting books from the library for projects that were more of my pace. I also like the online video tutorials for learning techniques. There's so much out there! Good luck!

Expert Forum User

Thanks for the tips. I will probably be coming to the gather ig because I have questions already!

I did go out taoday and get needles and yarn already so I've been doing a bit this evening. I have some questions if anyone is willing to answer them that would be great. I started with
    Long-Tail Cast-On

Also known as Double Cast-On or Continental Cast-On

I think I have that going ok now. The video said that this was like a knit so I didn't need to do a knit stitch but could just go to purl. I don't really know what this means, but I think I like the knit stitch better than the purl, can I still do a knit stitch? Is a knit stitch for transitioning into a purl or are they both stitches you can use the whole way through?

You can knit every single row - that's called garter stitch - it looks bumpy on both sides, and both sides look exactly the same.

If you knit one row and purl the next row and you repeat these two rows, you will be knitting in what's called 'stockinette stitch'. One side will be bumpy (the purl side), and one side will be smooth (the knit side). Usually the smooth knit side is the 'right side' - the side of your knitting that everyone can see. It really depends on your project.

Your cast on is equal to a knit row, so if you were knitting in stockinette, your next row would be a purl row. If you are knitting in garter stitch, it really doesn't matter because all of your rows are using the knit stitch all the way across. Does that make sense?

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Quote Originally Posted by corazenia View Post
    Monday, October 6 is the next gathering for knitters at Coffee Culture on Dundas St/Wellington at 7 pm.

To learn more about yarn and needles, I suggest visiting London Yarns on Hyde Park & Fanshawe. The ladies there are really helpful if you take in a project/pattern - they can direct you to the right size needles and some appropriate yarn. I think their website is www.londonyarns.com. You could start there for hours and location.

When I first learned how to knit, I snagged a lot of children's knitting books from the library for projects that were more of my pace. I also like the online video tutorials for learning techniques. There's so much out there! Good luck!
    No way. I should have read this thread earlier. I've either learning to knit or quilt this winter. Looks like knitting may win. I'll put this on my calander and hope nothing else comes up.
    Stop thinking you’re not ready. – Nobody ever feels 100% ready when an opportunity arises. Because most great opportunities in life force us to grow beyond our comfort zones, which means we won’t feel totally comfortable at first.

~ Breastfed for 7 months, 2 weeks and 3 days ~

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by corazenia View Post
    You can knit every single row - that's called garter stitch - it looks bumpy on both sides, and both sides look exactly the same.

If you knit one row and purl the next row and you repeat these two rows, you will be knitting in what's called 'stockinette stitch'. One side will be bumpy (the purl side), and one side will be smooth (the knit side). Usually the smooth knit side is the 'right side' - the side of your knitting that everyone can see. It really depends on your project.

Your cast on is equal to a knit row, so if you were knitting in stockinette, your next row would be a purl row. If you are knitting in garter stitch, it really doesn't matter because all of your rows are using the knit stitch all the way across. Does that make sense?
    It does make sense. I had a hard time with the purl row, I switch the yarn to my right hand instead of left and if feels much better. I'll keep practicing! Thanks so much for your help.