Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! Mommy2Cuties's Avatar

Question Swimming Lesson help! (which class???)

I want to sign Alysa up for swimming lessons but looking at the spectrum I have no clue which one to put her in. There are 3 or 4 different classes for her age which focus on different things. I would prefer a class that is fun but also where she will learn something meaningful, ya know?

Any suggestions or recommendations? Here are the classes that I found.

Swim Kids - Crocodile
    Children (ages 3 - 5 years) start independent glides and kicking in deep water. Endurance is built through increasing swimming distances for front and back swim. Swimmers learn dolphin kick. One instructor for six students. 30 minute classes

Swim Kids - Crocodile/Whale
    This is a combination class for children (ages 3 - 5 years) who will learn to swim independently while increasing their distance in front and back swims. Swimmers also learn throwing assists. One instructor for 6 students. 30 minute classes

Swim Kids - Salamander
    Children aged 3 to 5 years learn new swimming skills through assisted floats and glides learned through games and songs. They will also learn to jump into chest deep water. One instructor for 6 students. 30 minute class.

Swim Kids - Sea Turtle
    For children (ages 3 - 5) who have never taken lessons before or children who are ready to particpate without a parent or caregiver.This level develops skills in swimming, glides, and floating while building awareness of deep water. One instructor for six students. 30 minute class.

Swim Kids - Sunfish
    Children (ages 3 - 5 years) work on stroke and skill progressions. Learning also focuses on good judgement in, on and around the water as well as entries and floats in deep water. One instructor for 6 students. 30 minute class.

Swim Kids - Whale
    Children (ages 3 - 5 years) learn to swim independently while increasing their distance in front and back swims. Swimmers also learn throwing assists. One instructor for 6 students. 30 minute classes

She has taken swimming lessons before (when she was like a year old) but since then she hasnít taken any real lessons but she loves to swim and isn't that afraid of the water. At the beach she was walking on her hands laying down flat on her tummy and she isnt afraid to put her face in the water (sometimes it takes some coaxing).

Thanks in advance!
    I stole Turtle's Lollipop! xoxo

Nicole, mama to Miss A (April 2005), Miss K (Sept 2007), Angel Baby (August 2008), and Baby A (June 2009)

Expert Forum User

The first they start off with is Sea Turtle, then pass to Salamandar, etc.
    Stacey

Ohh... Okay I was totally confused because it was all in the same age bracket. Thanks so much!

Does anyone have their LOs in any of these classes?

Nicole, mama to Miss A (April 2005), Miss K (Sept 2007), Angel Baby (August 2008), and Baby A (June 2009)

mumtobelle

Yes, start her in Sea Turtle.

Expert Forum User

I have my youngest DD signed up for Sea Turtle starting sept 8th, and my older DD is going into Salamadar (after being in Sea Turtle 3 times!).
    Stacey

Expert Forum User

My LO is finishing sea turtle tomorrow. I think the only guideline to pass is that they are comfortable in the water and can dunk their heads under. Its a great program. She's registered for Salamander next. She has no problems going under water at all. After Salamander is Sunfish, Crocodile and then Whale.

Quote Originally Posted by mackenzie&averys-mum View Post
    After Salamander is Sunfish, Crocodile and then Whale.
    Thanks so much

Quote Originally Posted by Mommy2Cuties View Post
    Ohh... Okay I was totally confused because it was all in the same age bracket. Thanks so much!

Does anyone have their LOs in any of these classes?
    I think I am going to sign Xavier up for sea turtle.....what pool will you be going to ?
    Becky Mom to X and C

Expert Forum User

My DD completed Sea Turtle this summer and then started Salamander. She will probably need to repeat Salamander. It has been a great experience for her though and she has become MUCH more comfortable in the water. I hope your DD enjoys it.

Quote Originally Posted by mommy0519 View Post
    I think I am going to sign Xavier up for sea turtle.....what pool will you be going to ?
    No idea, I have no clue what would be a good pool to go to.

Expert Forum User

I notice your profile says east end. Carling heights is a nice pool. Its always fairly warm. That's where we go.

SuperMom

I love the "whale" pool at South London! They have a shallow end where the kids can actually touch the bottom without standing on the platform thing.

My older dtr didn't do well in the public swimming lessons because there was a girl (who should have moved up) who splashed alot when they played their little games. I had my girls in private school lessons through Finan. They both did well there. I should look at starting that again....

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMom View Post
    I love the "whale" pool at South London! They have a shallow end where the kids can actually touch the bottom without standing on the platform thing.
    That's where we go too, and really like it.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMom View Post
    My older dtr didn't do well in the public swimming lessons because there was a girl (who should have moved up) who splashed alot when they played their little games. I had my girls in private school lessons through Finan. They both did well there. I should look at starting that again....
    That's my biggest worry with my youngest starting Sea Turtle. I know she has to get use to the water, but she absolutley freaks if water is splashed on her face lol. Should be fun.
    Stacey

I would suggest Salamander they learn different floats, jumping in, pool safety and putting their face in the water
    akoncan