Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default JK/SK --HELP! All day every other or every day half day?

Ladies I need some input on sending the kids all day every other day vs. half day everyday to SK....DS is registered at a half day every day SK program right now & I'm considering switching him to FI starting this September....I have some concerns though-1: the whole getting his own snowsuit, boots, mittens etc on by himself & properly in the winter ...also making sure he gets snack time at recess (school is currently not on balanced day) Outside play at the SK level (re: supervision of the smaller students during lunch time & recess whether or not they are able to mingle with kids much older) & for those of you who are SAHMs...did you find the adjustment process tough going to an all day level straight away (DS did not go to JK) I have honestly taught him quite a lot at home & he was involved in sports & playgroups so I didn't feel he needed to go last year....I'm just torn on what to do...leave him in the home school to go every day for a couple hours or have him go all day every other....there are pros & cons to it for him on both ends so I just want to hear your thoughts through your experiences...thanks! (Just so you know the other school I'm considering is Princess Anne FI & I have heard great things vs. Bonaventure PS which I have also heard has an amazing primary division)

Expert Forum User

My dd who is only 3.5 is starting full days everyother. I'm a little torn..My oldest went half days last year, but is starting FI this year. I know at some schools have older student helpers will help with coats, boots, etc. My older dd could have done full days right off the bat. She loves school, excelled in JK and is doing well beyond what the other JKers were doing. She got bored at home. But on the other hand my little one is different and I think it will be a big adjustment. I know she'll be fine, but its just a big change. I don't think I'm any help, lol, but good luck!

LOL! Thanks you too! DS is ready academically I'm sure to handle the FI part & being there for 6 hours a day but I'm just nervous.... LOL He's my baby & he'll be out in the world all on his own.....booo-hooo lol

Expert Forum User

You know your child best. I don't think my little guy could handle full days, but he is very 'young' for his age if you kwim, plus he will be a JKer. My eldest was definitely ready for full days right away, and he did not go to JK either, although he was in a preschool two half-days a week.

Then again, he may suprise you! Why not put him in the FI program and see how he does? You can always change later if it's not working out.
    Please always show kindness in your posts as the person receiving it may need it more than you will ever know.

SAHM to two boys, 13 and 7.

I Love full days, my daughter is going into SK this year and she too got bored at home on the off days. If it was up to her she would be there everyday. At her school they have helpers for coats and such, but I noticed most of them could do the majority of the 'getting ready' on there own. The small kids have their own play area that is fenced off and the eat their snacks in the class room to prevent littering in the school yard.

I often wonder how much the kids could get done on a half day schedule, They just start getting into building an amazing tower/castle but have to take it apart because it is time to go home. Our teacher said that the kids on full day don't feel the pressure to 'rush' things and are able to produce amazing things.(she has taught on both schedules.)

I think for myself half days would make my days even crazier, I would walk her to school and then give the other kids a snack and such and then it is almost time to go back to school. There isn't even enough time to get the groceries done.

I LOVE FULL DAYS!!

We had our choice of a full-day, every other school and a half-day everyday. We opted for the half day in the afternoon. I'm a SAHM also. The half day school we felt was a better school. Also, Kellan does not nap or have a quiet time in the afternoon. I knew he would not do well having to have one at school and the whole concept of a quiet time at school bothers me anyways. Also, I have to be home every afternoon because our youngest naps every afternoon. That give me every morning for Kell or Ko's appointments and to still do something with them together. We just felt that it worked out best for our family. We sat down and made a pros and cons list of both the school and half vs full day and this is what we came up with.

Expert Forum User

We have no choice, as we send our kids to a rural school, so they are full day every other day. And my kids love it. There are helpers to help them with their coats, mitts, etc. and the kids love the helpers. From a parents point of view, I can get more done and can arrange appointments around those days. From a teachers point of view, I can get more accomplished in the classroom.

Good luck in your decision.
    Kim
    Mom to four great kids: Hunter, Trent, Emma and Logan

Expert Forum User

My kids are on full days every other day, and I like this system personally because I have to work and honestly it makes my life easier....
    That said, I don't really think it's the best for the kids. I totally believe that being at school every day and repeating the same routine (ABC's, counting, name recognition and writing etc) makes it easier for them to learn. When they go half days every day, you repeat those lessons daily.... when they go all day every other day they only do these lessons once a day so your child gets exposed to the basic things they learn in school only half as many times..... KWIM???? This is the opinion of the kindergarten teachers that I know personally anyway......

FULL DAYS!!!!!... for sure!

Okay well after all this I have decided to keep him in our home school and send him half day every day...it may be more of a pain in the butt for me but I think it willbe an easier time for him...same routine every single day & I think 2 hours every day will give him just what he needs...I just don't like that it's not segregated play areas per age of student at my home school it is & I like that ... plus it's one more year before I have to worry about is he putting his coat & hat & mitts on ...is he eating enough etc etc ....plus if we decide we like it there (the school) in grade one he can come home every day for lunch...I like that he could have that option as we ar ebasically right across the road from the school..thanks for all your input girls

Expert Forum User

I liked the idea of 1/2 days everyday to get the little ones into a routine, so I can see why you made this choice. As I was reading the posts I was thinking......you may not have got into the FI school so late. My DD is starting full days every other, JK at a diff FI school than you have mentioned and we were told at the Feb meeting that if we didn't register shortly, there may not be space. FI is becoming very popular. I am not sure how DD is going to do with the independant dressing, but I am assuming there will be helpers, as she never left her JK class without coat and boots on properly.

To suppress any concerns, every TVDSB student has a right to attend their designated FI school. You will not be turned away for registering at this time of year. It is *preferred* that you register by March since that is when staffing for the following year is allotted. This prevents having to change classes once the year has begun.

Be aware however, that beyond a certain time in the year (I am not sure when, but before the first reporting period) if you wish your child to enter into FI at any of the entry points (SK, gr. 1 and 7) they will have to pass a French proficiency test. This would also be the case if you wish for your child to enter FI at any other grade level (gr 2-6).

Yeah they told me he would have no problem getting in as they would have to make room just like they would have to make room at his home public school....but either way it's not happening now I feel good about the choice...again thanks

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by mom2two View Post
    To suppress any concerns, every TVDSB student has a right to attend their designated FI school. You will not be turned away for registering at this time of year. It is *preferred* that you register by March since that is when staffing for the following year is allotted. This prevents having to change classes once the year has begun.

Be aware however, that beyond a certain time in the year (I am not sure when, but before the first reporting period) if you wish your child to enter into FI at any of the entry points (SK, gr. 1 and 7) they will have to pass a French proficiency test. This would also be the case if you wish for your child to enter FI at any other grade level (gr 2-6).
    So why would they put that fear into us at the info night that there may not be space??????
    Makes sense that it is a public school system and I should have a choice, but they stated more than once that they will fill up fast and for sure, if you are from out of area do not even think about applying as there will not be space for you.

Mitchell, ON, far enough to be quaint but close enough to visit

My son has always gone full days every other day we live in a smaller town and there is no half day option, i really like the full day. Yes a little tired but they adjust quickly and gives them longer to get use to the day. I think half days don't give them enough time at school. They just get there, do attendance, do a bit of work, snack, outside, and then it's pretty much time to go home. Seems like the day would be more rushed to me. Just my opinion as like i've said we don't have half days. Also the whole days gave me time to volunteer at the school as some things were afternoon times and my LO was still in school. I have another child going to JK this year and he is full days every other day. I think if they make kindergarten full days ever day that the full day every other day kids will be well prepared as they are use to the day being longer not shorter....good luck with you decision....it'll depend what fits with your family and your schedule..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast